Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Less Responsibility = More Narcissism
10 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 11:59AM #1
Geocorona
Does the decline of interest in Confucian thought reflect a rise in self-centeredness, irresponsibility, and greed?

It seems that fewer people care about (or even realize) the benefits of a strong societal safety net, with everyone looking out for each other.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2007 - 10:10PM #2
ernie8677
I would agree that self-centeredness is in opposition to Confucian thought.  You can not be a chun-tzu (gentleman) without embracing accountability.  I'm not so sure Confucian thought is any less popular today than it was when Confucius or Mencius struggled to highlight its merits.  I do not think most people have ever been interested in a system of thought which holds the individual accountable for their actions and thoughts.  Confucianism is really a form of humanisim.  For example, we find this in the Analects:

It is not the Way which makes man great, it is man who makes the Way great!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 6:44PM #3
Starcomet
I as a Confucian definitely agree that people are forgetting his teachings. Even in China where it was most popular, it is beginning to repress and forget it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2008 - 12:18AM #4
ernie8677
Starcomet:

We can make it alive as we want it to be, simply by participating in discussions like these.  When I worked on my Masters, I found East Asian thought in General, and Confucianism in particular, alive and well.  I do not believe the great thoughts of Confucius can be repressed, nor do I believe they can be forgotten.  The impact of a great philosophy is not always immediately apparent.

"Humanity subdues inhumanity, as water subdues fire."  Mencius 6A:18
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook