Switch to Forum Live View Happy St. Servetus Day!
7 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 9:11AM #1
smcisaac
Today, October 27, is a day to celebrate freedom of conscience in spiritual matters. On this day in 1553, the theologian Michael Servetus was burned at the stake for heresy by Geneva under the guidance of John Calvin, with all the known copies of his writings chained to his leg. (Calvin had requested that he be mercifully beheaded, but the Council of Geneva insisted upon burning.) Faithful to the last, his dying words were, "O Jesus, Son of the Eternal God, have mercy on me."

By the light of burning heretics Christ's bleeding feet I track,
Toiling up new Calvaries ever with the cross that turns not back,
And these mounts of anguish number how each generation learned
One new word of that grand [I]Credo which in prophet-hearts hath burned [/I]
Since the first man stood God-conquered with his face to heaven upturned.

For Humanity sweeps onward: where today the martyr stands,
On the morrow, crouches Judas with the silver in his hands;
Far in front the cross stands ready and the crackling fagots burn,
While the hooting mob of yesterday in silent awe return
To glean up the scattered ashes into History's golden urn.

--James Russell Lowell
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way."  Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

"Christ will regenerate all things; through Him all things will be purged, and return into eternal life. And when the Son shall deliver up the kingdom to the Father, all things will be God; that is, all things will still exist, but God will exist in them, and they will be full of Him." Fabius Manus Victorinus, c. 350 AD
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 11:43PM #2
grampawombat
I have enjoyed your posts from the old Progressive Christianity boards, and I am glad to find you here as well. As a member of a Presbyterian church, I feel shame at the way Michael Servetus was treated by my religious forbears. But as a unitarian by conviction I agree that he is one of the saints.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook