Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

11 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2007 - 8:59PM #1
smoothsable
[SIZE=1]I recently had a relative pass away due to complications of scleroderma. Her doctor indicated that the condition was a known affliction which affects descendents of  particular Native American tribes. Has anyone here heard anything about that? Talking about this is a real downer for me being that she passed away just a few weeks ago. I'm just wondering if there might be some truth to what the doctor said. [/SIZE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 6:03PM #2
Marcyy
Do a google search and see what you come up with. I haven't heard that it is something which hits certain
American Indians.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 7:20PM #3
thelostrose
I am Native American myself, and did a websearch on webmd.com for you; didn't find anything relating to being NA involved with scleroderma. Will continue searching and let you know if I find anything.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 1:37AM #4
wohali
Smoothsable,

according to this article, Chocktaw have the highest incidence.

http://www.medicinenet.com/scleroderma/article.htm
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 7:10PM #5
divalicious
[QUOTE=smoothsable;815][SIZE=1]I recently had a relative pass away due to complications of scleroderma. Her doctor indicated that the condition was a known affliction which affects descendents of  particular Native American tribes. Has anyone here heard anything about that? Talking about this is a real downer for me being that she passed away just a few weeks ago. I'm just wondering if there might be some truth to what the doctor said. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Smoothsable,
I am sorry for your loss. I did a dogpile, and, a google search about scleroderma in relation to Native American Tribes. It appears that African Americans and the "Chocktaw" Native American Tribe have the highest incidence. The connection was not made clear.

I am almost graduated from school to be a Massage Therapist. In my pathology class we discussed this disease at length. It is an autoimmune disorder that is systemic. Scleroderma is most common in middle age women. It first affects connective tissue and blood vessels, it is characterized by excessive collagen production of the connective tissues (fasia) of the skin, lungs, and internal organs. The skin becomes fixed to underlying tissues. There may be localized forms -with just small patches of skin involved. But, often there is cardiac, renal, pulmonary, and intestinal involvement. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
Blessed Be
Divalicious
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook