Page 7 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can I still be a Christian?
6 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 3:02PM #61
Stardove
Once again.....I have removed a thread by a members that posts in the Faith Community for Evangelical Christians.  Faith Communities are for members that have beliefs that are basically alike.

IMO.  Progressive Christians do not hold to the same beliefs that Evangelical Christians do.

If your thread is removed then I am posting this to you.  You are welcome to go to the Discuss Progressive Christianity, but refrain from posting at this Faith Community.  I'll add I wanted to send a private message, but your profile page would not allow me to contact you.

The Moderator
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 9:01PM #62
steve220
[QUOTE=bigbear6161;621903]It would be interesting to find out how long (if for any length of time) these various traditions existed peacefully within the early Christian movement, a true heterodoxy (different teachings), and if people felt that one could dance different dances at different times (perhaps in different "musical" contexts).  Ultimately, the (sad) fact of history  is that people felt the need to drive toward an orthodoxy which was formalized at Nicea.  [/QUOTE]

Interesting thought Big Bear.  We know that Paul was not a fan of different "gospels" from his own letters.  I wonder what the addressees thought of his opinions (Some liked them enough to keep the letters at least).  I believe that according to either Elaine Pagels or Justo Gonzales, the "heretics" were more comfortable in the orthodox ("straight-thinking", who came up with that?)  churches than vice versa.

Yeah, they did need to crystallize their beliefs.  Probably because of people like me who despise ambiguity.  According to the Austin, TX band Spoon "Religion don't mean a thing, it's just a way to be right."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 5:36PM #63
BetteTheRedde

steve220 wrote:

[...]Probably because of people like me who despise ambiguity. [...]

That's an interesting statement, steve. I have found most progressive Christians quite or very comfortable with ambiguity. It's about the questions, not the answers, yes?

"Sometimes they are referred to as the 'radical Right.' But the fact is that there is nothing radical about them. They offer no novel solutions to the problems that plague them; indeed, they offer no solutions at all. They are immensely discontented with things as they are and furiously impatient with almost everyone in public office who can in any way be held responsible for their frustrations. But it cannot be said that they hold any clearly stated objectives or have any specific program either in common or individuals. They are fundamentally and temperamentally 'aginners.' And perhaps the commonest characteristic among them is anger. They can fairly be called, if nothing else, the Rampageous Right."

Alan Barth, New York Times, November 26, 1961
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 4:00PM #64
Starcomet
[QUOTE=BetteTheRedde;639595]That's an interesting statement, steve. I have found most progressive Christians quite or very comfortable with ambiguity. It's about the questions, not the answers, yes?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I love the msytery and ambiguity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2008 - 11:25AM #65
smcisaac

BetteTheRedde wrote:

That's an interesting statement, steve. I have found most progressive Christians quite or very comfortable with ambiguity. It's about the questions, not the answers, yes?

Like many churches, mine has a poster frame on the front lawn with pithy messages that change from time to time. One we had up recently was, "Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers."

"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way."  Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

"Christ will regenerate all things; through Him all things will be purged, and return into eternal life. And when the Son shall deliver up the kingdom to the Father, all things will be God; that is, all things will still exist, but God will exist in them, and they will be full of Him." Fabius Manus Victorinus, c. 350 AD
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2008 - 12:10PM #66
soblessed3
This is a simple question. Do you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins? Do you accept Jesus Christ into your heart as your Lord and savior? If yes, then you are a Christian. It's as simple as that.
Don't worry, the trinity is confusing to me too. So are alot of things in the bible. I guess they have to leave something for us to ask when we go to the pearly gates. lol
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2008 - 11:25AM #67
smcisaac

BetteTheRedde wrote:

Like many churches, mine has a poster frame on the front lawn with pithy messages that change from time to time. One we had up recently was, "Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers."

"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way."  Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

"Christ will regenerate all things; through Him all things will be purged, and return into eternal life. And when the Son shall deliver up the kingdom to the Father, all things will be God; that is, all things will still exist, but God will exist in them, and they will be full of Him." Fabius Manus Victorinus, c. 350 AD
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2008 - 12:10PM #68
soblessed3
This is a simple question. Do you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins? Do you accept Jesus Christ into your heart as your Lord and savior? If yes, then you are a Christian. It's as simple as that.
Don't worry, the trinity is confusing to me too. So are alot of things in the bible. I guess they have to leave something for us to ask when we go to the pearly gates. lol
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2008 - 1:48PM #69
smcisaac

soblessed3 wrote:

No, it's not as simple as that.  First of all, it's two questions!  Moreover, if you answer no to either one or both of them because you disagree with the way the questions are framed, you're also probably a Christian, because you care enough to pay attention.  It's only if you think the questions are stupid and the answers meaningless, that you're probably not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2008 - 4:12PM #70
Rev_Roger
In short, If you consider yourself Christian, you are Christian. 
To demand adherance to dogma or orthodoxy is, IMO is elevating oneself above God....

roger@progressivechristianalliance.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook