Switch to Forum Live View Proper Libation Etiquette
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 7:15PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Soulvisitor  --

I am black and have never practiced an african religion, but I honor my ancestors with prayer everyday and I keep an space/alter for them at home with their framed pictures along with fresh flowers--it just instinctively feels like the right thing to do.

I would like very much to offer a libation as well. I participated in small ceremony during Black History month and it was so very moving and connecting for my spirit. I would love to also do this at home.

Can someone offer some direction on how this should be carried out properly?

I appreciate your help and any other advice you think might help me honor and remember my beloved ancestors.
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 4:10AM #2
Amilius1970

First of all let me send you a greeting of peace (as Salaamu Alaikum).

Secondly let me inform you that what you have done as far as honoring the elders who have gone before us is a wonderful thing.  I think that you are moving in the right direction.  And there is no doubt in my mind that you will get the proper blessings for doing such a thing.  The pouring of libations is a gesture that touches us on three different levels: the mental, the physical, & the spiritual.  Maybe you have or maybe you have not, seen or heard of brothers on the corner pouring out some liquor for their dead homies.  Well, it's the same concept.  But the difference is when you do it properly it brings you closer to what they call "the principles" of Kwanzaa.  It's truly a beautiful thang.  Oops!...I mean, a beautiful Thing - depending on where you're from.

Lastly, let me give you the web address to where you can get all of the proper information about this.

www.officialkwanzaawebsite.org

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook