Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What exactly do Jedi believe?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2007 - 10:43PM #1
Shootingstarmagic
Every "religion" or spiritual thought has tenets or guidelines.  What do Jedi believe?  Is there something written down or is it loosely passed from the master to the padawan?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 9:47PM #2
ironuterus
I'm curious too! I love watching star wars. I had no Idea people really beileved in the "force."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 6:12PM #3
Unknownsoul
[QUOTE=ironuterus;106817]I'm curious too! I love watching star wars. I had no Idea people really beileved in the "force."[/QUOTE]
They don't. The internet is very powerful at annoying people. Proof- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon  and the leekspin AMV.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 6:13PM #4
Unknownsoul
Well, they do believe in the force as in aura and chi. Which, from my views are very real.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 12:13PM #5
anzertree
I believe in the force of gravity. But I have to admit, moving stuff with your mind would be pretty cool. Then I could become an NBA superstar, and I'd totally mess with people all the time. I guess if you could move large objects then you could fly as well. That would be sweet. You sure would have to be focused, though. It would suck if I lost concentration. Hey, it's raining white guys...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 11:08PM #6
xenophobeWASO
-The Sith Code-

There is no Peace~There is Anger.
There is no Fear~There is Power.
There is no Death~There is Immortality.
There is no Weakness~There is the Dark Side.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free

The Sith see themselves as seekers, challengers of old and stagnant ways, in touch with the laws of nature and the universe. They saw the Jedi as denying their natures and afraid of the truth around them.

Passions were what kept all creatures - from the most rudimentary to the most evolved sentient - alive.
"To think us creatures beyond the need of simple passions is a delusion."

They believed that mastery of their passions gave them strength the Jedi lacked.

The Sith did not believe that victory by any means was desirable, but believed that unless victory proved your superiority, it was an illusion and temporary. Though there might be different types of victories—peaceful victory, victory by sacrifice, even a truce—Sith dogma taught that unless the victory was achieved by demonstrating that one's power was superior it was not true victory. The stronger a Sith became in the Force, the more power he could achieve, but he always had to fight for that power.

The true meaning of the line "…my chains are broken" was a subject of argument among many Sith. The chains represented a being's restrictions; not just a Sith but any being in the universe. The restrictions could be those placed upon a being by someone else, or restrictions that one placed upon oneself. The ultimate goal of any Sith was to free himself from such restrictions, but not (as many failed Sith pupils believed) in the simplistic meaning of just being able to do whatever he wanted. The Sith desired to free themselves in order to reach perfection and fulfill their potential. They wanted perfect strength, perfect power, and perfect destiny, which, in turn, allowed one to do whatever they wanted for the most part. The person who had these abilities was known as the Sith'ari.

The Sith'ari was supposed to destroy the Sith and then make them stronger than ever (and was possibly the same person as the Jedi Chosen One or Darth Bane who "destroyed" the Sith by making the rule of two and only allowing two Sith Lords at a time, but at the same time make them stronger). This caused many Sith to treat perfection as a goal to work towards rather than a strict state of being, and in that way they were very like the Jedi.

In the end, the Sith and the Jedi were sadly more alike than either side would admit. Darth Traya would often remark upon this, telling the Jedi Exile that the Sith, "in their hearts...they never forgot the Jedi." Like the Jedi, the Sith considered attachments a hindrance.  "Love is more dangerous than all those things. Love leads to anger and hatred more often that not... but it also leads to mercy, which is far worse." Millennia later, Lumiya told Jacen Solo that in order to achieve enough power to end galactic chaos, he would have to "kill what he loved" - his family.

as a sith as far as a one could really be a sith haha,

like obi-wan kenobi was certainly not a good friend he did not see the danger of assocation of his padawan with others, he would not speak to his padawan in a logical mannor and enraging his padawan, obi was a poor friend in act and deed. the jedi order were slaves to their order and easly manipulated and became fascist icons of the republic enforcers of democracy that destroyed the republic and destroys all republics. the jedi order were the product of mob rule of all democracys. the sith know that attempts to live in peace with those that harbor hate and fear of systems nad planets in the same republic would cause internal chaos. like islamic nations and other nations will never work and inside these islamic nations people will secretly seek the death of non-muslims. this is a fine example of that happend inside the republic and the sith know the reality of democracy and this false order that the jedi protected. it is a false peace and false security. the sith do not seek to convert all of the sith faith unlike western religions of the world, where as the eastern faiths do not care if they convert. the jedi faith is a weak and steriol faith they are eunics and enforce the rule of the weak in the world. as a zen buddhist i can say i see the truth of sith and the fraud of the jedi. i have serious logical reason to have totaly contempt for the jedi.. they are eunics and are a sad order and that is why they were distroyed in the old republic and the rule of two was in some ways a reaction to the consept made to help keep them from reverting to jedi falts and failiers, the differance between the sith and jedi are so tiny and few and far between. the jedi methods and ways are great if they understand that peace is a lie. peace can never exist when people have to curb their natures to coexist. i personally would love to see the day that western (judaism/xianity/islam) religion dies completely then we will see much more peace in the world. day by day this is becoming a reality but untill then we will never see peace in the world because they can never coexist with other faiths, they have this desire to destroy others and those that claim other wise are not as into their western faith as they woudl be likely to admit.  i have no problem with them as long as they do not annoy me with blue laws and false values but still that is only the fundy variety i am really talkign about. personally i find their moralls actually very lax. but the jedi coexistance theories are a patent lie... long live the emperor, long live the empire.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 11:30PM #7
xenophobeWASO
[QUOTE=ShootingStarMagic;75190]Every "religion" or spiritual thought has tenets or guidelines.  What do Jedi believe?  Is there something written down or is it loosely passed from the master to the padawan?[/QUOTE]

the jedi are hucksters are like wicca and witch craft trying to be cool and weird and annoy people. they want to sound serious and so smart i am sure some of them will say oh lucas just wrote about jedi becasue he knoew they existed , or the religion of the week untill they get in a relationship with some one and start going back to church, like the gals i knew in high school that were all bisexual and open about their sex lives are now ashamed about it and even deny it saying i was just messing with everyone forgetting when they were drunk more then just me saw them in action.
i have nothing against them just an example i was useing.  homosexuals and bisexuals are just people that have emotional issues (sexual abuses as children or teens or drug use or serious emotional issues or shocks or a combination causes this to happen in all cases) or hormonal (fetal brain devolpment problems) issues is all , no more no less. homosexuality and bisexuality is common but certainly not normal. lust does not equal love.. nore does using people for sexual gratification justify amoral behavior. just another product of wrong thinking i guess. the logic of man plus woman equals out properly. celibacy is the only moral and logical choice for people in their positon. i have yet to see a stable non-hetrosexual person much less see a stable hetrosexual that does not understand rigtt action in a marriage. most people are so emotionally chaotic that it is no wonder they divorce.

people have soem strange motvations with religion. the opiate of the masses. i guess that is why china lets the buddhists be to a point. i think that people use religion to impress people or how pious or how eliete they are. like they can have somehting over some one else thinknig them more intellectual or something, i guess that is why i think religion is stupid in general. i personally do not think the whole dumb smart thing applies to religion. religion adhearance is typically emotional or the product of brainwashing. religionists are all crazy and illogical in my point of view.

like when i have children i will not force any religion on them at all and when they are old enough i will teach then that religion is a human invention and totally illogical fear mongering, so they do not get suckered by religionists. logic is my religion LOL religions is just a form of suckering and there is a sucker born every second..
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 4:56AM #8
Br.John.Henry
I see Jedi Knight April has posted some of the information already but here is more.

See:  http://TempleOfTheJediOrder.org

Temple Of The Jedi Order Doctrine & Creed

Jediism is an interfaith initiative and a  syncretistic religion - a faith involving elements from two or more religions including Taoism, Shintoism, Buddhism, Christianity, Mysticism, and many other Religions' universal truths, a combination of martial arts and the Code of Chivalry.  These philosophies are the heart of Jediism; not the wonderful Star Wars movies themselves except to serve as parables.

Real Jedi (Jediists') are modern versions of the Shao Lin Monk, the European Knight, and the Samurai Warrior. The Jedi religion is an inspiration and a way of life for many people throughout the world who take on the mantle of Jedi.  Jediism is merely a new name for ancient faiths.  Masters of Jediism have been here on Earth for over 5,000 years under many names including Buddah, Jesus,  LaoTsu, St. Francis of Assisi, Ghandi, Martin Luthor King and so many others ....

Jedi apply the principles, ideals, philosophies, and teachings of Jediism in a practical manner within their lives.  Jedi seek the Living Force Of Creation for guidance.  Jedi follow what the Light Side of the Force which is the proper use of the force.  Misuse and abouse of The Force is the Dark Side.

There is no absolute or universal consensus among the world's scholars as to the definition of religion, but the following is a good one, and is the official definition of the religion of Jediism at The Temple of the Jedi Order.

Jedi define religion as:

re·li·gion (n)

A set of beliefs, values, and practices; a cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion; a system of thought, feeling, and action that is shared by a group and that gives the members a code of behavior by which those individuals may judge the personal and social consequences of their actions; also a frame of reference by which individuals may relate to their group, their universe and The Living Force.Of Creation.

Jedi are Idealists not Materialists; this is our axiom that consciousness is the basis of reality not matter.

Many Jedi follow a syncretistic religion -- a faith involving elements from two or more religions.  Jediism itself is a syncretistic religion.  One can be strictly a Jedi, a Wiccan Jedi, a Christian Jedi, a Buddhist Jedi, or an Agnostic Jedi, for example, but Jediism is a religion and a way of life in and of itself.  Real Jedi do not Worship the Force, or George Lucas, or Star Wars or anything of the sort. Jediism is not based in fiction, but rather explained more clearly by the myths and made applicable to real life.

Jedi Believe:

In the inherent worth of every person. People are worthy of respect, support, and caring simply because they are human.

In working towards a culture that is relatively free of discrimination on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, national origin, degree of ability, age, etc.

In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1

In the importance of democracy within religious, political and other structures.

In the separation of church and state; and the freedoms of speech, association, and expression. 2

That the systems of truth in the field of morals, ethics, and religious belief that we have studied are not absolute: they vary by culture, by religion, and over time.

In the generally positive influence that most religions have had on their followers and on society. 3

In the importance of individual believers determining evil influences and policies within their chosen faith group, and advocate for their correction.

In the importance of education. We believe that people are not truly educated unless they have studied at least the world's major religions and ethical systems. They need to learn of the good and bad impacts they have had on society. 4

Footnotes, mainly about exceptions:

However, like the rest of North American society, we have not been able to reach a consensus about when human life, in the form of a spermatozoon and an ovum, becomes a human person deserving civil rights.

However we have not been able to reach a consensus about the age at which an individual should fully enjoy these freedoms. We also recognize that some of these freedoms should have limits. For example, we do not feel that, in most cases, parents should be allowed to let their children die if medical treatment will assure a cure. We do not feel that individuals should be free to advocate genocide or yell "fire" in a crowded theatre.

Exceptions are a handful of destructive cults which have had an overall negative effect.

They need to understand the religious sources that inspired Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, and Mother Teresa to commit their life to the alleviation of human suffering. But they also need to learn the shadow side of religion: how religious beliefs have contributed to hatred, intolerance, oppression, discrimination, as well as mass murders and genocides in such places as Nazi Germany, Bosnia, East Timor, Kosovo, Northern Ireland, the Middle East, Sudan and countless other countries.

Becoming a Jedi

Seeking the Path; Becoming a Jedi

1. Profess to yourself and proclaim your acknowledgment of being a Jedi. Follow the Jedi ideals and beliefs. You may hold other spiritual convictions along with being a Jedi and loyalty to both is attainable and encouraged, for your focus determines your reality.

2. Believe in the Force and its power, a Jedi is devoted to the Force, being committed to the ideals of a Jedi is a pervading tenet. A Jedi does not serve the dark side in any way, in thought or in deed. A Jedi acts in a righteous manner defining the principles of a true Jedi. Knowledge and a relationship will you develop with the Force, it resides within you, surrounds you and flows through you.

3. Accept the Jedi teachings that were professed by all Jedi Masters, as their teachings give a spiritual guidance to all Jedi. The melding of the different faiths give the Jedi the direction, knowledge and wisdom that aid in life’s journey.

4. Learn from other Jedi and unlearn what you have learned. The knowledge and support of other Jedi increases your own knowledge and awareness of the Force. Fellowship is conductive to the learning process of becoming a Jedi, a process that never has an end . 5. Profess to be a Jedi if you will, but take heart be not boastful or prideful in your abilities and in your talents as you journey along your path.

The Jedi Oath

"I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I, (state your legal name) born on (date of birth), without reservation, choose the Jedi path, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force and its will. I vow to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to henceforth devote myself to the life of a Jedi."

Note*  Special Thanks to ReligiousTolerance.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 5:03AM #9
Br.John.Henry
Well xenophobeWASO at least your hostile to all religions in general.  Their are certainly con artists in all religions but that does not mean there are not sincere people too.  Religion should be fun and organic.  Living, growing and not some stale dead dogma.  Life is change.  A religion based on tolerance and education can be a source of great good.

May The Force Be With You.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 5:18AM #10
Br.John.Henry
[QUOTE=Unknownsoul;137588]They don't. The internet is very powerful at annoying people. Proof- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon  and the leekspin AMV.[/QUOTE]

Wikipedia is wrong.  I'm sure many put Jedi on the census form as a Joke but that does not mean there are not real Jedi or that Jediism is a fictitious religion.  Compared to Scientology we're downright dowdy.  Our name is new but our core beliefs are ancient.

Google Jediism and you'll see some sincere organizations.  Jediism already has different denominations.  Our members using only our credentials can conduct marriages anywhere in the United States just like any other minister, priest or rabbi.  We are tax exempt under the IRS code 501(c)3 just like the Catholic Church or the Baptist Church.

Any religion you do not believe in is by definition a fictional religion to you but that does not make it a fictional religion / church like http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook