Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Charitable organization.
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 8:56PM #1
asl1290
Hello all,

I realize at times it can be difficult to find a charitable cause or organization that does not have ties with some religion.  I found one that I think very highly of.  Teachers enter projects for their classes or students and a person can voluntarily pay for it if they choose.

It is at

donorschoose.org

Take care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 9:16PM #2
goodtobehome
I like project Linus.  You can make blankets and quilts for critically ill children.  And they even allow schools to participate, the kids can make 'squares' that can be put together.  My thing is small quilts and crocheted blankets.  I always have to be doing something with my hands!  And this one also has no religious ties.  You can join a chapter, or just send in the quilts/ blankets.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2007 - 7:44PM #3
VanillaMocha
Any reason for not just donating to the Watchtower Society?  I don't find a lot for donations after my tithe yet, although God has been blessing us generously, as we take that step of faith - we have always made it through.  :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 3:08AM #4
asl1290
Hello VM,

I have donated to the WT society, but I believe that charitable giving of various sorts is also the responsability of the individual christian, just as the preaching of the gospel is.   So for me, I like to spread a little extra around.  Time is actually better than money so I try to actually do something too.  But that is just me.

Take care
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 3:10PM #5
VanillaMocha
Aren't Jehovah's Witnesses strongly discouraged from any type of charitable giving or volunteering outside the preaching work?

Watchtower 1951 11/1 p. 644
Awake 1973 11/22 p. 26
Watchtower 2003 6/1 p. 7
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 4:58PM #6
goodtobehome
No.

You are reading it incorrectly.  'Be cautious in evaluting appeals for aid' and 'helping others spirituality is of the highest importance' does not equate to 'seriously discouraging.'

If I want to knit blankies for sick babies, the elders will say, 'go for it.'

But there is an entire board for you to use to say our materials 'say' things that they do not say.

This isn't it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 5:59PM #7
VanillaMocha
I will forgive your reply that could be perceived as a rather impolite response to a simple query. 

I love to crochet stuff.  I have not donated anything except to friends yet, though.  Project Linus might be interesting.

The other thing I saw done that was really nice was when my mom's senior trailer park (and whole area) flooded.  A bunch of people went down to the park and brought boxes to help them pack, cell phone chargers, hot food, you name it - they even offered to pray with people and just comfort them.  I know it isn't a regular charity donation type thing, but I think it is awesome to watch for those little things and take the time to help.  It sure meant a lot to her.  I think the setup was arranged by the youth groups of a few churches in the area.  Seems young people have more time and it sure is nice to see them band together like that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 7:01PM #8
goodtobehome
If it was truly a simple query, I  do need to beg your pardon.  It appeared to be one of the many criticisms I have seen, often phrased exactly as you have phrased it, implying Jehovah's Witnesses do nothing to better their communities.

You may need to correct me.  I thought I had gathered that you used to be a Witness, and no longer were.  This played into the terse tone of my response as well, as this board is the equivalent to the JW only board.  I invite you to correct me, if I made a mistake.

I have gotten posters mixed up before, and it would not come as a shock to me if I did it again in this instance!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 7:01PM #9
goodtobehome
If it was truly a simple query, I  do need to beg your pardon.  It appeared to be one of the many criticisms I have seen, often phrased exactly as you have phrased it, implying Jehovah's Witnesses do nothing to better their communities.

You may need to correct me.  I thought I had gathered that you used to be a Witness, and no longer were.  This played into the terse tone of my response as well, as this board is the equivalent to the JW only board.  I invite you to correct me, if I made a mistake.

I have gotten posters mixed up before, and it would not come as a shock to me if I did it again in this instance!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 10:16PM #10
Di_K

goodtobehome wrote:

If it was truly a simple query, I do need to beg your pardon. It appeared to be one of the many criticisms I have seen, often phrased exactly as you have phrased it, implying Jehovah's Witnesses do nothing to better their communities.

You may need to correct me. I thought I had gathered that you used to be a Witness, and no longer were. This played into the terse tone of my response as well, as this board is the equivalent to the JW only board. I invite you to correct me, if I made a mistake.

Hey goodtobehome, you are not mistaken. VanillaMocha is not a Jehovah's Witness; a quick peek at his/her profile will clarify that straight away.

And you were also spot on when you wrote: But there is an entire board for you to use to say our materials 'say' things that they do not say.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook