Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  May 22, 2008 - 9:06PM #41
BillThinks4Himself
[QUOTE=ProfitOfGod;514461]Every parent of a young Mormon or future Mormon should copy and save all of Bill's posts.

I've got some catching up to do! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind word but beware.  You may not feel that way about all of my posts.  Some have found them an excellent cure for insomnia. :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 5:30PM #42
alexlds
Nothing to stop you attending any ward you want whenever you want - but remember that we were asked in a 1st Presidency letter that we should normally attend the ward where we live. Unless special circumstances are accepted and  authorised by Stake Pres or higher your records will not be transferred to a different ward and so you cant hold a calling there until they are transferred. Running away from a problem to avoid having to face up to it is not always the best thing to do
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 5:30PM #43
alexlds
Nothing to stop you attending any ward you want whenever you want - but remember that we were asked in a 1st Presidency letter that we should normally attend the ward where we live. Unless special circumstances are accepted and  authorised by Stake Pres or higher your records will not be transferred to a different ward and so you cant hold a calling there until they are transferred. Running away from a problem to avoid having to face up to it is not always the best thing to do
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2008 - 2:11PM #44
ProfitOfGod
[QUOTE=alexlds;566860]Nothing to stop you attending any ward you want whenever you want - but remember that we were asked in a 1st Presidency letter that we should normally attend the ward where we live. Unless special circumstances are accepted and  authorised by Stake Pres or higher your records will not be transferred to a different ward and so you cant hold a calling there until they are transferred. Running away from a problem to avoid having to face up to it is not always the best thing to do[/QUOTE]
Neither is being held hostage against one's supposedly free will.  ha

I don't need or want a calling, so I wouldn't care if I 'couldn't' hold one.  Some people see it as being denied a blessing, but there are many of us who see it as being able to avoid the hassle.  There are people who like hassles and people who don't...I'm in the latter group. 

Regardless of what the 'First Presidency' might decree, this is still America.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2008 - 5:17PM #45
alexlds
[QUOTE=ProfitOfGod;568728]Neither is being held hostage against one's supposedly free will.  ha

I don't need or want a calling, so I wouldn't care if I 'couldn't' hold one.  Some people see it as being denied a blessing, but there are many of us who see it as being able to avoid the hassle.  There are people who like hassles and people who don't...I'm in the latter group. 

Regardless of what the 'First Presidency' might decree, this is still America.[/QUOTE]
I agree that anyone that desires to be called as Bishop or whatever for status reasons has lost the plot and wants their head testing (or boiling). My own experience has been that if I am able to "get into" a calling it is usually an opportunity for personal growth. But I have not always been to achieve that. The Lord knows if we have a willing and humble heart. but he is still willing to work with us if we havnt.

It is all too easy to say if I cant do the right thing for the right reason then why bother as it is a waste of his time and ours if we are not in that state. Sometimes we cant always get immediately to the stage of doing what is right for the right reasons without first working through the stage of simply doing what is right because we believe it is the right thing to do -  even though we dont feel very inspired about it. On those occasions when I really have been doing stuff for the right reasons (compassion, concern, love for the Lord etc) I have really felt his guidance and presence. How knoweth a man the master who he has not served etc etc   

t ehat is    wants to be called
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 9:35AM #46
Gigctr
I basically understand all the guidelines and geographic assignment to a ward, but I must admit when my husband was transferred to a coastal city, we felt limited where we could buy a home because of the ward we would be assigned to.  Where we wanted to live the building was old, dark, and smelly, so we looked in an area farther from his work and beaches, and the city center where the building was new, and I will admit, better schools for the child still at home.  What happened...we wound up not moving at all and reversing the transfer.  We did attend church at the ward where we wanted live and found it depressing in many respects while house hunting including almost no youth in the ward, which was not good when you have a teenager at home.  I guess we would have just taken a deep breath and infused ourselves into that ward had we bought there and would have been blessed for our "obedience,"  but it was frustrating to have this consideration imposed on me while house hunting.  It's not such a big deal when you live in heavily populated LDS areas, but out in the mission field, it really can be a huge factor in your life and differences between wards and branches can be huge.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 9:35AM #47
Gigctr
I basically understand all the guidelines and geographic assignment to a ward, but I must admit when my husband was transferred to a coastal city, we felt limited where we could buy a home because of the ward we would be assigned to.  Where we wanted to live the building was old, dark, and smelly, so we looked in an area farther from his work and beaches, and the city center where the building was new, and I will admit, better schools for the child still at home.  What happened...we wound up not moving at all and reversing the transfer.  We did attend church at the ward where we wanted live and found it depressing in many respects while house hunting including almost no youth in the ward, which was not good when you have a teenager at home.  I guess we would have just taken a deep breath and infused ourselves into that ward had we bought there and would have been blessed for our "obedience,"  but it was frustrating to have this consideration imposed on me while house hunting.  It's not such a big deal when you live in heavily populated LDS areas, but out in the mission field, it really can be a huge factor in your life and differences between wards and branches can be huge.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 4:44PM #48
moksha8088
Gigctr, welcome to the forum. :)
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 5:34PM #49
bytebear

Gigctr wrote:

That is so true, but hopefully membership is growing which can make a ward in the field so much more dynamic.  I have lived in areas where within 5 years the ward split 3 times and another where we went from a phase 1 building to a completed structure.  I know here in California I see new buildings popping up all over.  One building has two chapels to accommodate 6+ wards in the same building.  I personally grew up in a ward with only one other semi-active boy and about 20 girls, so my friendships were limited.  It was a Utah ward so it was stable, and nothing really changed in all the time I was there.  Everyone had lived there for decades if not generations. 

In California you could choose your ward based on geography, but when I was back East, you would have to move three towns over to escape the ward boundaries, and move to another state to escape the stake.  I lived in some pretty crazy wards too, but after a while, the people went from loony to merely eccentric, and you ended up making them a part of your family, just like crazy aunt Matilda, the cat lady.  You don;t really want to associate with them, but you can't imagine a family reunion without them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 10:55PM #50
MMCSFOX
I just have a few questions that don’t seem to have been answered here regarding families that exercise their options to go to a Ward other than the one where their records are held.

1. Whose responsibility is it to assign home and visiting teachers to this family?

2. If home and visiting teachers are assigned who do they report back to about the needs of that family?

3. If the home teacher reports that the family is in any need at all, which Bishop can respond to that need?

4. Can this family have the missionaries in the Ward they visit come to dinner if they are out of their district?

5. If there are children, at which place do they have their friends? Is it in the Ward they visit which is not in the same school boundaries as the area they live in or vice-versa?

6. Can the Bishop of the Ward this family visits assign these members some ward duties or responsibilities?

7. Can the Elders Quorum President assign this person to be a home teacher or even just teach a lesson when he has no leadership responsibilities over this person?

8. How does a Bishop give a recommend to someone he does not know? Should he just take a person’s word that I am a nice person?

9. If these members are unwilling or unable to give of their time and effort in the Ward they visit because the Bishop has no responsibility for this family, then why should they be granted a recommend?

10.  Hmmm, this just may be an easy way to get out of any future callings. I will think about this for a minute or so.

Jesse F.
"Activity is the soul of spirituality."
--Harold B. Lee
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook