Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What do you wear for salah?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 10:27PM #1
monotheist
Assalamu Alaikum:

So, normally when it's time to pray... I pray in whatever I'm wearing.  I'll change my shirt, if I'm around the house in short-sleeves...but that's about it.  Lately I've been thinking of putting aside (or perhaps making?) a special prayer outfit... or at least a special hijab for salat.  Something that will help add to the sacredness of the experience, perhaps.  Something that will signal to me it is time to worship Allah(swt)... just as my prayer rug does.

Do you have anything like that??
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 9:26AM #2
tired1
Asalamu Aleikum
I have a chador type garment (but it is cloed up the front) in a light blue cotten. I just pull it on over whatever I've on (except if I'm dirty from taking out the garbage or something0then I change) I have a pattern for it if you'd like to make one...or I'd make you one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 10:49AM #3
witness22
I'm new to praying, but I've discovered I have a problem that I would also run into with the traditional prayer outfits: When I rise from prostration to standing to start the next rakat of prayer, I end up standing on the back hem of my long skirt, and I have to use my hands to get up and pull the skirt from under my feet half way up or fall over! Do you run into this problem? What am I doing wrong?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 6:50AM #4
sazaj36
I also use  just a large single cloth I pull over my head...that way whatever im wearing at the time doesnt have to be changed.

witness it helps if you raise the heels of your feet slightly before completely standing up. This releases the garment from under your feet before you get caught up in it. hope that helps.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 2:25AM #5
Zahrah_el
[QUOTE=witness22;24204]I'm new to praying, but I've discovered I have a problem that I would also run into with the traditional prayer outfits: When I rise from prostration to standing to start the next rakat of prayer, I end up standing on the back hem of my long skirt, and I have to use my hands to get up and pull the skirt from under my feet half way up or fall over! Do you run into this problem? What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

I think that you will find that your skirt is too long for salat. The hem of your skirt should not be below your ankles.  Hem the skirt.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 10:36PM #6
msdeebro
I have a special prayer garment at home and for the mosque.

1. A full garment with hood and sleeves- floor.-length.

2. Two-piece prayer garment to cover regular clothes.

Sometimes when i am in a hurry I just pray in my Abayah and long Hijab.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 9:29PM #7
Dilek74
salaam alaykum

I have a two snap black jilbab that a sister gave me a while back.  I use that and a wrap hijab.  I used to have a cotton prayer garmet but I washed it in hot water and now it's fit for mini me.. sigh.

salaams
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2008 - 12:15AM #8
meghanrose
Assalaamu alaykum,

I am also new to praying. I pray in whatever I'm wearing - I normally wear jilbab and hijab every day, but occasionally I'll wear long-sleeved, loose Western clothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 12:57AM #9
arabianwitch
If I'm on duty I pray in my uniform, whether it's a flight suit or class A's. Off duty if I'm wearing jeans and a tank top I pray in jeans and a tank top, or a skirt and blouse, or running shorts and a halter, or whatever I happen to be wearing. If I'm in a mosque I'm wearing Islamic clothing including a hijab out of respect so in that case I pray in Islamic clothing. And if I'm getting ready for bed and it's time to pray I pray in whatever I'm wearing, or NOT wearing at the time! Obviously, where I happen to be when it's time for prayer has a lot to do with whether or not I do it in the traditional manner, or just in my head while standing or sitting. And if I'm home with my husband what I'm wearing doesn't matter in the least when we pray side by side. Again obviously, whereas I have no problem kneeling and praying according to tradition in my flight suit next to my aircraft (done it zillions of times in Afghanistan, Iraq, and at home stations) I'm not about to do the same thing if I'm in class A's with a knee length skirt!

If this hasn't been figured out yet, I'll state the obvious. I believe that what Allah cares about is that we pray, and that we mean it, and that all the ritual forms are no more than window dressing which are the LEAST important thing!

Salaam,

Aisha
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2008 - 1:00AM #10
docwitchy
Salaam Sisters,

I agree with Sister Aisha. What she does is esssentially what I do with differences according to our different circumstances naturally.

My main agreement with Aisha is with her last statement, so I'll quote her. "I believe that what Allah cares about is that we pray, and that we mean it, and that all the ritual forms are no more than window dressing which are the least important thing." That's my own belief.

Salaam again,

Mariah
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook