Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2007 - 12:54AM #1
UFRETR
Welcome all to the Messianic Judaism community board!!!

Much shalom!

Ufretr
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 4:58PM #2
preacher197
Am a Christian who is intested in understanding his Jewish Roots as a believer in Jesus as the Messia. (Sorry for the misspelling)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2007 - 10:57PM #3
UFRETR
[QUOTE=preacher197;83730]Am a Christian who is intested in understanding his Jewish Roots as a believer in Jesus as the Messia. (Sorry for the misspelling)[/QUOTE]

Then welcome to the forum!

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.  In case I would not know an answer for a question, I'll surely research and help you out!

Much shalom! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 2:27AM #4
lilcuriouscat
Is this forum still operating? I just joined the new community thing but have been on beliefnet for many years, can't seem to find my old friends now but a few were talking to me about this subject.  Still want to learn more.
Peace,
Christy Lyn
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 11:12PM #5
SonnyC
I was part of a Messianic Jewish congregation for three years in Calif., this was in addition to my regular church.

I left the movement after attending a MJ national conference in which they were advocating required circumcision for membership of Gentiles (gers). I felt the movement had benefits, but movements usually degrade into heresies, and this was pretty evident they had stepped out to lunch in terms of balance at the time. I don't have a clue where they are at doctrinally today, but I enjoyed my time learning about it, and I also played acoustic guitar and vocals in the worship team, learning about 100 MJ songs.

I learned some valuable theology while studying this topic, which I added to the vault of my knowledge, which I am willing to share if anyone stumbles into a topic which i feel I hae a unique viewpoint to offer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 11:16PM #6
SonnyC
I'll just throw out an example. i feel the most important passage of scripture in the NT, in terms of eschatology and in terms of Christians understanding issues related to national destiny and vocation, is Mt. 23:39.

Instead of providing an analysis here, I would like to hear your views on that passage in terms of your experience in MJ, and later I'll add my perspective if necessary.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2008 - 11:21PM #7
UFRETR
Sonic:

I'm sorry about that what happened in that conference.  I'm a member of the MJAA, which is the largest MJ organization worldwide and we agree that circumcision is not to be demanded as a meant for non-Jews to join the Messianic community.  This is a personal decision and we (circumcized or not) are one in Messiah and all children of ONE G-d.  However, there are individual Rabbis and congregations within our movement that believe this is required.  Most MJ congregations agree that it is not. 

In my congregation nothing is required.  You don't have to kiss the Torah when it is marched around or bend the knee and bow every time the phrase "Baruch ata Ad-nai" is said in a prayer.  There are things common to Christians that are not allowed (like extreme charismatic manifestations, etc.) but as a diverse community as we are, the key is discipleship as Jacob (James) encouraged in Acts during the Council of Jerusalem.  Those new to these practices and beliefs will learn as they go and apply as they feel.  The most important thing is for people to know why they do what they do, rather than having people do things because everybody else does.  If there's no kavanah (intention, passion, desire) in what we do, we do things in vain, IMO at least :)

Hope this helps
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2008 - 1:01PM #8
SonnyC
Well, it was an MJAA conference, the 2000 regional in LA, I believe it was. Maybe things have changed, that's great.

I'm here to talk, but it seems this thread is pretty slow.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2008 - 1:12PM #9
SonnyC
I apologize, I think I'm in error, it must have been a UMJC conference. Sorry, it's been several years. I just looked up their website, and they have a majority and minority opinion on this subject, maybe you know better where the issue is at currently, but that conference I went to was BIZARRE.

Here's the link to that page on the UMJS site:

http://www.umjc.net/content/view/21/58/

But as you say, that's got nothing to do with you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 3:54PM #10
Avimelech
Brachot Achi,

I am a truck driver and it is impossable for me to attend Church much at all, so I look to the internet for what fellowship I can find. I like reading Christian History and have began self learning Hebrew ( a slow process).
Not a lot of messianic sites on the myspace so I tried here as of late, Haven't found much here yet but am still looking. I ran into a friend who also believes in the Messianic way but her and her husband are isolated from it in their community, I am her one and only Friend here and I would like to see her find new friends here.
I am hopeing that you can help me out with all that and I have sent you a friend request.

Todah Achi
Avimelech
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook