Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Question about plants
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 6:50AM #1
liveinput
I thought that you were supposed to ask permission from any living thing including plants before  you did anything with it...or did they change that....Now someone told me that they are here to please your needs....has what i been told and taught changed???
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 11:28AM #2
samhainautumnwood
[QUOTE=liveinput;107266]I thought that you were supposed to ask permission from any living thing including plants before  you did anything with it...or did they change that....Now someone told me that they are here to please your needs....has what i been told and taught changed???[/QUOTE]

I've heard that before though I've never done it. I've never seen it as a formal "doctrine" that is taught. I have been known to be wrong though.

I think the short answer is "it depends".

I give a silent thanks to what I eat and exercise mindfulness of the wood that I put in the fire place being appreciative of the beauty of the grain and am amazed at how the energy I need is stored in the fibers and cells of the wood.

Reminding myself as I watch the fire burn that I am watching a chemical reaction and that energy, water, elements are being released and recycled. Nothing lost, just rearranged.

When I mow my yard (I call it harvesting mulch) I perceive myself as feeding my beloved trees.

If asking permission from the plants and animals that you use carries meaning for you and enhances your life and appreciation of them, by all means that is a wonderful thing to do.

If you feel silly doing that, and it doesn't add to your life by all means don't.

I live in a hunting culture where killing something is a sign of power and manhood. Personally, I think our culture would be well served with a dose of humility that comes with giving thanks to the animal for the life we've taken and exercising the responsibilty for not wasting it.
peace,

samhain autumnwood.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 12:42PM #3
Dromahair
I've never encountered a cow that wanted to be made into hamburgers or an apple that wanted to be made into a pie.

Asking permission IMO is pointless, unless you're actually waiting for a response.
I've encountered a few people who "asked permission" and then seemed to assume that the answer was always yes - which is (from my perspective) rather insulting to the animal/plant/whatever.

Thanking the animal also seems a little 'off' to me.  It didn't volunteer.

Honoring the life you are taking is more appropriate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 11:28AM #4
samhainautumnwood
[QUOTE=liveinput;107266]I thought that you were supposed to ask permission from any living thing including plants before  you did anything with it...or did they change that....Now someone told me that they are here to please your needs....has what i been told and taught changed???[/QUOTE]

I've heard that before though I've never done it. I've never seen it as a formal "doctrine" that is taught. I have been known to be wrong though.

I think the short answer is "it depends".

I give a silent thanks to what I eat and exercise mindfulness of the wood that I put in the fire place being appreciative of the beauty of the grain and am amazed at how the energy I need is stored in the fibers and cells of the wood.

Reminding myself as I watch the fire burn that I am watching a chemical reaction and that energy, water, elements are being released and recycled. Nothing lost, just rearranged.

When I mow my yard (I call it harvesting mulch) I perceive myself as feeding my beloved trees.

If asking permission from the plants and animals that you use carries meaning for you and enhances your life and appreciation of them, by all means that is a wonderful thing to do.

If you feel silly doing that, and it doesn't add to your life by all means don't.

I live in a hunting culture where killing something is a sign of power and manhood. Personally, I think our culture would be well served with a dose of humility that comes with giving thanks to the animal for the life we've taken and exercising the responsibilty for not wasting it.
peace,

samhain autumnwood.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 12:42PM #5
Dromahair
I've never encountered a cow that wanted to be made into hamburgers or an apple that wanted to be made into a pie.

Asking permission IMO is pointless, unless you're actually waiting for a response.
I've encountered a few people who "asked permission" and then seemed to assume that the answer was always yes - which is (from my perspective) rather insulting to the animal/plant/whatever.

Thanking the animal also seems a little 'off' to me.  It didn't volunteer.

Honoring the life you are taking is more appropriate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 3:44PM #6
CreakyHedgewitch
Perhaps you need to ask those who taught and told you in the first place as they seem to be the ones who supplied the supposed to that you are trying to comply with.

Or if you are asking as a Pagan,  you could just make up your own mind on the subject. Paganism after all isn't a religion, it is a spectrum of self-identifed and self-defined beliefs so one will find just about anything and everything if one looks far enough.

C.H.
No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 9:22PM #7
mainecaptain

liveinput wrote:

I thought that you were supposed to ask permission from any living thing including plants before you did anything with it...or did they change that....Now someone told me that they are here to please your needs....has what i been told and taught changed???

The plants I deal with would not appreciate being considered items for my use. I don't know about anyone else but my experience is they are Sentient aware beings. I am a Green Witch Hedgewitch. And an empath, I can feel plants especially trees, I can almost hear them at times.

I have found them to be aware and understanding of us. And if we learn to listen, (not throught our ears) we would be able to know what they are saying (feeling).

I ask or at the very least I let the plant know what I would like to use it for and try and sense for a response. If I do not get a negative I proceed. Other wise I don't. I have never felt the plant turn me down, but I try and always keep in mind it is alive as well.

Just my two cents

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2007 - 7:31AM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje
The biggest problem is wiping out whole biomes! We have just come out of a [COLOR="Red"]long[/COLOR] drought. Please be gentle on the Earth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 3:40PM #9
Seshen

I don't know where that originated; it's a common element of neo-pagan thought.  However, I don't adhere to it personally.  If I need it, I take it, and thank the plant for its contribution.  I do it with the least amount of harm to the plant, but I don't ask.  Being a part of the natural world, I'm as justified in taking for my personal need as the deer who strip the bark for food, etc.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 7:38AM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Plants need sunlight, water, and some food. Sometimes they get diseased, and so need relief from pests. It helps if you prune away dead and diseased tissues. Siting is important. For example, ferns need to be protected from drying out. So placed mine in shady spots. And as ferns have inefficient roots, they need to be kept wet. So I water them whenever I see them!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook