Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why am I a Pantheist
6 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2007 - 8:17PM #1
KARD9000
Hi everyone! 

I've been hoping to start a thread for people to express why they are a Pantheist or what drew them to Pantheism. There are just as many reasons as there are Pantheists I have a feeling and that is great! :)  There is so much we learn from each other and our experiences.

I was also hoping to start it with my own post...unfortunately, I have been in and out of the site so much lately with preparations for the holidays.  Sometimes I just stay logged into the site and check throughout the day!

I will say off the bat that two great sources of information for me are the book Elements of Pantheism by Paul Harrison and two websites: 

http://www.pantheist.net/  (there is a piece called The Practice of Pantheist Mindfulness by Harold W. Wood, Jr. that I can relate to) and

http://www.pantheism.net/

I am not saying that this or any book or website is the how and why of being a Pantheist and/or my only source of information and inspiration but they were very helpful.  Also Sacred Balance by David Suzuki is a great read.

I'll be back soon....I hope you and yours are enjoying the holidays! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 4:04AM #2
bluehorserunning
I wrote out a belief statement as part of a debate on the WPM mailing list back when it first began, but I can't re-post it here without my real name being attached.  I rather like the freedom of anonymity, so I'll have to think of something new.

It's still listed on the WPM site (seel the links in the post above), along with many other more eloquent statements, for folks who are interested in reading them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 12:27AM #3
Afvw
The most moving times of the day for me are sunrise and sunset, particularly sunrise. When I watch the sun rise or set it's possible to actually look at the sun, in a way that is impossible during the intensity of the day. When I watch the sun I feel such awe and reverence to this great being, the Sun - that our lives are totally centered around whether we acknowledge it or not. We exist in a symbiotic relationship with the Sun, our provider and the force and energy sustaining our lives! How can I think of this and not feel awe!! While many people are worshipping imaginary gods and goddesses I feel a deep reverence toward our true Source the Sun.
This is one of the many reasons I'm a Pantheist.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 12:45PM #4
samhainautumnwood
[QUOTE=KARD9000;151805]I've been hoping to start a thread for people to express why they are a Pantheist or what drew them to Pantheism. There are just as many reasons as there are Pantheists I have a feeling and that is great! :)  There is so much we learn from each other and our experiences. I'll be back soon....I hope you and yours are enjoying the holidays! :)[/QUOTE]

Hey KARD,

I hope your holidays were enjoyable and meaningful.

There was a similar thread back on the old boards that I responded to as if I had an answer, though in reality I still invest a good deal of energy working to sort out and reconcile in my own head --- funny the way semantics suck up so much energy.

Cognitively, I see the world in what I would call a Pantheistic way; all life, the Earth, the Universe are all part of a magnificent whole. Interdependent. What affects life on other planets affects my life on this one in one or more ways.

Pantheist is how I think.

Emotionally, I am drawn to the imagery of the Pagans, the sense of history, tradition, community. Pagan history and elements permeate my life and my culture.

Pagan is how I feel.

Sometimes I feel as if I am torn between the two (the cognitive and the emotional), though that may be because of how I am interpreting the two.

(They're probably the same thing and I'm just making things more difficult as I am prone to do at times).

Lovelock's Gaia Hypothosis and Suzuki's Sacred Balance, would be on my list of "sacred texts" for lack of a better term.

Sacred Balance really captured how I thought and how I felt about myself and the natural world that I am part of.
peace,

samhain autumnwood.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 12:55PM #5
Ancestral
I would also recommend the "Sacred Depths of Nature" by Ursula Goodenough as a good book resource.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 12:58PM #6
samhainautumnwood
[QUOTE=Ancestral;172264]I would also recommend the "Sacred Depths of Nature" by Ursula Goodenough as a good book resource.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave,

I've seen that title elsewhere and had forgotten that I wanted to read it.

Thanks for reminding me.
peace,

samhain autumnwood.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2007 - 4:19PM #7
SiriusGC
It's an elegant and logically consistent spiritual discipline that has been very meaningful in my life- not avoiding or trying to escape everyday experience but instead embracing, enhancing, and expanding upon it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 10:29AM #8
KARD9000
[QUOTE=samhainautumnwood;172234]Hey KARD,

I hope your holidays were enjoyable and meaningful.

There was a similar thread back on the old boards that I responded to as if I had an answer, though in reality I still invest a good deal of energy working to sort out and reconcile in my own head --- funny the way semantics suck up so much energy.

Cognitively, I see the world in what I would call a Pantheistic way; all life, the Earth, the Universe are all part of a magnificent whole. Interdependent. What affects life on other planets affects my life on this one in one or more ways.

Pantheist is how I think.

Emotionally, I am drawn to the imagery of the Pagans, the sense of history, tradition, community. Pagan history and elements permeate my life and my culture.

Pagan is how I feel.

Sometimes I feel as if I am torn between the two (the cognitive and the emotional), though that may be because of how I am interpreting the two.

(They're probably the same thing and I'm just making things more difficult as I am prone to do at times).

Lovelock's Gaia Hypothosis and Suzuki's Sacred Balance, would be on my list of "sacred texts" for lack of a better term.

Sacred Balance really captured how I thought and how I felt about myself and the natural world that I am part of.[/QUOTE]

Hi Samhain!

The holiday still has me in it's grip!  Would love for it to let go soon!  :(:)

Great post.  I feel the same really and you summed it up nicely. 

I've read Sacred Balance - actually it is in a stack, well, it's really four stacks of books side by side - and it's there.  I need to add the other two mentioned to my list  of reading!

Thanks for the recommendation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2008 - 10:11AM #9
cheesefeet
At first this looked like a very simple question, but when I hit "reply" I realized that it is not.

Asking Why...is like asking why I exist or am human, being pantheist is innate to who/what I am, it is not something I chose or stumbled across and said "hey, I like that". Looking back, I see that from the very first, pantheism is what I understood about the universe and my relationship with it.

As a child I practiced the faith my family did..that was religion, something we did. Pantheism, though I had no name of it, was reality. I didn't practice pantheism as a faith or religion, it was like the earth or the air...there without question, more real to me than dogma, ideas, or ritual.

When I finally gave up on the faith of my youth as a waste of energy, and decided to live what I believed...I had to confront what I really believed, and for the first time looked at my beliefs as something separate from myself, took a look at them freestanding, and realized that other people shared them, and that there was a label for them.

That was over 15 years ago.

I do enjoy a framework of "religious" practice in my life and practice my pantheism in an intentional, spiritual way, with ritual, an altar, holy days and practices. I find those useful to my life and well being, but not necessary on any ultimate sense.

cheesefeet
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2008 - 11:02PM #10
samhainautumnwood
Hey Cheesefeet,

Long time no see. 

Haven't run across you since the emergence of the new boards.

I agree with the structure issue. I've set up an altar in the house to reflect the seasonal/family/ancestors interconnection.

Kinda fun integrating my  Pagan/Pantheistic and my wife/child's Christian philosophies
into it.

Unfortunately, I'm running behind in keeping it up. Still have the purple Advent cloth on it from Christmas time.

I need to put some spring/mardi gras elements on it.
peace,

samhain autumnwood.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook