6 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 1:29AM #1
Deas
Hi everyone.. I've been struggling with my beliefs for the past few years, and without getting too far into it... I used to be a Gaelic Traditionalist, ended up giving up on "belief" and... soon after that I felt pulled to Fyrn Sidu, the god Frey and so much more.. For a long time I felt like a "cultural heathen" - I didn't believe anymore but the pre-Christian Celtic, Germanic and to a lesser extant other IE ways were so much more a part of who I was than anything else (I started out as essentially a reconstructionist when I was 13, and was a GT until I was 19).

So, over the past couple of years it keeps coming back to me.. and I can't bring myself beyond being agnostic about the gods and unseen things, but they do draw me somehow... I think they are real at least as something 'in us' that I can't really explain... And I know I am probably opening a can of worms here (or a grenade) I should know better to than, but is that "ok"? I mean, I know I can believe whatever I want but would any heathens consider me anything as other than an outsider (or cultural misappropriating scum) if I did so?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 12:17PM #2
TonyCoyote

Deas wrote:

but would any heathens consider me anything as other than an outsider (or cultural misappropriating scum) if I did so?

Only stupid ones. Believing in the Gods isn't a prerequisite for culture. Ancient Germanic society and religion were not obsessed over everyone having the "correct belief," right action was more important. For myself, if someone doesn't disrespect the Gods or otherwise blaspheme, I could care less what their specific conception of the Gods is. On the other hand, I'd consider you an outsider, but that's because I don't know you and you aren't a member of my particular folc, not because of your theological feelings. ;-P

Uuela

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 5:52PM #3
Deas
[QUOTE=TonyCoyote;102910]Only stupid ones. Believing in the Gods isn't a prerequisite for culture. Ancient Germanic society and religion were not obsessed over everyone having the "correct belief," right action was more important. For myself, if someone doesn't disrespect the Gods or otherwise blaspheme, I could care less what their specific conception of the Gods is. On the other hand, I'd consider you an outsider, but that's because I don't know you and you aren't a member of my particular folc, not because of your theological feelings. ;-P

Uuela[/QUOTE]

OK, that makes sense to me.:)

Part of why I find appeal in the ancient ways is because their ethic is in agreement with mine -  the sense of duty to one's family and others, keeping frith, respecting the balance of things, the value on wisdom and so forth. I get the idea of a way of living that both calls for self dependence and strength, using your own mind, not giving blind allegiance or acceptance - but also still respecting the fact of nature that we're all dependent on outside forces, nature, and the interdependence of everything that exists... Which, are all things I already value. I can't quite figure out if I should just go my own way or try and follow my beliefs in the context of the ancient ways, since something that I identify with the gods pulls to me. And I'm not sure what my point is, but I'm glad at least unusual conceptions are tolerable to someone.:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 9:32PM #4
John_T_Mainer
[QUOTE=Deas;102198]Hi everyone.. I've been struggling with my beliefs for the past few years, and without getting too far into it... I used to be a Gaelic Traditionalist, ended up giving up on "belief" and... soon after that I felt pulled to Fyrn Sidu, the god Frey and so much more.. For a long time I felt like a "cultural heathen" - I didn't believe anymore but the pre-Christian Celtic, Germanic and to a lesser extant other IE ways were so much more a part of who I was than anything else (I started out as essentially a reconstructionist when I was 13, and was a GT until I was 19).

So, over the past couple of years it keeps coming back to me.. and I can't bring myself beyond being agnostic about the gods and unseen things, but they do draw me somehow... I think they are real at least as something 'in us' that I can't really explain... And I know I am probably opening a can of worms here (or a grenade) I should know better to than, but is that "ok"? I mean, I know I can believe whatever I want but would any heathens consider me anything as other than an outsider (or cultural misappropriating scum) if I did so?[/QUOTE]

It is a folkway, not a religion.  We don't tell you to pray or go to hel.  We tell you to live honourably, and trust that you will find your way to the shining halls by virtue of your deeds.  If you live well, but doubt all the days of your life, the gods will not think the less of you.  Your ancestors, right back to the gods themselves, watch and judge your deeds.  Your offerings at blot and symbel are the gravy but the meat is your deeds.

I'm sure that if Frey drew and guided you in your youth, he set your feet upon the path.  Follow the path that you see, and do not worry about the gods.  If they felt you were going astray, they would let you know.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2007 - 11:50AM #5
Ancestral
Here's another one! Please check out my profile, links and journal entries here on Beliefnet as ithey deal with the very issues you are bringing up.

http://community.beliefnet.com/ancestral/

In frith,

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 10:40AM #6
Long-tailed_Cat
I have to echo everyone else, you don't have to believe in the supernatural to believe in your ancestors, to honor and practice their customs.

I myself don't  really hold any beliefs in the supernatural, aside from a vague feeling that there probably is an afterlife, where I will join my ancestors one day.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 10:40AM #7
Long-tailed_Cat
I have to echo everyone else, you don't have to believe in the supernatural to believe in your ancestors, to honor and practice their customs.

I myself don't  really hold any beliefs in the supernatural, aside from a vague feeling that there probably is an afterlife, where I will join my ancestors one day.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 10:13PM #8
Deas
[QUOTE=Ancestral;117410]Here's another one! Please check out my profile, links and journal entries here on Beliefnet as ithey deal with the very issues you are bringing up.

http://community.beliefnet.com/ancestral/

In frith,

Dave[/QUOTE]

Wow. Thanks for the link, I'm finding your journal entries and links interesting.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook