Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Book/Info Hoard Thread
7 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2007 - 10:12PM #11
paksmrbk
It might be nice to simply state at the beginning of the link list that each of the websites are direct links or some such.  I mean, once I hovered my cursor over the links, I figured it out, but a staement may be helpful for newer folks...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 8:13PM #12
Sakhaiva
Wow - excellent resource!  From a new person ~ many thanks for your time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 8:30PM #13
TonyCoyote
Glad I could be of help, and welcome to the boards!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 7:18PM #14
lisanofzinger
Thanks, Tony, for all the book titles and organizations.  I am in the process of getting most of the books.  I especially like Diana Paxson's Essential Asatru.  It contains a lot of contact info for heathen organizations as well as a good bibliography.

Another book I found helpful is Exploring the Northern Tradition by Galina Krasskova (New Page Books, 2005).  I bought it at Schuler Books, an independent bookstore in Michigan but it may be available at Amazon or through Barnes and Noble.  It's another Asatru 101 book.  I like Paxson's book a bit better but found this book of use as well.

Lisa
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 5:57PM #15
Drknss
Hi everyone.

I figured I'd give a helping hand. Here are some books that have helped me over time.

1. "Dictionary of Norse Myth and Legend" By:  Andrew Orchard. At Amazon

2. "Culture of the Teutons Vols 1-3" By: Vilhelm Gronbech. At Ballantrae Reprint

3. "Ibn Fadlan's Travel Report As it Concerns the Scandinavian Rus" Intro and Commentary By: Stephen E. Flowers. Runa Raven Press

4. "The Magical Universe: Everyday Ritual and Magic in Pre-Modern Europe" By: Stephen Wilson (It's content is about after the conversion but I think it's still a good books.) At Amazon

5. "Popular religion in late Saxon England : elf charms in context" By:  Karen Louise Jolly At Amazon

6. "Scandinavian Folk Belief and Legend (Nordic Series, Vol 15)" By:  Reimund Kvideland At Amazon

7. "Shaman of Oberstdorf : Chonrad Stoeckhlin and the phantoms of the night" By:  Wolfgang Behringer At Amazon

8. "Tribal Custom in Anglo-Saxon Law" By: Frederic Seebohm At Amazon

9. "Well and the Tree : world and time in early Germanic culture" By:  Paul C. Bauschatz At Books On Demand ( I know Tony already posted this one but it's worth posting again.)

Take care. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 2:19AM #16
Drknss
Hi everyone.

I just ran across this nice little ebook and figured I'd post it. It might not be for newbies but I figured others would find it useful.

Here's the link. A Grammar of Proto-German By: Winfred P. Lehmann

Take care. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 3:44PM #17
OldeBones
I like to try and add a few books to my collection every month or so.  I'm currently eyeballing  Santa, Last of the Wild Men by Phyllis Siefker  and  Lady with a Mead Cup by Michael J. Enright.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 5:22PM #18
Drknss
[QUOTE]I like to try and add a few books to my collection every month or so. I'm currently eyeballing Santa, Last of the Wild Men by Phyllis Siefker and Lady with a Mead Cup by Michael J. Enright[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you mentioned Lady with a Mead Cup OldeBones.

I completely forgot to announce. A member at another forum announced the other day. Lady with a Mead cup has been reprinted by FourCourtsPress.

There is a limited number of copies (about 150) and if you order a copy for a limited time. You get a free copy of another book. By some author about a modern Irish artist.

Here's the link: FourCourtsPress.

When I ordered my copy the price came out to about $125.

I waited acouple of days because like a said. A member of another forum announced it. Since he announced it for that forum. So that the members there could get a copy. I figured I'd wait acouple of days to give them a chance to get their copies.

Anyways. Take care. :)

P.S. By the way. Welcome to the forums OldeBones.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 11:01PM #19
OldeBones
[QUOTE=Drknss;132300]I'm glad you mentioned Lady with a Mead Cup OldeBones.

P.S. By the way. Welcome to the forums OldeBones.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Much!  Glad to be here, hoping to meet new people to YAK with!     : )

And yes, too good of a read to pass up!  I'm still waiting for the 1st book to arrive and getting impatient.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 4:46PM #20
Northernwolf84
Can i suggest the following: Elves,Wights and Trolls: Studies towards the practise of Germanic Heathenry:vol 1 by Kveldulf Gundarsson

I got my copy from Amazon.co.uk -worth a read :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook