Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 1:29PM #1
BeliefnetCheryl
Here's a topic from the old Deism board for further discussion:

MarkStephen

I would like to ask all Deists who are former Christians, what made you decide to leave the Christian faith?

I ask this not because I want to proselyze or talk anyone in to coming back to Christianity. I ask because I am genuinely interested. You have my respect while not necessarily my agreement.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 4:00PM #2
CHARLY0
[QUOTE=BeliefnetCheryl;496]Here's a topic from the old Deism board for further discussion:

MarkStephen

I would like to ask all Deists who are former Christians, what made you decide to leave the Christian faith?

I ask this not because I want to proselyze or talk anyone in to coming back to Christianity. I ask because I am genuinely interested. You have my respect while not necessarily my agreement.[/QUOTE]
Well, can I say that I am a Christian Deist??  What do you think?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 7:24AM #3
MindEntrapment
What is a Christian Deist?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 12:11AM #4
beyondhydrogen
It's not so much that I decided to leave the Christian faith as opposed to the fact that as I grew older I realized that what I now believe probably would  not technically fall into the category of Christian.

And, to be honest, while posting several years ago, some pople kept saying I was deist. So I checked out deism, and yeah, that label seemed to fit my belief system.

By the way I am still proud of my Christian heritage, imparted to me by my ma (god bless her soul) and my dad, a world war two vet, who both continue to be sources of inspiration
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 1:34AM #5
boldly_question
Can a Deist be a Christian?

Well, it depends on how you define "Christian."

Starting in 2 A.D., the Catholic Church spent lots of time and energy demonizing and exterminating other Christians they didn't like.  This continued into the 18th century in Europe and the 19th in Mexico. 

Protestants were persecuted but also joined in the persecution against so-called heretics.

The winners always call the shots, so Christianity, for most people, entails things like faith in the virgin birth, miracles, and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Not having faith in such things is anathema.

Deism is the polar opposite of this orthodox system.

You could, of course, define yourself as "Christian" in some other way, such as following Christ's moral precepts. This is what Thomas Jefferson did when he cut and pasted an edited version  of the Bible.

This brings us, I believe, into a new topic -- What is a valid definition of "Christian"?  If the previous definition is valid, then yes,  you can be a Christian Diest. 

Just remember that the winners, the big dogs, set the bar very high and do not take kindly to having their faithful toes stepped on.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2007 - 12:33PM #6
Fallenangel9
well, i suppose what defines a person as a christian is totaly between that person and their god.

But when it came to why I went back to the pagan path, i believe it had to do with their interpretation of the bible itself, and in the way they chose to share these thoughts.
For three years i attended a christian school (about 120 students + the odd faculty member) and everyday for three years i lived through the exact same message. Their Inspiring lectures became predictable. And the more i listened, the more i felt that something was not right (not neccessarily with christianity, but with this particular church). perhaps im just one of those twisted members of society who hates the norm. But something about it all bothered me.
By my second year there every one was up in my face (students too) about my choice to go back to wicca (the place i was at before i started attendance there).

Guess it works for some and turns others off.

Blessed be.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2007 - 12:20PM #7
warlordofks
Before I get to why I left Christianity, I must correct a falsehood stated in a other post. The Catholic Church didn't exist in 2 A.D.  After all. Jesus would only have been two years old at that time.

I left Christianity in 2000 at the age of 55. I'm a former Lay Youth Minister in two different Denominations, a former 2nd Grade Sunday School teacher, as well as an former Elder in the Mormon Church. I also helped in the Eucharist Services in both Lutheran & Episcopalian services. I also developed a course for the teens in the Church I belonged too on the many valuable contributions made by Women from the time of Eve, all the way through to the many Women in the Gospels & the Letters of Paul. I'm only talking about my background to show that I was very active in the Church.

Now despite all the above, my experiences as a Christian were to put it bluntly, pure hell. Starting in W.W. 2 when the Catholic Diocese in New York City declared that my older brother & I were illegitimate because my Mother Dared to marry a German Lutheran in a civil ceremony. As a child growing up in the 50's I was told over & over that the vicious abuse I & my siblings experienced at the hands of our father was God's will. Let's see. It was God's will that we be beaten with belts, sticks, & anything else he could get his hands on. It was God's will that I be pistol whipped & shot at. It was God's will that I be raped by my own father. And that God declared me to be a evil homosexual because of having a severe speech defect. I could go on about a lifetime of other experiences, but I think this very small portion will suffice. The final straw was two things. One. When my Mother was in the Hospital with a stroke & I requested a Pastoral visit & asked that she be added to the prayers of the people & neither was done. The Second was when I went to the Rector & told him I was having a crisis of Faith & needed to talk. He told me that if I was feeling this way, then perhaps I should find another Church Home.

One thing I've noticed since leaving is that the majority of Christians are very ignorant about the history of their faith & of how not only the Bible, but the different teachings & sacraments developed over the centuries. There are Pastors who don't even know who any of the early Church Fathers, like Justin Myrtyr, Origen, St John of Chrysostom, & many others were & how they influenced the Early Church & teachings. Studying the History also played a very significant part in my leaving Christianity. As well as studying about other older ancient Death & Resurrection Religions/Cults & other Religions in existence at that the of Jesus.

I haven't became an Atheist. I'm not sure what you could call me. I do believe in a Supreme Being of Pure Love. But I can no longer prove the Beings existence than anyone can prove the existence of whatever God/s they worship.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 2:29PM #8
ESTABIZ
As a child I grew up in a Christian environment not knowing about my Jewish hertiage.  I was sent to a boarding school run by the Catholic Nuns - Marist Sisters.  Around 14 I start to think that if J.C. was the Messiah - why was the world in such a mess.  Before you talk to me about the second coming - there is no mention of this in the Old Testatment.  Isiah. 

I also started to explore my Jewish Roots as was more comfortable with Judiasm then Christianity.  I convert formally around 21.  I am now 55.   Not regretted to decision and still have not desire to return to an easy life style.

Keeping Orthodox Judiaism - is much more demanding than Christanity - No I am not attempt to insult you.  In American you have Liberal, Convers. & Ordthox Jewish.

Both Islam and Judaism are fairly demanding religions.  However old style Catholic was also expect more of its followers as did Anglician.  Today there are not a lot of Christians that actually go to church, pray etc.  I would say lucky if 10%.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 2:29PM #9
ESTABIZ
As a child I grew up in a Christian environment not knowing about my Jewish hertiage.  I was sent to a boarding school run by the Catholic Nuns - Marist Sisters.  Around 14 I start to think that if J.C. was the Messiah - why was the world in such a mess.  Before you talk to me about the second coming - there is no mention of this in the Old Testatment.  Isiah. 

I also started to explore my Jewish Roots as was more comfortable with Judiasm then Christianity.  I convert formally around 21.  I am now 55.   Not regretted to decision and still have not desire to return to an easy life style.

Keeping Orthodox Judiaism - is much more demanding than Christanity - No I am not attempt to insult you.  In American you have Liberal, Convers. & Ordthox Jewish.

Both Islam and Judaism are fairly demanding religions.  However old style Catholic was also expect more of its followers as did Anglician.  Today there are not a lot of Christians that actually go to church, pray etc.  I would say lucky if 10%.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2007 - 3:09AM #10
cdbambrose
In the past year I have left the Assembly of God church (pentecostal Christianity) and have adopted a smattering of deist beliefs...which I am refining as well as I can, but it is taking some time.

I have collections of works by Thomas Paine, Voltaire, Newton (Arian technically, but beliefs carry over to some extent), Locke, and some Jefferson that I am currently reading and learning about. Now to why I left Christianity.

As I examined my faith upon becoming an adult (I'm getting ready for law school currently) I saw something missing in Christianity in general. All the 'feel good' messages that could be give are, and doctrine that maintains strong 'Protestant Work Ethic' is found, but what about the real teachings of Christ (I.E. "Love God and Love your neighbor...")? I found this missing in general. During this time I began taking higher level philosphy, history, and poli-sci courses that explained deism and why the Enlightenment was such a big deal throughout Europe and colonial America. I examined the beliefs held by many of these deists and found that I agreed (a life filled with reason, logic) and have been adopting them to my life. Unfortunately, when I go to visit my parents I go to their church still and play the game because I'm not ready to approach them about my  beliefs yet...Hopefully my story makes some sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook