Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 5 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View My hijab, or my job?
10 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 11:02PM #41
Atsila
[QUOTE=newmuslimlady;323489]The word "adornment "is used in the much quoted scripture and is the key to understanding that a Muslim woman should wear the Hijab.  Adornment means Beauty and we Muslim women are suppose to cover it.  A woman's HAIR is Very Beautiful to Men, they love our hair and are very attracted to it.  Not just Muslim men but all men.   So it is a part of us that should be covered. 

Also wearing HIjab is good for Dawah.   Muslims are suppose to give Dawah, it is our responsibility to tell others about Islam.  Just the other day I was in J.C. Penney and a young lady who worked there came to me and asked if I was Muslim and had questions.  She was interested also in coming to a Masjid to find out more about our faith.  I gave her my phone number and she gave me hers.  Other people have asked me questions also.  I'm proud to be a Muslim and proud to be a Hijabi...[/QUOTE]

Adornment is the key word and can be interpreted many ways.  Hair is not an adornment, in my opinion.  It's just...hair.  Some may think it is beauty, others do not.  How about someones hands or their eyes?  I have gotten many more compliments on my eyes (for some reason) than I ever have about my hair.  Should I cover them up?  What is clear is that God commanded women to cover their breasts.  I can do that with a shirt.  Even not wearing hijab I have people asking me questions, so it's not the only way to start a conversation.  If so, then men would have to wear it too.  Also, I take the responsibility of telling others about islam differently.  I do not feel I need to go around like Mormons or Jehovah Witnesses and spread the word.  We do not have to do that.  However, when people respectfully ask, I try to answer questions, even though it gets old after awhile.  Just because someone doesn't wear hijab doesn't mean they aren't proud to be muslim (I'm not sure if you were implying that, but just clarifying).  Also, in reference to the other post, please be careful who you call hypocrite, as you are not God.

wassalam,
Atsila
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 11:35AM #42
newmuslimlady
[QUOTE=Atsila;323835]Adornment is the key word and can be interpreted many ways.  Hair is not an adornment, in my opinion.  It's just...hair.  Some may think it is beauty, others do not.  How about someones hands or their eyes?  I have gotten many more compliments on my eyes (for some reason) than I ever have about my hair.  Should I cover them up?  What is clear is that God commanded women to cover their breasts.  I can do that with a shirt.  Even not wearing hijab I have people asking me questions, so it's not the only way to start a conversation.  If so, then men would have to wear it too.  Also, I take the responsibility of telling others about islam differently.  I do not feel I need to go around like Mormons or Jehovah Witnesses and spread the word.  We do not have to do that.  However, when people respectfully ask, I try to answer questions, even though it gets old after awhile.  Just because someone doesn't wear hijab doesn't mean they aren't proud to be muslim (I'm not sure if you were implying that, but just clarifying).  Also, in reference to the other post, please be careful who you call hypocrite, as you are not God.

wassalam,
Atsila[/QUOTE]

My post was not directed to you Atsia.  Your opinion is yours and my opinion is mine.  I was only stating why I believe the scripture says you should cover your hair.  Even most people do realize that a woman's "hair" is indeed beautiful to men, even non-muslim women see this to be true. 

And I'd like to know who I called a hypocrite?  I'm not going to judge anyone as I do know that Allah(swt) is the only one who has the right to judge mankind.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 11:54AM #43
Atsila
[QUOTE=newmuslimlady;324769]My post was not directed to you Atsia.  Your opinion is yours and my opinion is mine.  I was only stating why I believe the scripture says you should cover your hair.  Even most people do realize that a woman's "hair" is indeed beautiful to men, even non-muslim women see this to be true. 

And I'd like to know who I called a hypocrite?  I'm not going to judge anyone as I do know that Allah(swt) is the only one who has the right to judge mankind.[/QUOTE]

I know your post wasn't directed at me; I was just stating my opinion.  I guess I am not most people and never have been.  When I was a non-muslim, I never saw or heard about people being so obsessed with hair.  It just wans't a big deal.  Or maybe I just wasn't ever worried about mine and never gave it a second thought.  But I still wonder if the definition of adornment is something that is considered beautiful, then why not cover high cheekbones or your eyes, hands, etc.  Thank God I have ugly feet.  I consider an adornment to be something that is added and hair isn't added, it's already there.  I think that some of these hijabs that people wear could be considered an adornment, since they are so fancy.  I mean a pashmina hijab?  And this is modesty?  Anyway, I wasn't speaking about you with that hypocrite comment, I was pointing out the post that was before yours.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

wassalam,
Atsila
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 12:10PM #44
newmuslimlady
[QUOTE=Atsila;324812]I know your post wasn't directed at me; I was just stating my opinion.  I guess I am not most people and never have been.  When I was a non-muslim, I never saw or heard about people being so obsessed with hair.  It just wans't a big deal.  Or maybe I just wasn't ever worried about mine and never gave it a second thought.  But I still wonder if the definition of adornment is something that is considered beautiful, then why not cover high cheekbones or your eyes, hands, etc.  Thank God I have ugly feet.  I consider an adornment to be something that is added and hair isn't added, it's already there.  I think that some of these hijabs that people wear could be considered an adornment, since they are so fancy.  I mean a pashmina hijab?  And this is modesty?  Anyway, I wasn't speaking about you with that hypocrite comment, I was pointing out the post that was before yours.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

wassalam,
Atsila[/QUOTE]

Allah(swt) knows we can't cover our eyes or else we couldn't see.  Some Muslim women do wear niqab so their cheeks, lips, etc. don't show.   I don't wear a niqab though but I don't wear make up either to make my face look better and attract more attention.  *You're right I feel about the women who wear Hijab and they are so fancy and brightly colored.  They are adornment which does attract more attention than if they weren't wearing a hijab at all.  Doesn't make much sense when you think about it and I've wondered why they haven't figured that out.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 12:54PM #45
Atsila
[QUOTE=newmuslimlady;324854]Allah(swt) knows we can't cover our eyes or else we couldn't see.  Some Muslim women do wear niqab so their cheeks, lips, etc. don't show.   I don't wear a niqab though but I don't wear make up either to make my face look better and attract more attention.  *You're right I feel about the women who wear Hijab and they are so fancy and brightly colored.  They are adornment which does attract more attention than if they weren't wearing a hijab at all.  Doesn't make much sense when you think about it and I've wondered why they haven't figured that out.[/QUOTE]

There are some women who do veil their faces, eyes and all, however I do not believe that this was asked by God of the general population of women.  My point being that if we had to cover any potentially beautiful object on our bodies, we would be walking around in tents.  I don't believe that God calls for that.  It's one reason I have a different take on the definition of adornment.  I do wear makeup and do not feel like I am being immodest or adorning myself.  I suppose each person needs to decide for themselves what is best. 

wassalam,
Atsila
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 8:55AM #46
faiz4you
When ever a hypocrit has been exposed his/her defence is either God or a twisted view of the quran.

Because they know in this lifetime God will not speak and neither the quran will defend itself against thier ranting.

Those Woman that Call thenselves muslims and then do not believe in the Hijab ayats mentioned in the Quran are nothing more then hypocrits,

The Quran is so Clear and precise on this issue that you cannot refute the truth, MUSLIM woman are ORDERED to wear HIJAB!!! and yet no hypocrit muslim has been able to refute this claim from the quran.

Quran says clearly you can be yourself infront of your close relatives such as your father, brothers, children, uncles, father in law. however other then this close net of men you are ordered to wear the HIJAB.

if you think this is not right then prove it from the Quran!!! otherwise i can say confidently you are a hypocrit.

to be a muslim woman you have to believe in what god has said and has ordered you to do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 2:05PM #47
newmuslimlady
[QUOTE=faiz4you;326639]When ever a hypocrit has been exposed his/her defence is either God or a twisted view of the quran.

Because they know in this lifetime God will not speak and neither the quran will defend itself against thier ranting.

Those Woman that Call thenselves muslims and then do not believe in the Hijab ayats mentioned in the Quran are nothing more then hypocrits,

The Quran is so Clear and precise on this issue that you cannot refute the truth, MUSLIM woman are ORDERED to wear HIJAB!!! and yet no hypocrit muslim has been able to refute this claim from the quran.

Quran says clearly you can be yourself infront of your close relatives such as your father, brothers, children, uncles, father in law. however other then this close net of men you are ordered to wear the HIJAB.

if you think this is not right then prove it from the Quran!!! otherwise i can say confidently you are a hypocrit.

to be a muslim woman you have to believe in what god has said and has ordered you to do.[/QUOTE]

I think we can reframe from calling another Muslim a hypocrate Faiz.  No Muslim is perfect.  Just because this sister doesn't see something the way you or I do doesn't make her any less a Muslim.  Maybe one day she will change her mind about this matter or maybe she won't.  But only God is the ultimate judge and we shouldn't be judging each other, only giving each other advice in a friendly way.  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 3:58PM #48
AshtarothKarnim
ilu shelem

do you have secret marks to denote things?

wear a red ribbon around your wrist and finger to denote I cannot do as my gods wish.
If you cant do that wear a black braclet, for it must be kept secret i cannot do as my gods wish
not that a black ring, for it must be kept a secret that it is a secret ...
not that write a mark on the palm of your hand...for it must be hidden that it must be a secret that ahh its umm...

you get the idea? I dont think moslems have such symbolism though so it only means something to those who read this post.

salem
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 5:49PM #49
Atsila
I know that the Quran does not say for women to cover their hair.  If people want to interpret it differently, then that is up to them.  I also know that the Quran warns against muslims judging each other's faith, so you should be careful. 

wassalam,
Atsila
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 2:26PM #50
deenbash
assalamu alaikum,quiting the job is the best option
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing