Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Another one of my curious questions
6 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 8:59AM #1
snoogins03
For the Satanists and non-Satanists...

1. Do you have any problems with Satanism? Anything said or done that you don't agree with?

2. If so, why do you disagree?

3. Anything you really really like?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 10:34PM #2
devilsadvocate666

1. Do you have any problems with Satanism? Anything said or done that you don't agree with?

My problems with variants of Satanism stem back to implementation and rhetoric.  Some folks use Satanism as an excuse to act utterly irresponsible with their lives and do practically whatever they wish, without being able or even willing to step up and take the consequences.  This being said, this is by no means the majority of intelligent Satanists I've met.  This is more of the reactionary types who simply are looking for another way to call themselves overly nihilistic hedonists, and coming from me, it takes quite a bit to get like that. 

As for rhetoric, this is largely a jab at the anti-everything that isn't Satanism crowd.  Usually, its more or less someone who is stuck on the term, "white lighter" and uses it reflexively to insult or demean Christians, easier going folks like myself, (though I'm not always easy going, in fact that's a relative rarity believe it or not), Pagans, etc.  It's tired, its cliche, and its overly and pointlessly antagonistic.  It's one thing to be skeptical, to challenge traditional authority, but to be an adversary to anything and everything just for the sake of being so is pointless.

As above, but must include that many self-professed Satanists tend to go the way of the herd, usually by getting stuck on the prior mentioned points.  If anything, it is the overly reactive herd mentality that irritates me, just like people walking around in Che shirts, going on about "freedom", despite never having studied even briefly the historical aims of communism in Latin America.

The strong sense of individualism and personal responsibility and accountibility.  Those are practically the backbone elements of everything positive within the philosophical confines of Satanism.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2007 - 11:29PM #3
SatanicStalker

With my own personal Satanism, no. I decided long ago that I saw no purpose in accepting or supporting a belief or practice that I did not agree with for the sake of having a "complete set." I'm a spiritually solitary person. I don't mean that I'm not spiritually enriched by others, I am, but rather I mean that I don't need a group of like-minded individuals to feel fully empowered or right. In fact, when in the past I have tried it I've found it mostly distracting.

Satanism as a whole, yes. I dislike the implication that Satanism is just a reaction to Christianity, and the implication that it's only purpose is to stand as a counterweight to the Abrahamic religions. I dislike the fact that I can never tell someone what my religion is casually, it is always a careful decision done in a carefully controlled environment with a rehearsed explanation, which gets tiring. I dislike the people who claim Satanism only as a rebellion, and who give Satanists the reputation of being a bunch of immature attention-seekers.

Yes, obviously, or I wouldn't be a Satanist. I wouldn't have chosen to identify as a Satanist if I hadn't judged Satanism to be the best fit both of who I am and of who I want to be. The most important aspect of Satanism to be is the concept of self authority. I am my own. I have the power, the right, and the responsibility to make myself and my world into exactly what I want them to be. I have the right to make my own choices, and I take full responsibility for them, both the positive and the negative. I do not have to wait for another being to decide purpose for my life, I can create my own purpose. I have the ability to judge every situation on its own merits and decide the best thing based on that, rather than on a list of hard and often outdated rules with little or no room for consideration.  It makes me feel powerful, important, and thus far it has made me quite successful. I'm nowhere near my ultimate goal, this I know, but I am well on my path.

~Stalker

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 2:44PM #4
Maugrim
Offhand, no, there is nothing actually in Satanism that I object to.

Rather, like others have said, I disagree with how some people interpret and practice Satanism. Some people are too left-wing and loosey-goosey for my taste. Others are too right-wing and over-the-top fascistic. Some are too trusting or tolerant of other religions and/or adherents of other religions, and others are too reflexively angry, dismissive, hateful, and intolerant.

As Devilsadvocate has rightly noted, some teenyboppers and twits do try to use Satanism as an excuse to be irresponsible and obnoxious. It just makes the rest of us look bad.

I don't like how many first-phasers and dabblers are obsessed with Christianity. Hearing anyone go on and on about one obsessive pet peeve is always annoying. Needless to say, these types flip out when they find out that I actually don't mind Christianity and/or Christians that much, and actually enjoy studying theology.

Of course, I hate it when people assume I am just rebelling against society or Christianity. (Interestingly, most career rebels and devoted anarchists consider me a "square.") There are actually scores of assumptions I hate, so this is just the tip of the iceberg. This is why I try to come out to as few people as possible.

What do I like? Oh, well. The idea that one is in charge of one's own destiny, feelings, life, and preferences, for sure. The rejection of feel-good egalitarianism and false senses of equality. The no-holds-barred rejection of idiotic and inexcusably criminal behaviors. The celebration and validation of good aesthetics. The idea that one can utilize archetypes for one's emotional and instinctual gratification. The list goes on.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 9:01PM #5
Christ07
[QUOTE=snoogins03;35374]For the Satanists and non-Satanists...

It's name. La vey succedded with that part!

Cuz I hate satan!

When I found out you guys don't worship Satan!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2007 - 9:46AM #6
Maugrim
Awww, Christ, that's a rather sparse response, isn't it? :)

Incidentally, (and this is a somewhat random musing) I've noticed that people actually agree with most of my views when I state them without calling them "Satanism." The main thing people get twitchy about is stratification, with "doing into others AS they do unto you" in second place.

So, the name really does make a difference--but, in some sense, that's the point. The name is indeed partly for shock value, but it's also to prove that people react powerfully and knee-jerkedly to certain words and concepts, without being willing or able to dive deeper into them.

And, of course, Satanism does have a spin on things that is contrary to and different from the usual perspective, so it is an adversary and an opposer in that very real sense.

Thoughts?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2007 - 9:07PM #7
Christ07
[QUOTE=Maugrim;109645]Awww, Christ, that's a rather sparse response, isn't it? :)

Incidentally, (and this is a somewhat random musing) I've noticed that people actually agree with most of my views when I state them without calling them "Satanism." The main thing people get twitchy about is stratification, with "doing into others AS they do unto you" in second place.

So, the name really does make a difference--but, in some sense, that's the point. The name is indeed partly for shock value, but it's also to prove that people react powerfully and knee-jerkedly to certain words and concepts, without being willing or able to dive deeper into them.

And, of course, Satanism does have a spin on things that is contrary to and different from the usual perspective, so it is an adversary and an opposer in that very real sense.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree with much of it too, except the do unto others as they do unto you, but I have a problem of doing it and liking it sometimes, but afterwards I feel bad,  so I wouldn't be cut out for Satanism, i actually have a pretty soft heart. Not saying all Satanists are hard hearted either, I actually came to like quite a few of you guys. And I've always heard the saying, you can trust and rely on noone in this world but yourself, and it's pretty true, except for the fact your own self and ego can be your worst enemy at times.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 12:22AM #8
Maugrim
Actually, I can be rather soft-hearted myself, if you can believe it. The key is to not be soft-brained or soft-spined on top of it. That is, be empathic, be kind, but don't be naiive, don't be fearful, don't be weak, don't tolerate or invite B.S. So, strength and kindness can come in the same package, potentially.

As for trust, in some sense, it is true that you're the one you have the most immediate and direct influence over, and there are certain things that a person can only do for himself. But, there are certainly a few special people whom I trust, so I'm not a total lone wolf by any means.

The self/ego can be an enemy, depending on how you approach things, and what type of self you've cultivated and/or allowed to be cultivated. But, if you're wise, happy, insightful, eager to learn, and self-honest, the self can be a wonderful friend, and the ego can be healthy and strong, instead of shriveled and sickly, or bloated and overbearing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 1:57AM #9
Genocon

snoogins03 wrote:

Not necessarily with any particular form, but with the way that certain forms are often carried out. Basically the jerks who use Satanism/Luciferianism in as an excuse for racist, sexist, homophobic or other divisive and violent ideas. But then again, I have problems with anyone who uses any religion for to foment those beliefs. Also, I find the sexist and homophobic tendencies of LaVeyan Satanism rather off-putting.

Considering I'm queer and posess a vagina, I have a rather personal stake in such beliefs.

The flexibility and individuality. I believe that we all have our own unique religion, even when it comes to two people of the same sect of the same religion, so any religion that acknowledges that fact and allows for the personalization of religion gets a thumbs-up in my book.

(Oh, I used to be AdNoctum. Hi to devilsadvocate and anyone else who remembers me. :))

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 9:18AM #10
snoogins03
I'm fairly tender-hearted as well (save for the occasional horomonal hate spree every few weeks). Even if someone is mean to me, I will still be nice to them. No, not because I believe in the golden rule, but because that pisses people off MORE and I think it's kind of funny...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook