Switch to Forum Live View Summer Solstice - Southern Hemisphere
6 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2007 - 5:15AM #1
pagaian
The Seasonal Moment of Summer Solstice approaches in the Southern Hemisphere - 22nd December at 4.08pm EST. It is the point at which the light part of the day is at its longest - the Sun reaches its furthest point South on the horizon before Earth's tilt and orbit causes it to begin its journey North again - beginning this region's move back into the dark part of the annual cycle.

It is a Moment of transition in Earth's annual pilgrimage around the Sun that many ancestors have noted -  and is a celebration of the fullness of Creativity, the achievement of purpose, the ripening - ready for giving away, pouring forth, consuming. It is often imagined/storied as the union of Beloved and Lover: it says in the tradition that they embrace in a love "so complete that all dissolves into the single song of ecstasy that moves the worlds". It is both a blissful maturing of desire and the pouring forth of its fruit  - the dispersal, the letting go of small self:  in the peaking of light the seed of darkness is "born".  The "Lover" (all being) gives themselves away  - becomes the Gift, merges with Other, returns the small self to Source whence it came. I call Summer Solstice the great Omega.

(Culturally and globally we may be at such a point ... something is peaking !! - much could be made of it in the expression of Summer rituals)

In Australia, potential Summer themes often get very confused with consumer and Christian rituals of Christmas - essentially a Winter festival that ostensibly celebrates the birth and hope of new beginnings, the receiving of the gift of being. The Summer metaphors are very different, and ones that have not been taken on by popular dualistic spiritualities.

For more on the Solstice Moment @ EarthGaia see:
http://pagaian.org/news/solstice-summerwinter-earthgaia

Cheers
Glenys
http://pagaian.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2007 - 5:15AM #2
pagaian
The Seasonal Moment of Summer Solstice approaches in the Southern Hemisphere - 22nd December at 4.08pm EST. It is the point at which the light part of the day is at its longest - the Sun reaches its furthest point South on the horizon before Earth's tilt and orbit causes it to begin its journey North again - beginning this region's move back into the dark part of the annual cycle.

It is a Moment of transition in Earth's annual pilgrimage around the Sun that many ancestors have noted -  and is a celebration of the fullness of Creativity, the achievement of purpose, the ripening - ready for giving away, pouring forth, consuming. It is often imagined/storied as the union of Beloved and Lover: it says in the tradition that they embrace in a love "so complete that all dissolves into the single song of ecstasy that moves the worlds". It is both a blissful maturing of desire and the pouring forth of its fruit  - the dispersal, the letting go of small self:  in the peaking of light the seed of darkness is "born".  The "Lover" (all being) gives themselves away  - becomes the Gift, merges with Other, returns the small self to Source whence it came. I call Summer Solstice the great Omega.

(Culturally and globally we may be at such a point ... something is peaking !! - much could be made of it in the expression of Summer rituals)

In Australia, potential Summer themes often get very confused with consumer and Christian rituals of Christmas - essentially a Winter festival that ostensibly celebrates the birth and hope of new beginnings, the receiving of the gift of being. The Summer metaphors are very different, and ones that have not been taken on by popular dualistic spiritualities.

For more on the Solstice Moment @ EarthGaia see:
http://pagaian.org/news/solstice-summerwinter-earthgaia

Cheers
Glenys
http://pagaian.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 3:53AM #3
bluehorserunning
It's the winter solstice where I am, but still my preferred winter holiday.  The only folks around that I know of who celebrate it are wiccans, but I'm not really into the supernatural deities thing so I just do my own quiet celebration (x-mas music with no words, candles) at home.  The family is catholic, so there's also a tree-stockings-food celebration a few days later.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 4:23AM #4
bluehorserunning
I had to work the day of the solstice, but when I got home that night I lit a candle and went outside to stand under the stars.  It was a beautiful night, the stars clear and crisp (cue George Winston, 'Winter Into Spring').  What I mostly felt, though, was not so much appreciation of the beauty but the awareness of human smallness and the frailty of humans and human creations.  Even with my hands shielding it, the flame of my candle jerked and flickered and danced in the wind off of the Pacific.

Given that it's usually the beauty that overwhelms me, it's probably good for me to be stricken by humbleness once in a while too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 6:27AM #5
pagaian
bluehorserunning
I'm certainly not into "supernatural deities" either ... and I don't regard what I do as Wiccan. I identified as "Gaian" for a long time, but have in recent times modified that to "PaGaian" ... identifying the Universe itself as sacred "Land" - as the Deity if you like. Although I speak of Goddesses particularly, I understand those forms as metaphors for the cosmic dynamics of Creativity ... that is, Poetry.
See http://pagaian.org if you like ... my website where my book PaGaian Cosmology is available to read.
Your quiet Winter Solstice celebration sounds great ... we do our Winter Solstice ritual outside and it is lovely to be out in the cold and dark - really feeling the Moment.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook