Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View anyone ever married someone they met online?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 6:42PM #1
sarahk269
I'm wondering how successful online dating websites actually are. Anyone have any good success stories they'd like to share?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 12:42AM #2
need4truth
I met my ex-husband online. Even though we're no longer married, I feel that the initial result was a "success." In other words, I believe our divorce had nothing to do with us meeting online (say, rather than through community contacts). Whatever issues we had were due to problems established before the marriage.

There was a point very early on into the marriage in which I completely forgot that I met him online. At first, it felt weird (almost taboo!) to tell people how we met, but I think since it's been a few years, meeting your spouse online isn't so peculiar sounding any more.

Do you have any specific questions?

n4t
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 4:24AM #3
GraceSA
Hello,
One of my relatives- American non-Muslim, met her fiance online.  He's lovely- the whole family likes him.

She did have several initial "dates" with different folks before a connection was made.  But none of those were bad either. 

She did it after several of her friends were succesful online.

Salaam,
Grace
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 11:29AM #4
Leanne30
I met my husband online almost a year ago and we got married 4 months ago.  We spent almost a month talking back and forth online and on the phone before meeting in person.   I took him to meet my parents after we had been dating for awhile and once we had decided to move things forward.  They loved  him so much. 

I can tell you that you have to be very careful when going on these sites.  There are a lot of psycho's on there but if you really pay attention to what people say its usually easy to pick them out.  If what someone says sounds too good to be true...then it probably is.  Getting to know someone by talking online or on the phone for at least a month is best.  It gave me time to get to know my husband pretty well before meeting in person.  Once we met, it was an instant attraction for me atleast....id have to ask him.  Just kidding. 

I feel very lucky to have met my husband at all.  I feel it was meant for us to meet.  There were so many things that happened...had any one of them not occurred we never would have crossed paths.  I believe God has a plan for everyone and everything and this was the beginning of his new plan for me. 

I wish you the best of luck in your search and be careful

Leanne
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2007 - 7:08PM #5
Leanne30
Congratulations Aya's Mama.  I can only hope that my husband and I have as long and happy a marriage as you have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 10:16PM #6
Dilek74
Salaam alaykum,

I met my husband online about almost 6 years ago.  We chatted and phoned for about a month before he moved to my state.  We've been married for nearly 6 years and have a 3 year old.  It can be done.

salaams
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2007 - 12:36AM #7
msdeebro
I have many friends that met online! Most are over 8 years ago and some fewer. They are all happy and hanging in there. Allah never said that our mates were going to come to us the normal way, LOL !!

Like Dilek said: "It can be done"!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 5:53PM #8
Salikah
Before I met my husband (Which oddly enough was a blind date 'set up' by my elderly professor,)

I frequently met people from online and many of them are now good friends.  I dated a number of them but none of them 'clicked'
A number of these friends eventually met their spouses online, one who's married 10 years now.

I would follow the advice of making sure you really know the person and listen to your intuition.  If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.  And I always met the person in a public place for the first time, and never gave out my home number (used my cell phone). 
If the person was from out of town and one of us was flying in to meet the other, I would insist on a hotel or staying with friends. 

It may sound paranoid, but I believe because I took care of myself and ensured a safe situation for myself in every way I never had a negative experience.  I, as well as many others I am sure, know someone who has had a negative experience with someone on the internet. 
And for the record I'd like to point out it's not always the women who have negative experiences, I know men who have met equally strange humans off the net!

If there's someone who you feel is potentially the one, then go for it!  Just take care of yourself
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 1:37PM #9
newmuslimlady
I've known people who have been tricked into marrying because someone wanted to come to the U.S. or whereever and was trying to get a greencard.   Just be careful.   

I know a lady who met her husband online and they've been married for about 4 or 5 years now.  They are very, very happy and have two little boys.   He's a good Husband, father and Muslim.   :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 7:08PM #10
GraceSA
I'm glad you said that.  I was "corrected" on a different thread and told that no one needs to marry for green cards anymore. Ahem.  Well, I'm sure times have changed since I went on the happy husband hunt- but they haven't changed that much.  Definately be careful.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook