6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2008 - 3:58PM #1
Bunsinspace
BS"D

I need information from an actual Satanist as to what the working definition of Satan really is.  All I have heard is what the Christians say about Satan.  I need to know what those who are called by that name say.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2008 - 12:37PM #2
Heimdallsman
Well, every Satanist has different definitions of Satan.  I'm a theistic Satanist, so I think of Satan as an entity.  I see Satan as that being... well, it's in my profile.  The point is that as far as I know, I'm the only one with that view.  So, rather than ask Satanists their definition of Satan, ask yourself what your definiton of Satan is.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2008 - 2:49AM #3
SatanicStalker
As a Modern (or Atheistic) Satanist, I see Satan as a useful metaphor, but not a literal being. Satan represents the rejection of subservience to a tyrannical deity, and the choice to be one's own highest authority. I'm not sure if it's directly in the Bible anywhere or where it might be, but there's a commonly accepted Christian myth that Satan was an angel God created, the highest angel whom God loved the best and was the most beautiful, but Satan formed an army with many other angels and attempted a mutiny, tried to throw God off the throne and put himself there instead. His punishment was to be cast down into Hell, the domain created for him. I do not worship this being or even think he exists, but I see the story as a useful parable. Many mythical systems have a similar story, each painting the high God and the underling overthrower in varying terms. Sometimes the Satan character is seen as completely evil, sometimes as completely righteous, and often somewhere in between. I tend to get the most out of the "somewhere in between" view.

~Stalker
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:34PM #4
snoogins03
So I have heard - Satan was actually a worker of god. He was the individual's tester of sin and faith. It is found in the Old Testament somewhere.

Satan to me is representitive of your desires and all that jazz. Demons, however, are a different story. I believe one may call upon them, but the individual must take responsibility for the consequences. If one calls upon Belial for revenge and the enemy is terminated, then that person must live with that and be judged for it at the Dark Carnival.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:34PM #5
snoogins03
So I have heard - Satan was actually a worker of god. He was the individual's tester of sin and faith. It is found in the Old Testament somewhere.

Satan to me is representitive of your desires and all that jazz. Demons, however, are a different story. I believe one may call upon them, but the individual must take responsibility for the consequences. If one calls upon Belial for revenge and the enemy is terminated, then that person must live with that and be judged for it at the Dark Carnival.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2008 - 11:38PM #6
SatanicStalker
[QUOTE=snoogins03;798356]Demons, however, are a different story. I believe one may call upon them, but the individual must take responsibility for the consequences. If one calls upon Belial for revenge and the enemy is terminated, then that person must live with that and be judged for it at the Dark Carnival.[/QUOTE]

One of the great lessons in life that I am grateful to have learned mostly through stories and observation is this: never mess with trickster gods. They are never content to only mess with whomever you wanted messed with, they will always do whatever they please to anyone they want. I've certainly been tempted a few times, wanting so much to just pick up a spider and tell it to go tell Anansi, "hey, come on over, here's a great party for you to crash." But it never goes smooth. My aunt called on Loki once and it took years to clean up after that mess. I imagine it works much the same with demons. I can't imagine a demon both powerful enough to act in the world and willing to submit totally to a human will.

~Stalker

ps. I like your new pic, Snoogins, it reminds me of something out of Mirrormask.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2008 - 1:10AM #7
snoogins03
Very very true. Again, the individual must take the consequences, both in the afterlife and in this world. I've called upon a few demons...I've seen the damage they can do. I cursed a guy named Mike when he tried to hit me when I was trying to help him...especially since I welcomed him into my home. The next day his girlfriend left him, he wrecked his car and pretty much the whole world found out he was a compulsive liar and he lost all his friends. Coincidence? Perhaps. But regardless, it was scary.

I don't really see why a demon would stay loyal to one human being. They have a connection to the individual who called upon them - why not go ahead and take a few more down?

Thanks =) My fiance did it. I will give him your regards.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2008 - 5:03PM #8
SatanicStalker
I've never intentionally cursed anyone, but I did have a protection spell backfire once (which pretty much is why I've never cursed anyone). This was years ago, I was a teenager and a pagan and not yet a Satanist. I was in the habit of frequently doing a simple protection spell over my bedroom, where I would clense the space and spiritually seal all the doors and windows, insisting that only the powers and energies of good could enter. Silly naive me, I didn't connect to the fact that no human fits that description.

While I was away for a couple of weeks, my family had some company come over. My mother suggested that my cousin's daughter Amy (my age) sleep in my bedroom. She went in, then came out again insisting that she couldn't sleep there because it didn't feel right. So, my mother suggested that my cousin's wife Carol (Amy's mother) sleep there, but she had the same reaction and refused. So, my mother sent my uncle Dave in to sleep there... he did, then came down with pneumonia that almost killed him.

When I returned, my mother asked if I had some sort of protection on that room, and I admitted that I did. She then told me this story, and I've been very wary of doing magic, even seemingly simple magic, ever since. But I do take comfort from the knowledge that I do have the power to significantly effect people with magic, and if I ever truly needed to curse someone I'm sure I could. But it is quite a scary thing, isn't it? And a burden as well.

And that was just my own power, in theory controlled by my own will. Demons, spirits, and tricksters have their own will, thus can turn around at any time and do anything they want, regardless of why you called them.

So I definately agree with you... you must accept the consequences. I won't say that it's wrong to call demons, there are probably times when it may even be necessary, but it's definately a dangerous move.

~Stalker
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2008 - 10:38PM #9
snoogins03
I was born and raised Wiccan. I tried working with the Dark Mother, Hecate in May. Ooh that didn't go well AT ALL. The man I was dating at the time was present when I did the ritual and I was trying to teach him. I had only little experience in "dark" magic. My father showed me how to do it one time.

I ended up with an attachment. It always felt like something was watching me and I could hear whispers. I did a banishing spell and the only thing that happened was that the thing transfered to my boyfriend! He became VERY violent and actually tried to kill me. That was not like him at all.

He wrecked his car and almost died, he lost all his friends, he stopped eating and sleeping and he always woke up with cuts and bruises.

At 3 - 4 am, I would wake up in his room and I would hear whispers and it was like a pressure pushing down on me. He ended up being possessed by this thing - leading to our breakup. Sometimes I could hear a pig (or some kind of animal. Maybe a dog) grunting and screaming in the middle of the night.

Never doing that again!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook