Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 11:28PM #1
grampawombat
Though I consider myself a theist, I have great respect for the philosophical position of those who think of themselves as agnostics. There was an entire board available to them on the old Beliefnet, but alas that is no longer the case. Are there any of those folks around?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 1:01PM #2
Nightowl35
Hi Grampawombat. I consider myself Agnostic and was also wondering where those boards had gone to.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 11:22PM #3
aylmer_j
Assuming the agnostics are timid fence-sitters, this is their way (the elusive "they") of inducing us to pick a side in the upcoming Ultimate Battle! Who shall we choose? (My money is on the atheists, although there's a compelling case coming from the Wiccan camp--evidently they have spells to summon us to their side by force).
...reckon I'm onto something?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 11:24PM #4
aylmer_j
Please ignore my idiocy. I was really just posting that to see whether 10 posts would get me a Level 3 status (it did).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 9:09AM #5
Nightowl35
Well, how does it feel to be level 3? :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 12:23PM #6
grampawombat
It looks like I found at least one agnostic and two people with a sense of humor. The foregoing exchange reminds me of a conversation from about fifty years ago, when I was a PFC jeep driver in the Field Artillery. It went like this:

Col. Stevens (battalion commander and a lifer if there ever was one) Well Lt. Poscover, how does it feel to be promoted to 1st Lt?

Lt. Poscover (a reservist and well-known [to us GIs anyway] iconoclast) Mad with power, sir!

Maybe you had to be there so see the humor in this, but I hope not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 11:39AM #7
Pfred
[QUOTE=grampawombat;54109]... Well Lt. Poscover, how does it feel to be promoted to 1st Lt? ...[/QUOTE]
I am not familiar with the ranks, so I don't get it.  I am assuming there is virtually no difference between 1st Lt. and his previous rank.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 11:39AM #8
Pfred
[QUOTE=grampawombat;54109]... Well Lt. Poscover, how does it feel to be promoted to 1st Lt? ...[/QUOTE]
I am not familiar with the ranks, so I don't get it.  I am assuming there is virtually no difference between 1st Lt. and his previous rank.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 5:05PM #9
grampawombat
And the higher they go, the ranker they get (another GI expression). There isn't much difference. Most of the college ROTC officers got promoted from 2nd Lt. to 1st Lt. after about two years. Then when they had completed their three year obligation they returned to civilian life, just as we GIs (which I use as shorthand for enlisted personnel) did after two years (for draftees) or perhaps longer for others. As the years went by, I doubt that it mattered at all. Hence, the relevance of Poscover's comment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 5:13PM #10
grampawombat
But I digress. The point that I would like to emphasize about agnostics is that for most of them (at least as I have observed) the emphasis in on the philosophical position that such things as the existence of a deity or deities is not something susceptible to proof. And in particular it is not a question of being able to make up ones mind. So most of the snide comments directed toward agnostics are completely irrelevant and inappropriate.

And why should I, an acknowledged theist, defend the integrity of their position? Because I think there is great wisdom in it. I take a different tack in that I conceive of a "deity" (and perhaps that word is not even appropriate in my case) that, if discovered, will be a great dissappointment to most folks of a theistic bent. So my position may not be too far from theirs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook