Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: What is your definition of seidh?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 12:47AM #11
John_T_Mainer
My understanding of seidh was that it was Shamanic magic.  Different from the Runelore of the Aesir which more hermetic, the seidir was old magic.  The stuff of vision and totem, of dance and ordeal. 

If the Aesir and their runelore is considered to be spiritual/intellectual in nature, seidh was of the Vanir and more spiritual/instinctual.  The seidh was also more strongly associated with women.

You will understand that this is drawn from references offhand in the sagas.  It is clear that the skalds and their audiences were expected to understand this thing that they clearly did not openly speak of.  One of the great annoyances of our modern age, is the references to these things that one was expected to know are a lot more common than the descriptions of the things themselves.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 11:41PM #12
Brønwyn
Hi Maurice,

Aedgisl wrote:

So, as I would still like to come up with a nice definition of seidh, what is yours?

Right off the top of my head, and with the least amount of words, I think it's -- trance work of the nine worlds.

I don't know why but I see the word "seidh" and "seething" together. I'm not saying that they are, but it's just what I'm quickly seeing -- going into trance, first and foremost.

What sort of definitions did you enjoy hearing the most?

Bronwyn

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 12:12PM #13
Brønwyn
I'll see if this works....

Seidr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 12:20PM #14
Brønwyn
Sylky, thanks for the link, BTW. ;) I look forward to reading it....maybe later today.
Bron
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 10:21PM #15
Brønwyn
I like what Drknss said.

Scratch the "seething" thing I said. I must've been picking that up in the air waves.

I read that the word "seething" doesn't apply.

Bron
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 1:06AM #16
Brønwyn

Drknss wrote:

You probably picked it up from someone who's read Jan Fries "Seidways". He/She? says that Seidr means Seething.

Hm, well, but I really did just pick it up from the air waves, so the idea of it being so...must be something that's "out there".

It's been disputed but from my understanding. No one can completely rule the connection out. Though I think Thorsson tried or did.

Yes, I did read what Thorsson said about it, that the word "seethe" in Old Norse would be "sjoda", so it couldn't possibly have meant "seidh".

The important thing that I think it means, first and foremost, is trancing.

HOW one does their trance, and at different given times, is probably a whole list of more things to say...

but I think the idea of Seidh is.... someone is going into the "other reality" and able to work there in whatever way they're suppose to, or can.

It's difficult to determine the exact description from a word that apparently has no etymological substance, only lore of circumstances.

thanks Drknss :)
Bronwyn

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook