Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 4:51PM #1
ebthoreau
I'm reading a book by Lama Surya Das, in which he mentions Dzogchen. Can anyone explain to me what Dzogchen is and how it's related/different from standard Tibetan Buddhism? From what I can gather, it's not a lineage, but beyond that, I'm not sure if it's a meditation technique or something else. If I understand correctly, it's a method through which enlightenment can be achieved in a relatively short time. Many thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 12:40AM #2
ronnewmexico
His Holiness the Dali Lama has a book called..... Dzogchen,  Heart Essence of the Great Perfection.  Published by Snow Lion. I'm certain they have a web site. I personally found it a bit of a difficult read as Dzogchen is not my vehicle of choice,  and I intially read this in difficult circumstance in wilderness retreat, but you may not.  Dharma Scribe if he cares to and reads this, can probably provide more source material.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 12:43AM #3
ronnewmexico
DharmaScribe.......Geeze Louise, wake up and get to work!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 10:12AM #4
Tau
Lama Surya Das was my first main introduction to Buddhism. He runs the Dzogchen Center. The book that I read for my intro to Dzogchen is "Awakening the Buddha Within : Tibetan Wisdom for the Western World". I loved it. There are two more books in the Awakening series, but that is a great book to start with. There's also a bunch of resources on the website.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 10:12AM #5
Tau
Lama Surya Das was my first main introduction to Buddhism. He runs the Dzogchen Center. The book that I read for my intro to Dzogchen is "Awakening the Buddha Within : Tibetan Wisdom for the Western World". I loved it. There are two more books in the Awakening series, but that is a great book to start with. There's also a bunch of resources on the website.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 5:29PM #6
ebthoreau
That's actually the book I'm reading by Lama Surya Das, but I still don't understand exactly what Dzogchen is.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 5:30PM #7
ebthoreau
Sorry, I guess you each mentioned a book. I'm reading "Awakening the Buddha Within".
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2007 - 9:50PM #8
Dharmascribe
[QUOTE=ronnewmexico;107075]DharmaScribe.......Geeze Louise, wake up and get to work!!![/QUOTE]

Ooh! Sorry! Haven't checked in for a few days. Must say that the new format of these boards is a little off-putting for me...too complicated!

Anyway, the recent post indicating LSD's Web site is good (click on the 'Mandala' link), also the book by HH the Dalai Lama mentioned. LSD has several books--I'm sure he goes into it more in those if he doesn't in "Awakening the Buddha Within."

See also the Wikipedia entry for dzogchen...looks OK at a glance.

In general, dzogchen is a tantric practice from the Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism. Literally it's translated as the "Great Completion" or something like that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 12:34PM #9
Kartari
LSD's Awakening the Buddha Within was my first intro to Buddhism as well some years ago, and it remains one of my favorites.

Dzogchen is a practice aimed at rapidly getting in touch with the primordial mind (aka inherent Buddha nature) and maintaining that connection not only during meditation but throughout one's life.

Thanks Dharmascribe for the Wikipedia suggestion - great article - didn't know that was there. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 2:15AM #10
Author
Sogyal Rinpoche, in The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying provides clarifying comments that are helpful.

Paraphrasing, Dzogchen is a state, the primordial state, that is the essence of the total awakening of the buddhas. It is often called the Great Perfection.

It refers to our fundamental state, our original nature, which buddhas recognize, while others become confused.

Sogyal Rinpoche writes that a return to the truth of our original nature is the Path of Dzogchen. And to realize our original nature is to attain complete liberation and become a buddha.

It is considered by some to be one of the highest levels of practice one can pursue.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook