Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Recommended Reading
10 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 7:23AM #31
CreakyHedgewitch
<<<>>

Certainly. Your life is in no danger at all. Nothing evolves in isolation.

<<<>>>

Assuming you mean a separate thread here. Make such an SST thread and that will mean any post off topic must be removed by the Host. Combining the list(s) with short reviews might also be useful.

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 9:00AM #32
Feinics
[QUOTE=CreakyHedgewitch;251465]

Certainly. Your life is in no danger at all. Nothing evolves in isolation. C.H.[/QUOTE]

phew! i'l live to post another day so :)

[QUOTE=CreakyHedgewitch;251465]
Assuming you mean a separate thread here. Make such an SST thread and that will mean any post off topic must be removed by the Host. Combining the list(s) with short reviews might also be useful.

C.H.[/QUOTE]

Oops  thread yes thats what I meant! I was quite happy discussing it here I dont think we really went off topic myself but since this thread is TH's baby i'll leave it to her make the final decision! But reviews would be a good addition!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2008 - 10:58AM #33
tameless_heart
I think it's fine. If it gets too convoluted we can do that. Just for the sake of future users, try to keep as on topic as we can? It doesn't have to SST for people to at least stay on topic.

On that note a few random book recommends on the Witchcraft Histeria:

A Delusion of Satan (reads more like a novel)
The Witch Hunt in Early Modern Europe (reads fairly dryly)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 7:38AM #34
Embersfire
A couple of slim books I lend to people who express an interest in paganism:-
Paganism A beginners guide,Teresa Moorey
Principles of Paganism,Vivianne Crowley
I also have The Idiots Guide to Paganism, which is another favourite lend.
Anything by Starhawk is usually not bad, but a special favourite is The Pagan book of living and dying. Also, her novels are good. It seems I have a lot of the books everyone else here has, though!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 5:22AM #35
Akairose
Any one else having the same problem i am with books.  So heres my problem I am trying to expand my knowadge base and the only books i seem to find are wicca 101 or basic books disgues as more advance books basiclly stating the same stuff over and over again. I am quit tried of reading the same thing worded 5 different ways. ( And i wnder why i am in a spirtual rut) I currenly own All of ChunningHams books, 2 of Starhawks , the witchs Bible ( one of these days i might get to it but i realy dont agree with graderian tradiotions ) and some random fluff buy various authors to include SilverRavenloft ( occaisonal she has good pionts but seems to repeat same theme) Maybe i am asking to much but i have been a solitary for 7 years now and i think i am truly mising something and i realy hate to start back at 101 class (you know the 101 books and term seem to be a new thing as the last 3 or so years unless i am mistake is this a fluff making excuse or am i going nuts) .  Please excuses the grammer and spelling mishaps

-Akairose
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 11:22AM #36
Dromahair
My suggestion:

Print out the first 10 or so posts in this thread.

Highlight the titles that look interesting to you.
(paying special attention to the posts of SG and Creaky)

Visit Amazon.com or other suitable online retail outlet.
(or possible used bookstores/ebay for volumes that may be out of print)

Happy reading!  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2008 - 9:18AM #37
CreakyHedgewitch
[QUOTE=Akairose;464119]Any one else having the same problem i am with books.  So heres my problem I am trying to expand my knowadge base and the only books i seem to find are wicca 101 or basic books disgues as more advance books basiclly stating the same stuff over and over again. I am quit tried of reading the same thing worded 5 different ways. ( And i wnder why i am in a spirtual rut) I currenly own All of ChunningHams books, 2 of Starhawks , the witchs Bible ( one of these days i might get to it but i realy dont agree with graderian tradiotions ) and some random fluff buy various authors to include SilverRavenloft ( occaisonal she has good pionts but seems to repeat same theme) Maybe i am asking to much but i have been a solitary for 7 years now and i think i am truly mising something and i realy hate to start back at 101 class (you know the 101 books and term seem to be a new thing as the last 3 or so years unless i am mistake is this a fluff making excuse or am i going nuts) .  Please excuses the grammer and spelling mishaps

-Akairose[/QUOTE]
Akairose,

Several observations on what you have asked that hopefully might prove helpful.

Wicca is an experiential religion. All that can be written about the Religion are the basics because second-hand and third-hand accounts are all that can be shared from first-hand experiences through writing. Outside of lineaged traditions and especially as a self-taught solitary, all that books can teach you is the same basics as you have discovered. To get to 202 and beyond, you as a solitary have to teach yourself – through your daily commitment to the Gods. Through practicing your faith. Through enactment of your ethics. Through both experiences and the thoughtful reflection on those experiences over time. Through ongoing study with no barriers to what you study other than accessibility and ethics.

Books can also not address the lineaged information that lies at the core of the Religion – as it was conceived being practiced – as this is only passed down through oathbound oral transmission contained within this mystery religion. As a solitary practitioner, you would not have access to this information (unless trained by a lineaged teacher), you would not be able to be initiated or experience the specific Mysteries of Wicca and you would also not be experiencing your faith within the dynamics of a group or coven. That is what books and self-practitioning cannot provide you as a Wiccan and therefore what you will be missing. That said, many self-taught and solitary practitioners do have profound relationships to the Gods of Wicca as he or she understands them to be outside of lineaged information and he or she can craft life-long and viable practices of Wicca from the basics, experience, commitment and practice.

If you restrict yourself to only what you agree with, your depth and breadth of knowledge about the religion you are practicing (or any subject) will remain limited to the basics. Studying does not mean you have to accept or enact whatever you study. No book is a waste of time even if the only thing you walk away with is, not for me. What you get from such ongoing studies may be only a snapshot in history of what Wicca was or was meant to be. This is what enables you to understand the legacy behind, origin of or relevance of whatever you practice today as Wicca and how to understand authors who have re-interpreted Wicca for various reasons. In the latter category for example I would put Cunningham who wrote about Neo-Wicca. Starhawk who isn’t even Wiccan but uses the term for a variety of reasons. Silver Ravenwolf who writes about her own unique version of Neo-Wicca. The Farrers who wrote the Witches Bible are much closer to what Wicca was meant to be but even they didn’t reveal certain oathbound information.

Dromahair's suggestion is well worth considering. You certainly should consider doing some degree of (or further) research into the history of Wicca, perhaps as a starting point, Ronald Hutton’s “Triumph of the Moon” and going through his 72-page bibliography for more suggestions, if this thread does not provide you with what you are looking for. Studying the history - actual and mythological -  will help you with understanding the bigger picture. I would also recommend studying Gardner’s original books (which I believe can be found online though you can also buy them on Amazon second-hand) to see how he conceived Wicca to be practised.

Be Wiccan. Experience your faith each day. Study widely and not just where you agree. Talk to others, discuss, ask questions, decide what you accept and understand why. Be skeptical. Be joyful. Expand your knowledge about the bigger picture and over time, this will help you to evolve a deeper and richer enactment of your religion.

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 2:14AM #38
Akairose
Thank you for the advice i think the history route should be good for me at this time. At the moment i have to some seroius reorganization of my life. But i will take your advice to heart and make more time for my spriyual health. (i have had issues getting the time i need due to my army job)

Thank you once again.
Akairose
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 11:15AM #39
Turenna
Being new to this whole Pagan topic, I find the list of books to read very helpful. I have been reading several of the topic threads and find that I really needed somewhere to start the exploration of my beliefs. I believe that reading some of the listed books will help me in that endeavor. I love to read anyway.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 11:57AM #40
Diarmuid
Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandanavian and Celtic Religions by H.R. Ellis Davidson
A History of Pagan Europe by Prudence Jones and Nigel Pennick

Both historical. The first one, Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe, I really do recommend, it is a interesting read.
As for the second one, it is a good start for historical study, though I ave found a couple faults here and there in the Celtic and Germanic sections of the book. But it is still a good read and has a basic hold on Pagan Europe.

And ditto JtA's suggestions for the Collections of Celtic Myths and Legends and Icelandic Edda.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook