Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View a ramble about sharing my faith with others:)
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 12:40AM #21
Whisperingal
Drom--on a prsonal note--I grew up in a very intense religious environment where it was considered *very important* how everyone else saw and judged everyone else's religious path. And that everyone judged your path to be "holy" and "correct.'

So I do know how that longing feels to be accepted by those who mean the most to you.
WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 8:50AM #22
KARD9000
[QUOTE=Whisperingal;154885]Drom--thanks for taking the time to do that. Can we agree to disagree? this could get long and complicated but it can just be a matter of our different experiences and how we view who we really are.

It may be difficult to imagine that someone truly does not care about opinions--but it is true. If I had to boil it down I'd say it's something like--"It would be nice if they could see the importance of my path to me--but if they can't--it doesn't have any effect on me."

IMO there's a certain point (not in an evolutionary sense but in a personal one) where things get so clear that one's own actions and ideas are all that is truly real.(in a spiritual sense)

As I said--your experience may differ--we can acknowledge that there are differing ideas about this without its being a detriment for either one.

Sending good thoughts for you.

btw--I love your avatar photo--can you say--if it's not too personal--where that is?
(my guess is a Celtic tumulus)
WGal

KARD--good to see you here! Don't tell anyone you saw me here.( j/k)[/QUOTE]

Hi WGal!

I'll keep your secret. ;)

I see your side of this as well - absolutely.  I think these kinds of perspectives depend a lot on life experience - not quantity so much but quality, richness or differing kinds perhaps.  I really don't give a fig for opinion myself most of the time but when I meet someone whose had a rich life, I listen.  I pay attention to people I consider "old souls" or those who for lack of a better way to say it, "have done this before" - as in life.   I roll their experiences, perspective and ideas around in my head.  Examine them from every angle.  Consider them seriously.

I've met a lot of rich people here! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 10:28AM #23
Whisperingal
KARD--what a good philosophy--definitely one to keep in mind.

Sending good thoughts your way.

WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 10:51AM #24
Feinics
lol lots of interesting things brought up here!

[QUOTE=Lunacie;152860]Hi Feinics, if I may share my 2 cents worth? Do your friends ever talk with you about any kind of spiritual topics? Maybe they aren't interested in religion at all, or maybe they're uncomfortable with talking about their own beliefs, rather than not being interested in your beliefs.

If they do talk about religious topics now and then, do you sit back quietly and listen, or do you talk about your own beliefs in a sharing, non-judgmental way? If you don't talk about your beliefs, they may think that spirituality isn't important to you.[/QUOTE]

good questions!!:) I would say most of friends know spirituality is important to me its possible though that others dont so thanks for making me ask myself that:). Religion does come up now  and then sometimes, as they are catholic and have grown up that way i dont think they have a lack of interest in religion its merely a natural part of their lives i dont know but i guess its not actively sought out. I normally add the odd statment to my beliefs but as I said I havent felt comfortable going into a lot of detail without prompting or interest being shown. But its something to think about.
Someone mentioned about people being wary of sounding stupid when asking questions, that could be an aspect of it too all right.

As for the caring about others opinions. Well it would bother me a small part if people I respect and love dont accept an aspect of my life but  it wouldnt affect my beliefs merely what i share with them.  But i would say i dont like it being dismissed as just another of the wierd things i like :)

Tameless you make a good point they are friends for a reasons and it wasnt spiritality that drew them to me. I could seek out all the pagans in the area and not find the friendship i have with the ones i have now.  And well done on gettin thru yer finals in one piece.:)

Ye've given me a lot to mull over thanks. Especially with my role in it and how i deal with the subject matter being brought up.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 11:05AM #25
Dromahair
[QUOTE=Whisperingal;154885]Drom--thanks for taking the time to do that. Can we agree to disagree?[/QUOTE]

Certainly.  I've no wish to argue with you on this point.
I rather think it's really just a difference of perspective anyway.

For example, it is possible for the truly adept to compartmentalize their minds in such a way as to feel no pain.  For them 'pain' does not exist - at least from the perspective of their experience.  It's still there of course, off in the wings having a smoke and being paid no attention to.  It's a profound accomplishment and great fun at parties, but it's not always practical. Pain exists for very real reasons and is not something to be ignored.

This is not my way of saying that anyone should conform to the "norm" (whatever that is) or an argument for physicality over spirituality.  Say rather that it is my own "rambling" on the topic at hand.  I don't believe that cutting ourselves off from what others think is good or healthy for the self.  Being able to deal with those feelings (even the very painful ones that can come of rejection) makes us stronger in the long run.   

[QUOTE]As I said--your experience may differ--we can acknowledge that there are differing ideas about this without its being a detriment for either one.[/QUOTE]

Of course.  No was offense was intended on my part.

[QUOTE]btw--I love your avatar photo--can you say--if it's not too personal--where that is? (my guess is a Celtic tumulus)[/QUOTE]

Good guess - it's pre-celt actually.
It's a photo I took at the entrance to Newgrange a couple years ago.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 11:15AM #26
Feinics
[QUOTE=Dromahair;155525]

Good guess - it's pre-celt actually.
It's a photo I took at the entrance to Newgrange a couple years ago.[/QUOTE]

love to be there today to watch that roof box in action!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 11:37AM #27
Dromahair
[QUOTE=Feinics;155544]love to be there today to watch that roof box in action![/QUOTE]

There was a webcast this morning from inside the central chamber.

They're doing it again tomorrow as well.

Link [COLOR="Blue"]here[/COLOR].
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 11:40AM #28
Feinics
lol i wasnt up early enough for the live stream. im watching it now actually hee hee
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 11:46AM #29
Dromahair
[QUOTE=Feinics;155612]lol i wasnt up early enough for the live stream. im watching it now actually hee hee[/QUOTE]

WHAT!?  I thought you never slept! :p

It was at two in the morning my time - and I was just too zonked to manage it.

I've been trying to watch it this morning but I keep losing the connection.  :mad:
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 11:51AM #30
Feinics
lol I know ! but i hadnt had any sleep at all the night before so i couldnt handle another all nighter!

grr I had losing connections!

I think ill apply for that lottery thing to get a chance to be their next year for it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook