6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 12:30PM #1
annihilator
New thought teaches that the we are immortal beings.

I feel that that my soul had a beginning and I am ok with it having no end.

I wonder if this fits with any new thought teachings?

Man is three parts, Spirit, Soul, and body.  The Spirit has always been and the soul came into being at birth or conception.   Life (spirit) was breathed into a new soul. 

I don't like thinking that this soul of mine has been used before by others or that I have lived in an earlier time and just can't remember much.  I guess in the end I have volition and can believe whatever I choose and whatever makes most sence to me.  Comming from a Christian background reincarnation is a bit hard for me to swollow.

Thanks for you help.
Patrick
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 8:19PM #2
Flowupstream
Well Patrick,
Science Of Mind has no official position on the subject of reincarnation. Holmes expressed a belief in "the eternal validity" of the soul, but did not think he would inhabit a human body again. He believed in an eternal growth or unfolding and returning here would have meant to him that he hadn't grown.

The issue of reincarnation is left up to the individual. The same is true of past lives. My personal belief is that ALL past lives (which in Religious Science would be Universal Subjective) belong to all of us. "Past life memories' of another identity are, by deffinition, not "your" memories. According to S.O.M. our lives are made up, in part, by the evolution of consciousness. Memory of what we evolved from is no more of a surprise that the memories of our own childhood. It is the building blocks of "past consciousness" that we use to build the present. Who you are and what you are doing right now are building the future, not only of your individual identity, but consciousness in general. We are all constantly contributing to the universal conscious and collective unconscious alike.

kip
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2007 - 4:32AM #3
annihilator
Hi kip,
I like the freedom to believe as you choose.  All beliefs have and impact our life in the present.  I prefer to think that I had a beginning........when I was born this was a new soul coming to life.

Core concept nine in the Foundational class says "The Essence of every human is the incarnation of God at the center of his/her being. This Essance is eternal and changeless, the Devine Spart that can no more die then God can die."

So the creation of God is the Soul of humankind that is mixed with God's very nature.  This Soul of humankind comes into this world through cause and effect, as man and woman come together they bring about a new creation, another "incarnation" of God comes into the world.  Each Incanation is brand new, unique, and starts it Journey at Birth or conception and shall live forever growing and embodying it's birthright as an Incarnation of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2007 - 11:19AM #4
Flowupstream
[QUOTE=annihilator;124670]Hi kip,
I like the freedom to believe as you choose.  All beliefs have and impact our life in the present.  I prefer to think that I had a beginning........when I was born this was a new soul coming to life.

Core concept nine in the Foundational class says "The Essence of every human is the incarnation of God at the center of his/her being. This Essance is eternal and changeless, the Devine Spart that can no more die then God can die."

So the creation of God is the Soul of humankind that is mixed with God's very nature.  This Soul of humankind comes into this world through cause and effect, as man and woman come together they bring about a new creation, another "incarnation" of God comes into the world.  Each Incanation is brand new, unique, and starts it Journey at Birth or conception and shall live forever growing and embodying it's birthright as an Incarnation of God.[/QUOTE]

Hey Patrick,
I also appreciate the freedom to believe as we choose. I agree with much of what you said, except I personally don't believe in the individual living forever. I believe The Essence of the individual is The One and ONLY experiencer in the universe. The consciousness we each tend to think of as a seperate "me" is The One consciousness of us all and THAT lives forever. The individual "life" of a seperate person exists to perform a specific role within a physical enviornment for the purpose of The One Experiencer. The false belief in a seperate "ME" is the cause of all suffering. In Knowing that 'me' IS The Eternal One we lose attachment to physical conditions knowing that they will pass yet "I AM" remains unchanged.

But, like I said. It's good to be free to believe as we choose. This is my personal belief based on my experiences.

kip
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 4:55PM #5
The_Eye_Am
Patrick and kip,

It is good that each and every one of us can and does hold his/her own beliefs about the life eternal and the meaning of immortality.  It's just like everyone's picture/image/belief in God.  As close as we all may be in the NT community, we each hold a unique picture of God/Spirit that works for us.

My belief in reincarnation is that we were with God in the beginning, and have come incarnate when the 'time' was right for us.  This may include repeated incarnations - on this plane or another.  Patrick, it was interesting that you said that as a Christian (I'm figuring that you mean that your faith development background was within a traditional Christian church), you said that you weren't comfortable with the concept of reincarnation.  I am in no way attempting to change your mind or say that there is anything wrong with your belief; there isn't.  However, just as a point of interest:  when Jesus was presented with an opportunity to refute reincarnation, he didn't.  I'm not sure where in the gospels this is, but it is when he is with his disciples, and asks, "Who do men say that I am?"  The reply is, "Some say Elijah, one of the prophets."  Jesus' reply is, "I tell you that Elijah has come again in the form of John the Baptist, and they knew him not.  But who do you say that I am?"  That's when Peter pipes in with his answer that gets him the place of honor in today's Catholic church, with the words, "You are the Christ," and Jesus' statement of "...upon this rock I will build my church."   I find it interesting that there is a great focus on Peter being the rock of the church, yet the words prior to that statenent are not given much attention from the church.

Again, I believe that we all find the belief that feels comfortable to us in regards to the incarnation of our souls and immortality.

~Lori
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 8:50PM #6
Flowupstream
Wonderful post Lori,

And to take it a step further; Elijah's top deciple Elisha performed the same miricles as Jesus. All 14 of them. And when Jesus was on the cross and cried out "Eli, Eli" one of the Roman gards said "He thinks the profit will save him". If John The Baptist was indeed a reincarnation of Elijah then Jesus was probably Elisha! Especially when you consider the references to "the student becoming the teacher". There is much in The Bible, Old Testament and New, that supports the idea that Elijah returned to prepare the way for the student who advanced past him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 5:05AM #7
TigersEyeDowsing
Unity too takes no official stance on this, however many of us are reincarnation fans.  Divine Scientists are not as keen on rebirth.  Emmet Fox was sort of a unique Divine Scientist. 

I am okay with ceasing to exist, and I am okay with reincarnation.  To me, it explains individual circumstances.  Why some are born Mozarts and some are born in a third world country.
I was taught as a Christian that because my forefathers were good Christians, I was allowed to be born in America, while heathens are born in other countries as punishment for their parent's sin (of not knowing of or not accepting Jesus).  I do think reincarnation explains this, that we are born into current circumstances to parents that will further our lessons in life and what we need to learn-- as well as karma that hasn't been 'used', so to speak, from previous lives. 

But I'm not very hung up on it . ;)

I asked my Divine Science tutor what she thought about the afterlife, and she gave the allegory that she believes everything is made from playdough- or God, and our individual essences are simply 'pinches' in the dough, and at death we're just smoothed back into the All.  That was a nice explanation.

Love,

Joseph
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2008 - 8:29AM #8
The_Eye_Am
Hi Joseph,

You stated, " Emmet Fox was sort of a unique Divine Scientist."  Just as a point of trivia, and nothing more, are you aware that originally Emmet wanted to become an ordained Unity minister?  As close as he was to Charles Fillmore, and as imbued as he (Emmet)  was with the Truth principles, Charles was not able to ordain Emmet.  Emmet did not meet the requirements, the class work that was needed, in order to become an ordained Unity minister.  It was then that he went to Divine Science to become ordained. 

Since this is on the topic of reincarnation, maybe Emmet is now preaching from a platform somewhere in a Unity church nowadays. 
~Lori
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook