Switch to Forum Live View neo-paganism...what is this.
6 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2008 - 8:08AM #1
Eternal
as I was checking my e-mails at 5am this morning (I couldn't sleep) i decided to click on to one titled belief net.com. and obv it led me to this wonderfull sight.  whilst meandering through all the forums etc i took the test to difine my religouse beliefs (I have many) the end result was that i was a "neo-pagan".  I have never heard of this before, im familiar with wiccan and have read a few books on the subject but no where have i ever came across neo-paganism.  any hints and explanations as well as a starter book (ease me in gently haha) would be more then welcomed.  thanks to you all for even reading this and bless you if you reply. xx
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2008 - 2:57PM #2
tameless_heart
Wicca is a religion within the sphere of paganism. Check out the reccommended reading thread,and google paganism or neopaganism for more information. What paganism is exactly is up to the individual pagan- there is no set definition or requirements about what one has to do or beleive to call themselves pagan. Since paganism is experiential, every pagan will have a different experience and thus different definitions.

(This is the cue for those who are better with words to take over..:P)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2008 - 1:54AM #3
hmstrwheel
Hello, Eternal.  I self-identify as a solitary, eclectic neo-pagan, which basically means:

Solitary- I "practice" alone (I'm not part of any group, coven, congregation, etc)
Eclectic- I take what makes sense to me from wherever I find it
Neo-Pagan- I'm not praciticing some ancient religion, I am a "new" pagan

I believe that any religion/spirituality must be useful to the adherant in order to be of comfort, to make it possible to strive to be a better individual, and to make it possible to strive to be a better community member.  Therefore, when I find a teaching that aids me in any of those ways I try to incorporate it into my practice.  Hence the term eclectic.  I don't mish-mash a hodgepodge of ancient gods/goddesses, I just take the teachings that might help me to be fruitful in my life and grow as a person. 

I also honor the seasons (Wheel of the Year), but I'm currently not doing a whole lot to celebrate them per se.  I'm finishing up my second degree, starting a new job, starting a new relationship after having gone through a divorce, had some medical issues, and I'm looking to move across country before the end of the year.  Not only have I not celebrated the seasonal changes like I want to, I'm surprised I even remember my name at this point.

Please remember that this is only my experience and my thoughts.  Other neo-pagans can and will differ vastly in their views and lifestyles.  That's part of the joy of Paganism.  It's super diverse. 

Most of the books I've read have been on Wicca and Witchcraft, although I'm not Wiccan nor a Witch.  The only book I can recommend that might be helpful would be Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler.  At least it's a book that stresses the fact that generally no two neo-pagans will believe exactly the same thing.  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2008 - 9:25PM #4
seventhcrow
I'll recommend reading the Complete Idiot's Guide on the topic. It has a decent introduction to all sorts of Pagan paths, though there's nothing to be done about the garish orange cover.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2008 - 9:57PM #5
Ahneke
Eternal, it must surely have been interesting to see yourself described as something you didn't recognize!  It will be interesting for you to explore it further.  I'll look forward to your sharing the experience as you are comfortable. 

I would probably list neo-pagan amongst all the other labels I've taken on over the years.  We even formally used "neo" to describe ourselves in my former circle (neo-Gardnerian).  I've thought about what I and friends who consider our selves neo-pagan might have in common.

The thing we most have in common is that we are devoted to an indigenous spirituality of place even though it is not "our" place.  We honor many native forms of relation to the Earth, yet we are not native to the place we live (at least most of us are not).  And if we are honoring pantheons within our practice we may be honoring gods and goddesses that were not part of our ethnic heritage.  "Neo" in that case means that we honor many different paths while honoring we are not "native" to them.  It's a term of respect in that sense, as we acknowledge we are attaining wisdom from a culture and/or time that is different from our own.  We have taken lessons of culture and time and applied them to our modern existence. 

"Neo" pagan can describe us and also remind us that we are reconstructing, reinventing or otherwise making new our own older, historical traditions.  Or even beyond that, it can mean that we acknowledge that we truly have little proof of what we are reconstructing, reinventing or otherwise making our own.  It is what it is now.  Neo.  New and different.  But inspired by something old, something mythological or in some way coming before us. 

~ Ahneke ~
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2008 - 10:21PM #6
Sacrificialgoddess

seventhcrow wrote:

I'll recommend reading the Complete Idiot's Guide on the topic. It has a decent introduction to all sorts of Pagan paths, though there's nothing to be done about the garish orange cover.

The cover is horrid, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2008 - 5:09PM #7
Phøenix
Hi Eternal. The posts above have very good advice. If you're looking for more information on Wicca specifically, I've found a good list of resources from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiccan-Must-Haves … _2_rlrsrs0
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2008 - 5:09PM #8
Phøenix
Hi Eternal. The posts above have very good advice. If you're looking for more information on Wicca specifically, I've found a good list of resources from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiccan-Must-Haves … _2_rlrsrs0
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook