Switch to Forum Live View Canyon country fire.
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 1:24AM #1
MMCSFOX
Canyon country fire.

My son lives in the area of one of the fires still raging in the Los Angeles County area. He is in one of the lower canyons that were surrounded by the fire and I will say that what kept the fire away from his street was due largely to the newer houses that had been built up to the end of the street. All had cement tile (fireproof) type of roofs and most all the brush had been cleared away from the houses.

Last Sunday after sending the rest of the family and kids back to our house we stayed wetting things down until the fire topped out over the hill, then joined the stream of cars leaving the area. Forty foot high flames can inspire one to take it on the lam.

Even with the fifty to sixty MPH winds the fire did not move down the hill as there was no fuel for it to use and what flying embers landing on fireproof roofs had nothing to work on.

So I guess that what saved all of the houses on his street was that everybody had done their best to follow proper construction and hillside clearing routines. It does sometimes pay to listen to experience.

I also would like to give a great thanks to all those involved in fighting these fires. They are great people.

Jesse F.
Thanks again firefighters. Great job.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 2:22AM #2
bytebear
Please pray for the safety and preservation of lives and homes in the area.  I am literally one mile from the Orange County fires, and we need all your prayers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 1:25PM #3
withwonderingawe
gees I hope everyone is okay
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook