Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 9:54PM #1
HinduGuy
Sometimes I see that in mixed marriages it is usually the Hindu who gives up his or her faith, this happens especially when the partner is a christian or muslim. Hinduism is a liberal, democratic faith. Hindus believe that all paths lead to the same God, so to them it may feel like changing faiths would not make much difference. I beg to differ. One of the biggest casualities of this kind of thinking is the loss of hindu values. An example:

It is said that Mother Teresa would convert dying people without their knowledge because, the poor woman, thought that if they died without being christian, her "god" wouldn't allow them into heaven. And then there is that famous scene in "Gandhi", where Gandhiji implores a hindu to bring up a muslim boy but make sure the boy grows up a muslim! Now, wasn't Gandhi afraid that the boy would not be allowed into hindu heaven? Not at all, because our values differ. Lord Rama invites all good people into his heaven not just hindus! All good living things, animals, people, even atheists are welcomed! Now aren't these better values than a narrow thinking that says god runs a segregated heaven where only certain members are allowed in? The christian God runs a christian heaven whereas the muslim god runs a muslim heaven. These "gods" are for their memebers only, whereas the Hindu concept of God is a God for all!

Other values include respecting all faiths, the only major religion to bow to a female figure of God, liberal values etc. The other day I was on a forum protesting the depiction of hinduism on a TV show and this christian chimed in saying that his faith doesn't allow him to praise another faith, but of course, they can abuse and mock it all they please. I replied that my faith taught me the opposite, I can joke about my hinduism but am asked to respect other faiths! It is a fact that a lot of hindus who have converted to other faiths, have been encouraged to mock their former faith and have done so. Can anyone think of one person who had converted to hindusm and turned around and mocked his former faith? Not one!

Let's encourage and preach these values. It's my belief that the world would be a better place if it was a hindu or budhist world.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:38PM #2
misfit08
I quite agree. this is part of the reason i am thinking of converting to hinduism. christianity is very narrow-minded, and in some ways, corrupted. i've always been  interested in buddhism, but as i see it, they don't really believe in a god & i need that, but hinduism seems very similar and do believe in god(s), am i right? i feel that "god" is just a name, it shouldn't matter by what name you use as long as some principle "being greater than us" is there, so i think it might fit
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 8:38PM #3
misfit08
I quite agree. this is part of the reason i am thinking of converting to hinduism. christianity is very narrow-minded, and in some ways, corrupted. i've always been  interested in buddhism, but as i see it, they don't really believe in a god & i need that, but hinduism seems very similar and do believe in god(s), am i right? i feel that "god" is just a name, it shouldn't matter by what name you use as long as some principle "being greater than us" is there, so i think it might fit
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 5:26PM #4
Jm8
misfit08,

in Mahayana/PureLand Buddhism eternal Buddhas are understood pretty much the same way as in Vaishnava teachings, i.e. as forms of Vishnu, and worshiped by Vaishnavas and Mahayana Buddhists side by side. Good examples are Svayambhunath or Muktinath mandirs in Nepal. More info on any of these terms is in Wikipedia.

Hope this helps. Hare Krishna

"This Krishna Consciousness is a science to understand what is the difference between a dead body and a living body". (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Your servant, bh. Jan

http://www.vrindavan-dham.com
http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 8:06PM #5
HinduGuy
Misfit08:

It is your values that will make you a hindu, no conversion is necessary. A God who welcomes atheists into his heaven doesn't really care if you had undergone a conversion ceremony. But the conversion ceremony is a ritual and rituals are important to human beings. It helps us connect to our feelings. By all means go thru a conversion ceremony, but please adhere to our values.

Ours is a democratic, liberal & tolerant faith. We are taught to respect all faiths, so once you become a hindu please do not speak ill about your former faith. Faiths are like rivers flowing into the same ocean, God. It is this respect for other views that makes our faith a tolerant and liberal faith. God is male and is also female. She appears to us in various forms. So, no there are no multiple gods, there is just one.

Also I believe that each faith is right, hence christians and muslims get just one life, but others like hindus, who believe in reincarnation, get multiple. Each life is an opportunity to learn the Lord's teachings.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 8:10PM #6
HinduGuy
Jm8:

you seem to be a Iskcon guy, am I right? I heard sometime ago that Krishna's don't want to be called hindus. Krishna is seperate from our other Hindu Gods. Is that correct? I was so disappointed. One of the beautiful things about hinduism is our inclusiveness. Ours is a inclusive faith, not exclusive. You could walk down the street and see several churches each catering to its own flock. They have "our" churches and "their" churches. For hindus it's only "our" temples, there are no "their" temples! Unfortunately converts from christianity seems to have brought their exclusive mentality to hinduism.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2007 - 3:03AM #7
Jm8
HinduGuy,

1. I don't like to use the word 'guy' for spiritual aspirants and prefer not be called like that myself. You can call me Jan or bhakta Jan. Thanks in advance.
2. I don't speak on behalf of ISKCON but of Vaishnava tradition. ISKCON is a Vaishnava (Gaudiya V.) group. That's all. No need for banners.

From what you write I can see that you don't know the sastra. There are no 'Hindu Gods'. The cosmic hierarchy of beings includes 'devas' which are known in many traditions, from Anglo-Saxon area to Japan. Thus they cannot be monopolized by any tradition. Krishna separates Himself from devas many times. Read the Gita. One of His unlimited names is Devadeva, lord of devas (BG 10.15, 11.13). Inclusiveness should be based on knowledge, not imaginary sameness of various Vedic traditions. This mistake stems from Advaita and leads to a dilution of sanatana dharma (in the original sense of meaning as eternal dharma of every living being).
This has nothing to do with conversions from Christianity or any other tradition. I've explained these things repeatedly on old Beliefnet and our site has more info.

Hope this helps. Hare Krishna

"This Krishna Consciousness is a science to understand what is the difference between a dead body and a living body". (A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Your servant, bh. Jan

http://www.vrindavan-dham.com
http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 7:07PM #8
misfit08
Hinduguy,
what I meant by "conversion" is that I don't want to just jump right in.  I want to learn all I can about Hinduism before I make my decision.  So far, it seems like it might be the one for me, as I agree with a lot of the beliefs, however, I wouldn't call myself Hindu yet because I am still learning.
Thank you for the information about the god(s)(I really don't know what to call it, since it's forms of the same thing), although I already knew that.  That's what I was saying about my belief about god:I don't believe that it should matter what you call god, or how you see him/her, but the idea of god that matters.  So yes, I believe that there are forms of one god he/she is all-powerful, right?  So he/she could take any form that he/she wanted, it doesn't have to be the same thing.
Also, that is an interesting way to look at it...so hindus would get multiple lives but others that don't believe in reincarnation wouldn't, according to your belief?
I feel like I sound like I'm arguing or something like that, but I really don't mean to, I'm just trying to get out what I meant before, and trying to ask questions.  Thank you for sharing what you have.

And to Jm8:
Thank you also for your information.  It just seemed to me that Buddhism didn't really have a god, that they just follow the Buddha's teachings, but apparently I took it the wrong way.  But that's okay, I often misunderstand things, and it's better that I am told the truth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 7:07PM #9
misfit08
Hinduguy,
what I meant by "conversion" is that I don't want to just jump right in.  I want to learn all I can about Hinduism before I make my decision.  So far, it seems like it might be the one for me, as I agree with a lot of the beliefs, however, I wouldn't call myself Hindu yet because I am still learning.
Thank you for the information about the god(s)(I really don't know what to call it, since it's forms of the same thing), although I already knew that.  That's what I was saying about my belief about god:I don't believe that it should matter what you call god, or how you see him/her, but the idea of god that matters.  So yes, I believe that there are forms of one god he/she is all-powerful, right?  So he/she could take any form that he/she wanted, it doesn't have to be the same thing.
Also, that is an interesting way to look at it...so hindus would get multiple lives but others that don't believe in reincarnation wouldn't, according to your belief?
I feel like I sound like I'm arguing or something like that, but I really don't mean to, I'm just trying to get out what I meant before, and trying to ask questions.  Thank you for sharing what you have.

And to Jm8:
Thank you also for your information.  It just seemed to me that Buddhism didn't really have a god, that they just follow the Buddha's teachings, but apparently I took it the wrong way.  But that's okay, I often misunderstand things, and it's better that I am told the truth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 11:17AM #10
Maya3
Misfit,
There is no rush to do anything, whenever you feel ready (or not) is fine.
I think you have great understanding of Hinduism and that God is just One but with many names or ways to look at him/her/it.

I'm not sure that I agree with Hindu guy that those  who don't believe in reincarnation only live once. It's not impossible I guess, but I still think that most of us come back again and again no matter our belief until we figure out that we are just part of one large  being.
I also think though that reincarnation may not be excactly as we think it is. It may not be that the soul goes from body to body, but I'm not really sure how to formulate my thoughts on this.

I thought too that Buddhism was more atheist.

Maya
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook