Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 3:10PM #41
anzertree
[QUOTE=VanillaMocha;139758] I don't see that much to get in a flap about. They are strictly fiction.  Chronicles of Narnia - another Christian fable with mythological slant that I enjoyed.  Again - fiction!!!![/QUOTE]

Go pick up a copy of Gilbert Ryle's Concept of mind. The mind isn't something to underestimate or toy with. It doesn't matter whether something is fiction or not. The subconscious mind sees everything as real, and it subconsciously effects our decisions and identity. The reason you are who you are is a result of everything you've experienced, be it real life experiences, movies, books, classes, games, etc. That includes fiction and no-fiction. Children are especially susceptible  because their identity is still developing. Anyone who has a degree in philosophy will tell you this. Your identity is a result of everything you put into your mind. What makes you you isn't a small portion of the mind; it's the whole thing.   

Furthermore, all this fictional stuff about killing God seems to be a prelude to something. Stuff like that would have been unheard of in mainstream entertainment not too long ago. But bit by bit, anti-religious themes are becoming more common. I feel like we're being conditioned for something much bigger.

As for Harry: I have a lot of respectable friends who like Harry Potter, and I really respect Rowling as a writer, but I never really enjoyed the books or movies. Something about looking at kids with a sense of wonder creeps me out.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 3:39PM #42
goodtobehome
I think you would enjoy a book I read recently, Anzertree, called 'Blink.'  It is basically on intuition, but there is some fascinating information on the power of mere words.  A study was detailed where persons were asked to form sentences from groups of words, quite a few of them.  There were purposely included in these word groupings, words that would give a person the subconcious idea of old age.  I don't recall the exact words.. but like 'wrinkle' and 'old' 'worried' 'lonely' I think even 'bingo' and 'Florida!'

They filmed people leaving after the test, and they even walked slower.. like they were OLD!

Words have great power.  Jesus said what comes out of our mouth shows our heart.  We would want to exercise care about what goes in, because we are going to be asked to answer for 'what comes out.'  Matt 15:11
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 3:47PM #43
newtoit
GTBH,
          Do you know why your little blue dot beside your name isn't showing that your onine? It is always blue and yet I keep seeing new posts by you. So are you online or not? lol Did you get me last email? *Newtoit*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 4:01PM #44
goodtobehome
You outed me!  It is in your settings.  You can hide that you are online. 

My last email from you was Dec 27th.  I am trying to recall if I emailed back, but I didn't email over the weekend, I am pretty sure, thinking you wouldn't be online anyway until today. 

I have doublechecked though, and the 27th is the last one.  If I got an email from you and it went awry somehow, I am jumping mad because I treasure them!

hugs

gtbh
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 4:09PM #45
newtoit
Yes the last one I sent was on the 27th. Thats when I came back to work. I was just wondering if it had gotten lost because I hadn't heard from you. Sorry for reveiling your secret!! lol I was just a bit confused why you where popping  up but weren't online.  Attention: Everyone ignore what just transpired. GTBH is not online!! lol Sorry. *Newtoit*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 4:17PM #46
goodtobehome
yes, and my weekend was insane.  I had to work til 3 Sat, and be at a Bible study at 4 ( and my Bible student and I have no idea how to have a one hour Bible study!) .  I had very limited time that evening, and even less on Sunday.. had to fly from the meeting straight to work, work til 8.  Have I mentioned how grateful I am to be off work today?  Phew! 

Btw, I am pretty impressed with you mentioning commenting at the book study.  Jump in the middle of Revelation, and commenting.  Pretty impressive.  I have been pestering Anzertree, have you read the Dec 15 study articles yet?  About  the new year text?  and the Exodus and us?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 4:30PM #47
newtoit
I realized yesterday at the meeting that someone may have given me the wrong Watchtower. Because I have the Jan watchtower and Awake but the article we were studing yesterday wasn't it that one so somewhere I have been skipped over. I just listened to what was going on. But I am going to see if I can get caught up. I think I may be having a book study tomorrow. I'm really not sure. I have been attending the hall for about 4 weeks now and have only had 1 book study with ashley. And before Titus got sick we were planning to double up so that I would be ready for baptisim in May but now I don't know. I have arrainged to study with another women and our first one was supposed to be yesterday and then after that on Tuesdays but Titus has gotten much worse and her husband is Titus' medical power of attorney and they had to be at the hospital. so I'm not sure if I will have a stuyd tomorrow or not. I understand why I haven't been having them considering what is going on but I'm getting kind of impatient because I'm afraid that the Elders won't think that I am ready by May. I am continuing on my own though, that way when I do get there it wont take long. I understand what you mean about running out of time. I work until 6 everyday and the meetings start at 7:30. So I have to leave work then pick alayla up by the time I get home I have about 40 minutes to get me and Alayla ready.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 4:40PM #48
goodtobehome
I keep thinking about the Bible students I have had to 'chase down' to get them to study!  You are such a treasure.  It often happens that persons are baptized before finishing 'two books.'  Then they just keep studying until the 'books' are completed.  Elders have years of experience determining if someone is 'ready' and their expectations aren't all that high.  They will just want to determine if you understand the basics, and mainly that you understand what you are embracing as a  life course.  You will be fine. 

I am sooo sorry to hear about the brother getting worse..now I am crying.  You understand... that is going to be so very hard.  Satan is a very determined foe... keep sticking to your Rock and encouraging the sister and brother to do so as well.

Encourage means to 'give courage too, to inspire.'  You are very inspiring, and any good thoughts you share with them will have double weight.  You and they continue in my prayers!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 4:56PM #49
newtoit
Thank you GTBH,
             I just updated my thread about Ashley and Titus. I was unable to go see them yesterday as I had like because the doctors have put a stop to the visitors. The hospital is 3 hours away from me so I can't just hope in the car and go check on them and because he has such short time Ashley won't leave. Which is understandable. I just really worry about her. Of course I am also worried for him but she will be left here alone. I worry about how she will be after this and if I will be able to help here stay her course. She says that I am a great insperation to her and have helped her a lot. She has a lot of health problems and because of these she misses probably more meetings then she should and I have helped her to get back to what she should be doing but after this I just don't know.
           Thank you for the incouragement with my studies. I do love to learn about the trurth so I am very eager to begin my studies again. I do hope that the Elders feel that I am ready. I feel like I know a lot but I know that there is always more I need to know. What kind of things do they ask? I know it's a while off but because I am unsure of my studies at this time I just want to feel preparied.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 5:00PM #50
philia01
GTBH, newtoit, sorry if I am interupting, I am wondering about the study article you are speaking about, Is it in the dec 15th watchtower? Thanks for your help, Philia
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook