Page 4 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View My hijab, or my job?
7 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2008 - 6:15PM #31
Idbc
It seems to me that for the most part, it is Muslim MENwho want the women to wear a hijab. 
Women are urged to "guard their modesty" and  "adornments".  And who are the "guarding their modesty and adornments"  from ? MEN

Veiling, aka hijab was practiced a loooong time before Muhammad, the Quran and Islam appeared on the world stage.  Jews, Christians and PAGANS practiced veiling all over the planet, from the middle east to china.

There was nothing new and unique about it.  It is a religous and cultral affectation.
HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2008 - 11:48PM #32
Yusif
Islam is for everyone in every time everywhere it's international religon and that tell us we would get much of exceptional circumstances in where we live or with who we live and the community we among and you need to live your life as you want as you choose, and as much as the circumstances can't help you or the situation would be hard for you then you might need to match with it , Islam is religon of easiness not hardness [deen yuser] do what fit with your situation and Insha Aallah He will relieve this circumstances

and at the end God knows what in your heart and propher (pbuh) said follow your heart even if all gaves you fatwa
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 11:25AM #33
Fondation
Reading about the various discussions and opinions one has to acknowledge that each individual using the Quranic versus relating to hijab is correct. However, one has to trascend beyond the physicality in order to understand the pardah of the heart.  Most people would strongly differ on this point maintaining that in order to reach the spiritual level, one needs to firstly implement the physical aspect. The mere fact that we reflect about the wonders of Allah, is that not spirituality on its own?
To the person who would like to embrace Islam, it is quite sad to hear how it is we as Muslims have so many different opinions when there is only one God and one Rasool (S.A.W). Instead of confusing and detering her from the path of Islam, there is always a deeper meaning behind everything. What led you to want to go into hijab? Surely it has nothing to do with God or Islam. For if you truly searching for the Ultimate Truth and only Reality, you would not be disputing about trivial matters such as co-workers and whether they are staunch Christians or not. God says He was a hidden treasure and wanted to be known therefore He created. We are created to know and thus through everything in life we are made to discover who God truly is.
Our greatest downfall is that we are so absorbed in looking at every other persons faults and weaknesses, we fail to acknowledge they are merely a reflection unto us in order that we may rectify it within ourselves. Through this we will realize there is much retrospection and no introspection.
So I pose the question to all who had commented in regard to this topic
What has each one of you learnt about yourselves through the person who would love to be in hijab?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 11:25AM #34
Fondation
Reading about the various discussions and opinions one has to acknowledge that each individual using the Quranic versus relating to hijab is correct. However, one has to trascend beyond the physicality in order to understand the pardah of the heart.  Most people would strongly differ on this point maintaining that in order to reach the spiritual level, one needs to firstly implement the physical aspect. The mere fact that we reflect about the wonders of Allah, is that not spirituality on its own?
To the person who would like to embrace Islam, it is quite sad to hear how it is we as Muslims have so many different opinions when there is only one God and one Rasool (S.A.W). Instead of confusing and detering her from the path of Islam, there is always a deeper meaning behind everything. What led you to want to go into hijab? Surely it has nothing to do with God or Islam. For if you truly searching for the Ultimate Truth and only Reality, you would not be disputing about trivial matters such as co-workers and whether they are staunch Christians or not. God says He was a hidden treasure and wanted to be known therefore He created. We are created to know and thus through everything in life we are made to discover who God truly is.
Our greatest downfall is that we are so absorbed in looking at every other persons faults and weaknesses, we fail to acknowledge they are merely a reflection unto us in order that we may rectify it within ourselves. Through this we will realize there is much retrospection and no introspection.
So I pose the question to all who had commented in regard to this topic
What has each one of you learnt about yourselves through the person who would love to be in hijab?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 3:54PM #35
Sanaa
As Salaamu Alaikum,

I am a 25 year old Muslimah, I am not currently wearing my hijab and I could say that there are reasons why but I know that they would all be considered excuses so I rather not waste the text I know that Allah comes first in all affairs but for whatever reason I am having a hard time wearing it constantly, I wear it 3 months, sometimes six sometimes a year and then I stop I really dont have a valid reason why I just feel that I sometimes fall victim to the "dress and Style" fthe non believers.  I really want to be pleasing to my lord and have taqwa at all times I know Allah test' everyone and overing will not be easy all the time but I t seems to be harder for me than others and all my friends and immediate family are musli so it isn't like I dont have anyone around me to influence me I'm just confused anyone have any suggestion.......

My second topic is that i have have Twins daughters who are five years old they are now at an age where they know and see things and they have "mature" understanding of things at 5 they often ask me if they could wear a khimar and I always tell them yes but I want them to know the true meaning of wearing it.  Also, their father isn't muslim and he feels that I should wait until they become of age to let them decide their religion but at the same time I feel I should instill islamic value in them he and I are no longer together but we have a close rlationship is it fair for me to not respect his opinions because he is a good father and provider and he his a part of their life
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 12:36AM #36
sazaj36
Just curious.....what does "coming of age" and "instill Islamic values" have to do with each other? I mean you can be teaching your daughters Islamic values from the moment they are aware of right and wrong...which is natural for every parent that wants to raise good moral children. Islamic values include being just, being honest, treat others well, treat your parents well etc...so no need to wait till they come of age...that stuff should be a given...no matter what your religion. It seems you are equating Islamic values with the khimar...which is fine if you want to base all your taqwa on a piece of cloth...but Islamic values are so much more than that.

Im not being critical..just giving my opinion. Good luck.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 10:03AM #37
Yodalady_AA
Sazaj

There are time ONE should cover one's hair...and I am there.  Incredibly bad hair cut growing out and I look like an OCedar mop....LOL!  Off to the hairdressers tonight...LOL!

YL
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 12:48PM #38
MSTCOMESWITHWSDM
[QUOTE=witness22;23599]Asalamu alaikum. I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I am seriously considering taking Islam as my faith. I've only been studying it for a few weeks, and there's many questions I still need answered first, but no other religion has captured both my heart and mind the way Islam has. I pray at the correct times whenever I can, or as close to it as I can get, and even if I don't convert I find myself loving the hijab and Islamic ways of dressing. But I've discovered that I work in an environment with deep-running prejudices and fears.

I told my boss that I wanted to wear the hijab to work one day to see how customers would react (and secretly to see how my coworkers would react). My conservative Christian boss was shocked at first (no one has any idea that I'm considering converting) and almost said no, but eventually agreed, thinking I was doing it as a social experiment since I want to go into theology. But he said I could only do it on a day when the store owner wasn't there, because if the owner saw me in the hijab he would "blow up". When I asked why, my boss told me that it was because the owner was a "good, faithful Christian" - a very complimentary, twisted synonym for "intolerant" in this situation. In the process of talking about me doing this "experiment" my boss also told me that there was actually a rule against it. Well, actually the rule is against wearing hats, but the rule says "no headgear", and now that I've brought this up "headgear" is now being interpreted as including hijab - and it was made very clear to me that this is the one and only time I will be allowed to do this "experiment", and that if it starts causing any problems with customers, I am to immediately take it off (although I think my coworkers are already reacting much more than the customers will).

So I'm faced with a dilemma: I want to wear the hijab! Even if I don't convert, I think I want to wear it. But now I could get fired, not on the basis of my religion, but because I'm wearing a headscarf. Do they really think that if I put a piece of fabric on my head it makes me a different person than I was yesterday? No! It is only an external expression seen today of what was already in my heart yesterday, and many days before that. But it has been made clear to me that these men I work with are extremely conservative Christians who want the entire world to be a reflection of themselves and their values, and I'm already forced to sit all day and listen to them vent their prejudices, and there is no room in their hearts for tolerance.

Part of me wants to start wearing the hijab just to get myself fired so I don't have to listen to their hate anymore. I took this job out of desperation, and I don't like the work or the people I work with. But to get the job I had to give my word that I would work there for a year. It's only been three months. As wrong as all this is, I'm not sure it would make it right to break my promise. It takes a month to train someone for this job, sometimes longer, so if I quit during the middle of the busy season I would be leaving them in a lurch. Part of me has no problem with that - if they don't want to work with a muslim, I don't want to work with them (really I'm rather afraid to), and I'd rather quit than have them looking for ways to fire me. I know that if I did convert they wouldn't allow me to pray at work - I had to fight with them and almost pass out just to get a lunch break! But on the other hand, the owner's son has cancer, and I have heard him crying to God to know why his son has to suffer, and I don't want to add to his burdens by breaking my word and putting him in a hard place.

So, the dilemma is: my hijab, or my job? Please give me advice!

Peace and blessings upon you all.[/QUOTE]

As an American it is your constitutional right to practice your beliefs. If you feel led to wear it so be it. New testament backs you up. Gods word has never changed from the Torrah, to the N.T.  to the Qur'ran. Modest appearal and the covering of the head is something we are instructed to practice. Yes even in the Bible it teaches that. Its just that We christians have fallen so far from what Gods word teaches and when we read those particular scriptures for some reason us students and layman either dont bother to question why its not being practiced or outr teachers have all their IDEAS  as to why we dont have to but none are Biblical just mans version and distortian of the truth. Ware your hajib if you feel Gods word telling you to do so. Every ones convictions are diffrent. If it makes you feel like you are doing the right thing for God and it is in His word to do so who cares what man says. See the other post on this Islam site in RE: to the same US MUSLIM gives a great manner of Versus from the holy Qur'ran as well if its Gods word you are most coincerned about.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2008 - 11:14PM #39
faiz4you
Hypocrit Camp of Muslim Women!

is there some defect with your faith?

Miraj

you call yourself a learned scholar on Islamic thoelogy! but how is it that you take one part of the ayats from the Quran and ignore another part of the Ayats from the Quran? IF you read the ayat below with three different translators, what does it say?

YUSUFALI: And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof;

Your Breast and your vagina DO NOT APPEAR Normally

that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex;

Do you walk naked infront of your Father, Sons, Father in Law and your Brothers? if not then what kind of modesty differentiates between your close relatives and the outside world? certainly your not suggesting it is OK to be naked infront of your father in LAW? 

and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.

What does it mean strike your feet? and to reveal what ornaments?

PICKTHAL: And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.
SHAKIR: And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so that you may be successful.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 8:11PM #40
newmuslimlady
The word "adornment "is used in the much quoted scripture and is the key to understanding that a Muslim woman should wear the Hijab.  Adornment means Beauty and we Muslim women are suppose to cover it.  A woman's HAIR is Very Beautiful to Men, they love our hair and are very attracted to it.  Not just Muslim men but all men.   So it is a part of us that should be covered. 

Also wearing HIjab is good for Dawah.   Muslims are suppose to give Dawah, it is our responsibility to tell others about Islam.  Just the other day I was in J.C. Penney and a young lady who worked there came to me and asked if I was Muslim and had questions.  She was interested also in coming to a Masjid to find out more about our faith.  I gave her my phone number and she gave me hers.  Other people have asked me questions also.  I'm proud to be a Muslim and proud to be a Hijabi...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 12  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook