Switch to Forum Live View Less Responsibility = More Narcissism
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 11:59AM #1
Geocorona
Does the decline of interest in Confucian thought reflect a rise in self-centeredness, irresponsibility, and greed?

It seems that fewer people care about (or even realize) the benefits of a strong societal safety net, with everyone looking out for each other.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2007 - 10:10PM #2
ernie8677
I would agree that self-centeredness is in opposition to Confucian thought.  You can not be a chun-tzu (gentleman) without embracing accountability.  I'm not so sure Confucian thought is any less popular today than it was when Confucius or Mencius struggled to highlight its merits.  I do not think most people have ever been interested in a system of thought which holds the individual accountable for their actions and thoughts.  Confucianism is really a form of humanisim.  For example, we find this in the Analects:

It is not the Way which makes man great, it is man who makes the Way great!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 6:44PM #3
Starcomet
I as a Confucian definitely agree that people are forgetting his teachings. Even in China where it was most popular, it is beginning to repress and forget it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2008 - 12:18AM #4
ernie8677
Starcomet:

We can make it alive as we want it to be, simply by participating in discussions like these.  When I worked on my Masters, I found East Asian thought in General, and Confucianism in particular, alive and well.  I do not believe the great thoughts of Confucius can be repressed, nor do I believe they can be forgotten.  The impact of a great philosophy is not always immediately apparent.

"Humanity subdues inhumanity, as water subdues fire."  Mencius 6A:18
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook