Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 11:26AM #51
ProfitOfGod
[QUOTE=Gigctr;597866]I basically understand all the guidelines and geographic assignment to a ward, but I must admit when my husband was transferred to a coastal city, we felt limited where we could buy a home because of the ward we would be assigned to.  Where we wanted to live the building was old, dark, and smelly, so we looked in an area farther from his work and beaches, and the city center where the building was new, and I will admit, better schools for the child still at home.  What happened...we wound up not moving at all and reversing the transfer.  We did attend church at the ward where we wanted live and found it depressing in many respects while house hunting including almost no youth in the ward, which was not good when you have a teenager at home.  I guess we would have just taken a deep breath and infused ourselves into that ward had we bought there and would have been blessed for our "obedience,"  but it was frustrating to have this consideration imposed on me while house hunting.  It's not such a big deal when you live in heavily populated LDS areas, but out in the mission field, it really can be a huge factor in your life and differences between wards and branches can be huge.[/QUOTE]
You're human.

I would think having your kids in good schools would take priority over commuting distances to work or church. 

That's just my take, though...I hope it works out for your family.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 11:52AM #52
ProfitOfGod
[QUOTE=bytebear;598908]In California you could choose your ward based on geography, but when I was back East, you would have to move three towns over to escape the ward boundaries, and move to another state to escape the stake.  I lived in some pretty crazy wards too, but after a while, the people went from loony to merely eccentric, and you ended up making them a part of your family, just like crazy aunt Matilda, the cat lady.  You don;t really want to associate with them, but you can't imagine a family reunion without them.[/QUOTE]
If I still lived on the east coast, it's entirely possible that I'd still be an active member. 

Not that you guys lost much in losing me. hehe
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 2:02PM #53
BillThinks4Himself
[QUOTE=ProfitOfGod;605835]If I still lived on the east coast, it's entirely possible that I'd still be an active member.  Not that you guys lost much in losing me. hehe[/QUOTE]

You'd be missed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2008 - 4:17PM #54
JosephsawGod&Christ
Yes, I agree with Bytebear...
This is a common concern among relationship issues.
Remember the church is there to help the family; not the other way around. 
For those just reading, keep tuned in for the next general conference coming up the 1st week in April, where a new prophet Thomas S. Monson, and apostle will be sustained.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook