Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View SST: The Nitty Gritty of Magical Living
6 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2007 - 3:45PM #1
KeaErisdottir

I get why people want things to be simple, scriptural, stamped and approved by the powers that be--or at least agreed upon by the perceived majority.  But what happens when that isn't the way the system works?  What happens when it is left up to you how to proceed, without the safety net of a book, or a leader, or a congregation to tell you what to do about something?

I was always taught that 'to be a witch is to be alone', not only because we are all, and must be competent solitary practitioners of the Art, but also because we are left to our own devices and conscience when it comes to our conduct.  How we think, how we approach, how we react to things is what matters--not whatever moralilty we suppose to infer from from some book, or the mouth of some Big Name Pagan.

The Wiccan Rede, The Law of Return, The Rule of Three/Five/Seven/Ten/Hundred, and The Threefold Law have all been mangled in turn by people who want rules so that they don't have to start thinking and taking responsibility for their lives.  What is a guide for behavior becomes suddenly Abrahamic morality. And to be completely blunt, the Abrahamic morality floating around in our society kills thought and free expression, because everyone is afraid of what everyone else is going to think of them if they aren't happy little conformists.

This is Wicca.  We aren't conformists.  We are supposed to be free.  Being free means making choices.  It also means having the sense of responsibility that is incumbent on being free.  If you can't own your stuff, and live with the consequences of your actions and choices, then you aren't free.  Really, it's that simple.  I'm not a "Harm none" junkie, and don't believe the notion has anything to do with Wicca.  Being a witch calls upon you to own your stuff, walk your talk, and live with the intended and unintended consequences of your actions.

If you can't live with it, then don't do it.  Period.

There are no intercessors or guys to atone for your sins, no one to blame if you get it wrong, and no one but you to hold responsible when you do so.  There are also no intercessors or guys to atone for your sins, when you get it right, and the outcome is still unhappy.  There are people around sometimes to tell you that you did the right thing, and to remind you of the circumstances, and why you did what you did, but the act is still yours and you still have to live with it.

And sometimes you can't avoid doing something that causes 'harm', by whatever definition.  Worse, sometimes you have to do something that causes 'harm' to make things better.  You have to live with that, too.  Been there, and done that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 9:43PM #2
TheWhiteHart
It is the difference between what consists of one's personal practice, and what consists of one's tradition and Traditional practices. General day to day stuff is quite Solitary. But the Celebrations of the seasons and the Mysteries are times of gathering... and there are magics which are aided when there are other focused witches in Circle with you raising the power.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2007 - 3:41PM #3
BrotherFada
Hex,

I don't read where Kea says that there is no place for a coven.  I was also taught that to be "one like Us"  was to be alone in many respects.  My take on Kea's offering is that she's stating a simple truth in being Wicca---that is, our accountability and responsiblities.  Wasn't it GB Shaw who wrote "Freedom means responsibility.  That's why most men fear it" ?

-BF--who is NOT adapting well to the changes in b'net yet ;-)  Give me time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 9:57AM #4
Lunacie

TheWhiteHart wrote:

It is the difference between what consists of one's personal practice, and what consists of one's tradition and Traditional practices. General day to day stuff is quite Solitary. But the Celebrations of the seasons and the Mysteries are times of gathering... and there are magics which are aided when there are other focused witches in Circle with you raising the power.

That's how I see it as well. And it seems that would mean that when the group does some kind of working that goes awry, the group is responsible for the consequences and for cleaning up after themselves... as a group, neh?

Have you seen groups where the leader feels that everything (every choice, every decision, every consequence) falls solely on them? And then they get cranky with the group for making them do the clean up?

I haven't been in that situation, but until recently I was in a group where the leader seemed to lack the ambition to lead the group in any kind of group working, apparently for fear that she would be the one who was ultimately responsible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 9:57AM #5
Lunacie

TheWhiteHart wrote:

That's how I see it as well. And it seems that would mean that when the group does some kind of working that goes awry, the group is responsible for the consequences and for cleaning up after themselves... as a group, neh?

Have you seen groups where the leader feels that everything (every choice, every decision, every consequence) falls solely on them? And then they get cranky with the group for making them do the clean up?

I haven't been in that situation, but until recently I was in a group where the leader seemed to lack the ambition to lead the group in any kind of group working, apparently for fear that she would be the one who was ultimately responsible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2007 - 7:19AM #6
lexa_blue
Kea--what a beautiful post.  I completely agree with you, and I'm at a place right now where I could really use some affirmation in this area.  Thanks for sharing with us!
Blessed Yule,
Lexa
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2007 - 7:19AM #7
lexa_blue
Kea--what a beautiful post.  I completely agree with you, and I'm at a place right now where I could really use some affirmation in this area.  Thanks for sharing with us!
Blessed Yule,
Lexa
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 2:45PM #8
KeaErisdottir
[QUOTE=HexPainter;96396]

The question then becomes if being a Witch is a Solitary Practice what is the need for the Coven?

I'm not sure that group practice is even relevant here.  But the logical answer would be, outside of the obvious benefits of group work and celebration of the Sabbats themselves, mutual support among those of like mind.  I see no need to assume that ownership of self means that one would not want to be with others like yourself.

[QUOTE]13 Priestess /Priests in circle would tend to produce a heirarchy, a pecking order, a social order.

Are you part of a group composed of such people?  My experience is that there is quite a lot less of that heirarchy than people assume.  It is, afterall, a circle of equals.

Which in turn then could lead to other things not needed in practice, such as the Rede. [/QUOTE]

Again, I don't know where this is relevant when everyone owns themselves.  That is, unless the assumption that such people and groups don't exist.

A perfect Coven would only need consist of the Priestess and Priest in possession of the Mysteries. (not truely a Solitary Practice.)[/QUOTE]

A 'perfect' coven consists of as many people who can work in harmony toward the worship of the Gods and the Work of the Craft.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 10:51AM #9
KeaErisdottir
bump(since it was mentioned elsewhere)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 7:27PM #10
Phreakiboi
I often find myself in the struggle to find the "right" way of Wicca.  And I think one of the things that renews my love of Wicca and interesting in it is exactly what you have said, Kea.  There isn't a right way.  All of the answers aren't out there, and no one would ever agree on them if they were.

I like that you talk about self-responsibilty, Kea.  One of the tenets by which I try to live my life is self-responsibility.  America today has molded itself into a people who expect the world to kiss their ass.  And I'm sure you would agree that the world would rather its lips be elsewhere!

I lovelovelove that you nipped the Law of Return, etc., in the bud!  I always found that a bit silly.  And "three" seemed like a rather random number (as do five, seven, etc.!).  I do find the Rede helpful, though.  Not the watered down "Harm none," because that's completely impossible and *unnatural*!  The version I use, "An it harm none, do as you will" (or however you know it--it does vary a lot, doesn' tit?) is, to me, an ideal.  To me, it says "When you are harming no one, you are completely free."  But since that's completely impossible, it says to me that the goal is to try to help as much as possible.  That will involve harming at times, of course, but the goal is there.

Of course, the idea that the Rede itself is unnecessary is completely true.  I find the magic in the working with it: seeing what it means, applying it, really using the brain between my ears!  Blindly accepting something, not working with it, growing to understand it: that is the way of much of America today.  Know the rules.  But don't *know* the rules.

I admire your views on the subject, Kea!  Down with the fluff!  Haha. =)  And it seems you've sparked a healthy debate as well.  Excellent!

Best to all,

Phreakiboi

p.s. The subject of this thread begins with "SST."  Could someone let me in on what that means, please?  I feel silly!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook