Switch to Forum Live View Quote from Essentials of Faith
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 3:00PM #1
Gerald_ford
Although there are many important doctrines concerning the nembutsu, they can be summarized in the preceding way. Some people who read this will surely ridicule it. Nevertheless, both belief and slander will become a cause for each one’s birth in the Pure Land. With the pledges of friendship in this life - brief as a dream - to guide us, we tie the bonds for meeting before enlightenment in the coming life. If I am behind, I will be guided by others; If I go first, I will guide others. Becoming true friends through many lives, we bring each other to the practice of the Buddha-way, and as true teachers in each life, we will together sunder all delusion and attachment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 11:21PM #2
logophilios
That is a very nice, bodhisattva-like sentiment - thanks for sharing, Gerald.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 10:49PM #3
Gerald_ford
[QUOTE=logophilios;34824]That is a very nice, bodhisattva-like sentiment - thanks for sharing, Gerald.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem.  Glad you enjoyed it.  :)  Sometimes we get so caught up in the intellectual side of Buddhism we forget that we're all in this together.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 9:02AM #4
tpandrews
This reminds me of something that I've been known to say when trying to quickly sum up the bodhisattva path to non-buddhist freinds which is: "None of us are saved until all of us are saved."
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook