Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Why no liberal Jewish testimonials?
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 4:07PM #21
mlarue75
[QUOTE=trekkieterp;178299]You can walk into any synagogue in the country, and they'll all be chanting the same prayers, singing the same songs.  The melodies may be the same, they may be different . . . sometimes only a few notes are different.  But you walk in, you sit down, you know what's going to happen.  The same thing happened in Israel.  We attended services somewhere -- I think it was at Hebrew University, and it might have been a conservative service -- and even though it was in a different country, it was still the same stuff!
QUOTE]

Why thank you!  I thought this thread was over.  I have realized that there's no one answer for my kids, that it's an ongoing thing, and that all of us teachers are trying, in our own way, to get them to appreciate the culture and religion, and the land of Israel. 

Funny about what you said, that the service everywhere is basically the same.  The Catholics look at us with envy.  They threw out Latin in the 1960s, and whereas it's great in one sense to worship in the vernacular, something very important was lost. 

I welcome the recent (last 20 years?) trend back towards Hebrew in the Reform service.  I just wish more people knew what was going on.  I only get half of it and wonder what it's like for my Israeli friends who understand everything.  I could sing the serivce music all day long, when I know what I'm singing.  I can't stand it when people mumble the words as though they meant nothing at all. I guess to some of them, they do mean nothing at all.

BTW, did you see the UTube video of Leonard Nimoy saying how he got the hand signal for "Live long and prosper?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 7:17PM #22
trekkieterp
[QUOTE=mlarue75;179424]BTW, did you see the UTube video of Leonard Nimoy saying how he got the hand signal for "Live long and prosper?"[/QUOTE]

Actually, I heard his story years ago.  Leonard Nimoy came to my home town eight or ten years ago to give a lecture at my synagogue; I think I was in high school at the time.  I didn't have the opportunity to attend the lecture (and I'd not yet seen my first episode of Star Trek, so I really didn't realize who he was anyways), but I heard the story retold in one of my Hebrew High classes.  I didn't get into Star Trek until I was in college, though.  :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 8:42AM #23
Bunsinspace
BS"D

ml75,

I taught day school to teenagers at various synagogues for a brief time.  Getting teens excited about Judaism involves engaging their minds.  I had the most success when I was able to tap into behaviors and thoughts that were foremost in their minds - whether it was a current event, a social phenomenon, or a particular fad.  (kind of like a Bnet thread :D)  This served as a foundation upon which I could build in real time illustrating Jewish perspectives and exposing their minds to a variety of Jewish sources.  So even if they came away with NO knowledge, they at the very least had the ability to research questions on their own and knew where to look and whom to ask in the community and throughout k'lal yisroel worldwide.;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook