Page 8 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View My hijab, or my job?
7 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 11:44AM #71
endgame
[QUOTE=VICTORIA JEAN;532018]SALAAMS ALL-  While the laws may state that our religion is protected, in reality no employer is dumb enough to say that hijab is the reason you were not hired or were fired.
   It is impossible to prove what is unsaid by an employer.
   And to ask for special time to pray certainly may put an unfair workload on co-workers.
   I feel it is bad manners to be expectant of favor and consideration- without first being sensitive to the very real fears others may have around you.
They also have a right to feel comfortable- America i not an Islamic society- so extra care must be taken to be as solicitous of the feelings of others as one expects them to be of ones religious practices.
.[/QUOTE]

Asalaamualaikum,
Special time to pray in no way puts an unfair workload on co-workers. There are many ways one can make up that time by coming in early or staying late. Friday prayers more often than not fall around lunch time and can easily be worked in. Ofcourse not all work situations are like this but my point is there are options which can easily be worked for both employee and employer to get the best solution. It is not bad manners and again no one is asking for special favors. A special favor would be something if it was not already allowed by law which clearly it is. Yes, some employers might not want you because of your dress code but chances are that same employer will find something else wrong with you even if you didnt adhere to your dress code so is that job really worth having? Second, most employers are aware of muslim requirements nowadays and if they are not, they are willing to work with you. That has always been my experience in my 10+ years in a professional career. They key is to be upfront about it when accepting a position. The jews/african americans did not get their rights by being silent and accepting the norm. The more we mention it, the more it will become the norm. I have never had anyone complain about it. One has to be reasonable in their demands, thats all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 5:07PM #72
Divad737
Can any of the women in Egypt please respond to the massive movement to re-establish veiling. What is the significance of it politically, socially and culturally for women? How do the women in the West feel about this topic? Please specify where you come from (does not have to be specific; East or West will do)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2008 - 11:35AM #73
GabrielleG
you are not obligated to wear hijab if it will make things difficult for you. but in the end, it is your decision. if you are doing this to see a reaction, that is not a good reason. you should do it because of your religious faith. you are still new to Islam... go slow...

there is also an aya in the Qur'an (and i am paraphrasing) that says "do not take Islam as sport" you may want to highly consider that verse. Islam is not a game... it is a spiritual way of life that brings peace to oneself. do not use it to antagonize.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2008 - 11:35AM #74
GabrielleG
you are not obligated to wear hijab if it will make things difficult for you. but in the end, it is your decision. if you are doing this to see a reaction, that is not a good reason. you should do it because of your religious faith. you are still new to Islam... go slow...

there is also an aya in the Qur'an (and i am paraphrasing) that says "do not take Islam as sport" you may want to highly consider that verse. Islam is not a game... it is a spiritual way of life that brings peace to oneself. do not use it to antagonize.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 1:56PM #75
minUnee
Asalamu alaikum,
As per the hijab, I feel each women takes on their on level when it comes to this issue. End result how strong is your iman?
The best answer for this is in the Qu'ran which states  “Say to believing women, that they cast down their eyes and guard their private parts, and reveal not their adornment save such as is outward; and let them drape their headcoverings over their bosoms, and not reveal their adornment . . .” (Qur’an 24:31).
One concern i do have with you is when you stated " I want to wear the hijab! Even if I don't convert, I think I want to wear it." This alarms me as a muslima for the fact the hijab IS NOT a fashion statement. It is not something you put on one day and then next say well I am not wearing it today. May Allah help guide you with the true meaning of the hijab.
I converted to Islam over 10 years ago ahumdillah. It took me over 7 years to commit my iman to wearing the hijab and wearing the proper islamic dress. For the fact is I know once I put it on, there is no person, society or establishments that will ever change my mind of my decision no matter what trial or tribulation that befalls me. For I have accepted everything is from Allah. Ahumdillah!
To the point I had to sacrifice relations with my son (14 yrs of age) who is Roman Catholic. For the fact he does not accept Islam or anything of it. So he does not what anything to do with me. I am a "terrorist" in his eyes as he tells me. Now I know I could easily take it off, go see him and put it back on when I am in my own community. In all reality, I feel that goes against my true Iman. Even though I love my son very muchI
I suggest you do more research on Islam and the Hijab.
May Allah guide you with the answers you need.
Masalam
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 4:42PM #76
sazaj36
Islam is about breaking down barriers and bringing people together...not about building walls and tearing people apart. I do not believe God orders hijab even if others believe God does...but Im 100% sure God does not want us to forsake our children...and 14 years old is still a child...when its written in the Quran to not even forsake our own parents and say oof to them if they are not Muslim and advise us to do things against our religion. If we are advised to keep relations with our parents even when they are against us by way or another...how much more deserving are our children to keep the ties that bind...God mentions the love of a mother for her child as one of the strongest bonds there is....but it seems your love of hijab supercedes your love for your child...and I cant believe for a moment that God ask that of any mother. God is Most Merciful....right?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 5:35PM #77
minUnee
I totally understand what you are saying. I have explained to my son that we are praying to the same God just in different ways. When I am home the hijab is not on unless visitors (non family) enter the home. The problem lays when it comes to being outside. He is embarrassed and ashamed of me for the way I choose to dress. He feels that people will think he is a muslim. That is why he disowned me. I did not disown him. I do keep daily phone calls with him and anything in reason he needs I provide. I am just missing the face to face contact with him. Since this issue of my dress and the way some of society perceives it, is why he does not want to be around me. I did inform him as he ages and learns about the differences of the world and he would like to see me again, I will open my door for him with no hate only a mother's love. For he is not old enough to fully understand the concept of my faith in Islam. Shall I remove the dress just to please the way others perceive him? All that teaches is give into others on what they believe no matter what you yourself REALLY believes. What would that say about my own faith?

May God help us all with our differences.

The word Islam means "submission", or the total surrender of oneself to God (Arabic: الله, Allāh).  An adherent of Islam is known as a Muslim, meaning "one who submits [to God]".
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 11:59PM #78
muaminva
AsSalaamu 'alaikum,
Maintaining the ties of kinship is impotant but, only sofar as one is complying with the requirements of the deen. If a persons parent, siblings, children, ect wish them to disobey Allah (SWA) then they must obey Allah (SWA) first. This is not a negotiable principle in Islam.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 12:09AM #79
muaminva
AsSalaamu 'alaikum,

No matter what other people think of you proper dress and behavior is a right that you owe to Allah (SWA) and those around you. You do not have to apologize to anyone for obeying Allah (SWA) in observing the required dress code and taking time out of the day to pray.

There are few legitimate reasons why an employer may deny you your rights and in those circumstances it is probably better that you didn't work for such a company. As for illegitimate reasons you are definitely better off not working for such bigoted people.

You are too special in the eyes of Allah (SWA) to subject yourself deliberately to abuse.

May Allah (SWA) bless all those sisters with enough faith to keep to their required hijab.

Masalaamah
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 8:14AM #80
sazaj36
Teenagers are notorious for "feeling ashamed" of their own parents for a number of reasons...how they dress is just one of many issues that come up. Consider that he is being a teenager about this rather than hateful towards your choice of religions etc. All teenagers are under great peer pressure and dont want to be "looked" at as strange or different or associated with strange or different in any way. Dont worry how you come off looking to other people...they are strangers and who cares what they think...right....but to a teen its a very real emotional issue...so consider his thought processes in all this. After all...you were a teenager once...yes?

Nobody said abandon hijab if thats what you believe in...but is the breakdown of your family worth it....please dont try and convince me God cares about your hair showing to the world more than your relationship with your son...that aint the God I read within the pages of the Holy Quran...just my opinion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook