Switch to Forum Live View views on other religions
6 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2008 - 11:13AM #1
Eddie13
Do mostn evangelicals believe that all other religions are satanic.If so where in the bible does it say so?  I know that some ultra conservative fundemantalists, believe that all non christian religion ( including roman catholicism and other supposedly christian churches) are actually satanic  and that followers of these religions are being decieved.  Personally i believe that all other religions are an attempt by man to answer essential questions by   creating religions based on how they as humans concieve. god.  It is only natural for man to seek answers to spritual questions, one does not have to be decieved by satan to do so.  There so many followers of of non christian religions who are good people, they could not possibly decieved by satan  as satan as the personification of evil would cause his followers  to beceome evil.     I am interested to learn what evangelicals believe.     

thank you   Eddie
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 12:25PM #2
Anesis
Eddie, there is a real difference between ungodly and satanic. I am not "most" evangelicals, so I can't speak for them. I speak from my own experience. I personally believe there are a number of faiths that are simply misguided and preaching false doctrines, but are not necessarily satanic.

You said
There so many followers of of non christian religions who are good people, they could not possibly decieved by satan

In my faith, even Christians can be deceived. We are warned in the Bible to not be deceived and to stand firm in our faith. I also believe that good people who are not Christians are already deceived. There is only one way to one God, and that is through Jesus, His Son. Anyone who does not accept Jesus as laid out in the Bible is already deceived, no matter what religion or non-religion they are from.
An
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 1:13PM #3
miami-ted
Hello Eddie,
I believe that most evangelicals believe that other religions are exactly what God said they were.  Broken cisterns that cannot hold water.  He also likened them to false gods and false idols.  For the born again believer there is only one way off of this planet by which one will receive the promise of eternal life and that is through faith in God's Son.  All other practices of 'spirituality' that are called religions are broken cisterns made up of the imagination of men to answer the age old questions of why we are here and what is our purpose.  The Scriptures tell us that as far back as before the flood and as recently from the day of creation to just a couple of generations men began to seek God.  It is my fervent belief that this statement is all about how and when man began to misunderstand and misrepresent God based on their own feeble understandings and what seems good to them.

Based on Jesus' argument that Satan is the father of all lies and all who lie, then yes it would stand to reason that false worship and false gods are the working of Satan.  Now this doesn't mean that the individual involved in a false worship, worships Satan.  No, he is just blind and again as Jesus has said, "If a blind man leads a blind man, will they not both fall into the pit?"  So yes, the introduction and original practice of false religions may well have been encouraged and supported by Satan, but those who follow such ways, while not outwardly worshiping Satan, have just been led by other blind men into what seems right to them.

God bless.
In Christ, Ted.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 1:23PM #4
miami-ted
You also wrote:  There so many followers of of non christian religions who are good people, they could not possibly decieved by satan as satan as the personification of evil would cause his followers to beceome evil. I am interested to learn what evangelicals believe.

This is, of course, all based on one's definition of 'good'. Jesus said that no one is good except God himself.  We tend to measure goodness in a person on human standards.  That they give away a lot of money or help little old ladies across the street or feed the homeless seems good to us.  However, Jesus said that the very first and foremost command is to love God with all your heart, soul and mind and the prophet even said that all of our earthly 'good' are as filthy rags before a holy God.  So you look around and say, "Oh, look at all these 'good' people and the 'good' things they do and God looks at these same people and says, "Oh, look at the worthless works these filthy people are doing to show the world how 'good' they are."  The greatest evil that Satan performs among us is not to kill or cause pain to one another, but to turn us away from God and many of the people you describe have fallen to that great work of the deceiver.  If a blind man - leads a blind man - will they not both fall into the pit?  My friend, be careful, study the Scriptures and I believe that you will find that God, while he loves his creation and all that he has created, his love is not the ooey-gooey syrupy love of 'Oh, it's alright, whatever you want to do is ok because I love you."  No, his love is the love of responsibility.  His love is the love that says I will give you everything you need because I am your God and I have created you to love you and for you to love me.  If that's not what you want, then ok, go your way without me.

God bless.
In Christ, Ted.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 1:54PM #5
LiveOak
Dear Eddie,

As an athiest growing up, I can understand the disgust when Christians say that Christianity is the only way to heaven. I was raised going to a Christian Science church, which is an attempt at "nice Christianity", saying that God wouldn't make anything bad, so we're all going to heaven, because that's the only place there is. However, this is the opposite of Christianity: the "John 3:16" sign you always see held up at football games starts, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." Most humans feel we start as good people deserving heaven, but can be rejected if we're too bad; Christianity says that none of us are good enough to deserve heaven, and we all need God's forgiveness; our debts can only be paid by Jesus, who received our punishment for us (a la "Tale of Two Cities", except the righteous man, Jesus, chose to die for the scoundrel, each of us).

The word "Satan" literally means "adversary" or "accuser" in Hebrew. So Satan is our accuser, and Jesus is our defender. From a Christian standpoint, if you are not in the hands of God, you are in the hands of his adversary, no matter how nice you are according to human morality. This isn't a putdown to others that Christians are better, on the contrary, "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst." (1 Timothy 1:15) Paul was telling Timothy that he had been a persecutor and a violent man, but God chose him to show his unlimited patience with man - nobody is so bad that God cannot save.

Paul was a Jew who became a follower of Jesus, and said of his own people, "Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. Christ is the end of the law [of Moses - the Old Testament] so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes." (Romans 10:1-4) I think Paul also says this about "Roman Catholicism and other supposedly Christian churches"; Jesus saves us - not the church we attend, not the good things that we do.

While we humans want people to get what they deserve, God wants to give us more than we deserve. "For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all. Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor? Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him? For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever! Amen." (Romans 11:32-36)

People often state that a loving God would not send people to hell. But Jesus described love differently, saying, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." Even more, "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

So how are we saved by Jesus? We have to give him our failed lives in exchange for his righteous life. How? When asked this in Acts 2:38, Peter replied "Repent (turn from sin) and be baptized (immersed in water) every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Many churches don't teach what the Bible says about baptism, which is where we "ultra conservative fundamentalists" have heartache. If the Bible is true in saying that baptism is part of becoming a Christian (Acts 22:16, Romans 6:3-4, 1 Peter 3:20-21, etc.), than the post-Biblical interpretation that baptism is irrelevant will leave a lot of people on the outside.

Excuse me if this was more than you were asking, but it is my favorite subject, and you asked... : )

Cheers,

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 7:31PM #6
Apishapa
Eddie13 

"I know that some ultra conservative fundamentalists believe all none christian religions (including roman Catholicism and other supposedly Christian Churches) are actually satanic and that followers of these religions are being deceived."   

In response to your quote above, I want to tell you a bit about one Catholic---me.    I was baptized as an infant, confirmed my baptism as a teen, accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior, a born again Christian, received the baptism of The Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit works in me, and on occasion through me----when God wills it.     

God has healed me on several occasions.  One healing was from migraine headaches, when the Holy Spirit led me to read Isaiah 53.   The prophet Isaiah is telling us of the Messiah---Jesus,   "by His stripes we are healed."  (The stripes made on Jesus' back from the whips of the Roman Soldiers)   God healed me of an injured knee when I prayed for a woman that had painful arthritis in her knees---God healed both of us!    The healing that a classroom of youths saw take place, was when I was led by The Holy Spirit to pray for a young man who had broken his arm, the cast had been removed that day, and it was set wrong.   The arm was crooked and was going to have to be rebroken and reset.   The Holy Spirit gave me an insight as to how he had broken it.   He was doing something wrong and had said something not nice to someone.   I asked him to close his eyes and in his heart tell Jesus he was sorry.  He did as instructed and immediately he said, "My arms getting hot, the bones are moving!"   The entire class watched while Jesus straightened out his arm. 

There are many different Christian Churches, that have different rules, and we may all not worship God in the same way, but we are still all Christ-ians, followers of Jesus Christ.   We are all God's children, he created us, loves us, and called us to follow Him and His teachings through Holy Scripture.   

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 7:31PM #7
Apishapa
Eddie13 

"I know that some ultra conservative fundamentalists believe all none christian religions (including roman Catholicism and other supposedly Christian Churches) are actually satanic and that followers of these religions are being deceived."   

In response to your quote above, I want to tell you a bit about one Catholic---me.    I was baptized as an infant, confirmed my baptism as a teen, accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior, a born again Christian, received the baptism of The Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit works in me, and on occasion through me----when God wills it.     

God has healed me on several occasions.  One healing was from migraine headaches, when the Holy Spirit led me to read Isaiah 53.   The prophet Isaiah is telling us of the Messiah---Jesus,   "by His stripes we are healed."  (The stripes made on Jesus' back from the whips of the Roman Soldiers)   God healed me of an injured knee when I prayed for a woman that had painful arthritis in her knees---God healed both of us!    The healing that a classroom of youths saw take place, was when I was led by The Holy Spirit to pray for a young man who had broken his arm, the cast had been removed that day, and it was set wrong.   The arm was crooked and was going to have to be rebroken and reset.   The Holy Spirit gave me an insight as to how he had broken it.   He was doing something wrong and had said something not nice to someone.   I asked him to close his eyes and in his heart tell Jesus he was sorry.  He did as instructed and immediately he said, "My arms getting hot, the bones are moving!"   The entire class watched while Jesus straightened out his arm. 

There are many different Christian Churches, that have different rules, and we may all not worship God in the same way, but we are still all Christ-ians, followers of Jesus Christ.   We are all God's children, he created us, loves us, and called us to follow Him and His teachings through Holy Scripture.   

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook