Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 1:41PM #1
newtoit
Hi all,
     I know that this isn't really my forum to post in but I really felt that this was important and wanted to share it.
You all may have seen advertisements for the upcoming movie The Golden Compass, to be released December 7th. And to a child this seems like it would be a very exciting movie to see, I know that my 4 year old wants so see it badly. But as parents I feel that we should all know the real background of this story. The movie is based off of the first book in a trilogy called His Dark Materials written by a British author by the name of Phillip Pullman who claims to be "both an agnostic and an atheist." The series is one that follows the adventures of a streetwise girl who travels through multiple worlds populated by witches, armor-plated bears, and sinister ecclesiastical assassins to defeat the oppressive forces of a senile god and a nefarious Church known as the Magisterium. Another Character, an ex-nun, describes Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake." As I understand it, in the last book, a boy and girl are depicted representing Adam and Eve and they kill God, who at times is called YAHWEH. The movie itself has been played down a great deal in hopes that parents well take there kids to see it and say, hey this isn't that bad and go out and buy the books which are much worse. Here are a few quotes from the author himself; "I don't profess any religion; I don't think it's possible that there is a God; I have the greatest difficulty in understanding what is meant by the words 'spiritual' or 'spirituality.'"---"My books are about killing God"----in a 2001 interview, he said that he was "trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief."  And here are some quotes in regards to the author; in 2002 conservative British columnist Peter Hitchens labeled Pullman "The most dangerous author in Britain" and described him as the writer "the atheists would have been praying for, if atheists prayed." -----Bill Donohue, president of The Catholic League, "the movie is the bait for the books which are profoundly anti-Catholic and at the same times selling atheism to kids." The trilogy consists of the first book The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Depending on the success of The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife has a production date of 2009 and The Amber Spyglass is intended for production also but I can not a date for that one but you get the idea. Thank you all for listening to me "rant" a little about this I just feel very strongly that children should not be tricked into watching a fantastical subliminal production of one mans inane thoughts. Have great day! *Newtoit*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 2:11PM #2
juliannaP
Newtoit:

Thanks for posting that.  Wow!  I learn something new about that series every day.  Yes, I already decided that that movie can come and go as far as I am concerned.  When I heard that "Lyra and her demon-friend....."  Demon-friend?  Hmmmm.....didn't realize those two words were compatible!  That made my mind up right then.

Julianna
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 2:29PM #3
newtoit
Your more then welcome. Yeah I was a little alarmed about the demon friend thing also, Check out this site, it will give you a brief synopsis of The Golden Compass    http://www.randomhouse.com/features/pul … mpass.html
Not sure how to make it a link, sorry.
*Newtoit*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 2:59PM #4
ironuterus
I've heard somethings about the books too. I was watching the news and it mentioned that there are even parts of the trilogy that go into sex between 12 year olds!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 3:01PM #5
juliannaP
Yikes!  That's horrible!

Thanks for the link, newtoit.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 3:17PM #6
newtoit
I hadn't heard anything like that yet. I have been doing a lot of reading on it. It is just very disturbing to me that this is even being made into a movie at all. I had read somewhere that it has castration and femal circumcision in it. Some of this may have been taken out of context or could be completly untrue as I haven't read any of the books. I have called my local library and have had a copy put on hold. I may not read it but I would like to look over it. My daughter may one day come to me wanting to read it and I want to be able to explain why I will not allow it. And just think if this is being made into movie form could it one day be in curriculum. Could my daughters Junior english teacher one day tell her to read this book and write a paper on it. Its just scary to me. Things as horrid as this creeping so close to our kids. Being sugar coated and made to seem fun and exciting. *Newtoit*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 3:54PM #7
juliannaP
Good points, newtoit.  I agree.

julianna
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 4:05PM #8
newtoit
Thank you, not sure if you checked the welcome board today but I posted over there too. *Newtoit*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 2:29PM #9
newtoit
Your more then welcome. Yeah I was a little alarmed about the demon friend thing also, Check out this site, it will give you a brief synopsis of The Golden Compass    http://www.randomhouse.com/features/pul … mpass.html
Not sure how to make it a link, sorry.
*Newtoit*
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 2:59PM #10
ironuterus
I've heard somethings about the books too. I was watching the news and it mentioned that there are even parts of the trilogy that go into sex between 12 year olds!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook