Switch to Forum Live View later philosophical religion?
7 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 7:44PM #1
bob2
Greetings

I know very little, or possibly nothing about Hellenismos. I think I know that in the classic period there were the Gods and Goddesses we most  associate with the Greeks. Later on during the Helenistic periods some philosophers were atheist, while others took a cosmopolitan  all gods are one sort of approach. Some stoics took this approach (?) 

Do I have this more or less right or am I totally confused?
Are folks on this board interested in the classical period only or the later periods as well?

If my questions are not pertinent to this board then I apologize.

-thanks
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 7:44PM #2
bob2
Greetings

I know very little, or possibly nothing about Hellenismos. I think I know that in the classic period there were the Gods and Goddesses we most  associate with the Greeks. Later on during the Helenistic periods some philosophers were atheist, while others took a cosmopolitan  all gods are one sort of approach. Some stoics took this approach (?) 

Do I have this more or less right or am I totally confused?
Are folks on this board interested in the classical period only or the later periods as well?

If my questions are not pertinent to this board then I apologize.

-thanks
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2007 - 11:26PM #3
steve220
I think you could definitely make a case for that.  Historically, Stoics took a pretty pantheistic approach in that the entire universe sums up God, so the gods, if considered, might be just another part of the divine fabric just as everything else is, possibly with a higher concentration of the fiery breath of God . 

Neoplatonists also believed in one God but by logical necessity, lesser beings emmanated from it and created the world, (these can include the gods from the classical pantheons).  The reason being a perfect God could not have direct contact with an imperfect world that is a pale imitation of the true forms so intermediaries are needed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 8:15AM #4
Therapon
Khaire

I agree the Stoics were pantheistic and beleived that Zeus was the only God. Neoplatonism is a diffferent matter they being Polytheists. 

The Neoplatonist understanding of the divine is extremely complex.

The system begins with 'The One' from which the 'Divine Mind' emanates, in turn the 'World Soul' emanates from the Divine Mind. The One, Divine Mind & World Soul are called the 'three hypostasis', matter is non-being.

The Gods exist on all three levels. The Henads (Ones/Unities) of the Gods are said to be 'generations' of the One rather than emanations. This preserves the polytheism of Neoplatonism. The Gods according to the Neoplatonists were omniperfect beings.

The soul derives its origin from the One and seeks to return to it, this is accomplished by worshipping the Gods.

Sallustius' 'On the Gods and the Cosmos' is a great introduction to Neoplatonist theology.
http://www.goddess-athena.org/Encyclope … /index.htm

Erroso Therapon
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook