Page 2 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome to the new Asatru & Northern Heathenry board!
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 9:51PM #11
John_T_Mainer
I am John Mainer, and I am Asatru.  I am a member of the Heathen Freehold of BC in western Canada, although I also derive a fair ammount of support through AsaParents, a network of resource sharing Asatru parents.
I was a solitary Odinist until having children, then I found the need to offer them a taste of a community that allowed them to be who they are, and not pretend to be browbeaten conformist Christians, or spiritless athiests.
I practice with fellow heathens in my community, and in the past year or two have become active orgainizing and hosting events.  My wife and I are also active in the community outside religious organizations.  We are those idiot volenteers that make the suburbs the domain of child activities.  Men and women of good heart, of whatever faiths, come together to strive for the shared good of our children; on this we build communities.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 11:56PM #12
Ancestral
[QUOTE=John_T_Mainer;5471]I am John Mainer, and I am Asatru.  I am a member of the Heathen Freehold of BC in western Canada, although I also derive a fair ammount of support through AsaParents, a network of resource sharing Asatru parents.[/QUOTE]

Hailsa John!

AsaParents sounds like a good resource. Could you post a link so I can look into that as well? My wife and I have two elementary school age children. We are homeschoolers.

In frith,

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 11:56PM #13
Ancestral
[QUOTE=John_T_Mainer;5471]I am John Mainer, and I am Asatru.  I am a member of the Heathen Freehold of BC in western Canada, although I also derive a fair ammount of support through AsaParents, a network of resource sharing Asatru parents.[/QUOTE]

Hailsa John!

AsaParents sounds like a good resource. Could you post a link so I can look into that as well? My wife and I have two elementary school age children. We are homeschoolers.

In frith,

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 9:50PM #14
John_T_Mainer
[QUOTE=Ancestral;5697]Hailsa John!

In frith,

Dave[/QUOTE]

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Asa-Parents

I think you'll find them a very useful group of people when it comes to childrens issues.  They are both an excellent sounding board, and an extremely wise group of people, some of whom have already had to deal with whatever problem you may encounter.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 9:53PM #15
AlmightyTim
I was on the old board, but mostly as a lurker.  About this time last year the folks on that board coached me through a rather trying time.

I consider myself an Asatruar, but mainly because that's the name I first encountered this brand of heathenry as and what I first associated with.  I'm not a part of any official organizations, and I generally practice alone (although I'd be happy to meet any other Asatruar in the Knoxville area).

My usual practice in honoring the gods is through poetry.  I've written a bit and I can often be found working on a bit more.  I don't showcase it very often but I'm working on expanding that.

I usually feel closest to Freyja and Freyr, the former because I'm just the kind of guy with his heart on his sleeve and appreciates the fairer sex, the latter because I am, to the best of my knowledge, of Swedish descent (but with a surname of Anderson it's hard to be sure).  I also owe a debt of gratitude to Odin and Bragi, who help me in my craft.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 11:23PM #16
Ancestral
[QUOTE=John_T_Mainer;7353]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Asa-Parents

I think you'll find them a very useful group of people when it comes to childrens issues.  They are both an excellent sounding board, and an extremely wise group of people, some of whom have already had to deal with whatever problem you may encounter.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much John! I just submitted my request to join so I look forward to participating in the discussions there as well.

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 10:05AM #17
tiffnzacsmom
Hmm, regular ole' solitary heathen here, sort of lurking, depends on how much free time I have, for the last year its been close to nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 2:53PM #18
Rimes_Glimmer
Heilsa the Hall!
I’ve taken the member name of Rime’s Glimmer to interact here at Beliefnet.

”What branch of modern Germanic religion do you consider yourself (Asatru, Irminism, Theodism, Forn Sed, ASH, just "regular ol' Heathen")?”

I consider myself to be an Asatruar. the focus of my interest in Heathenry tends to be Nordic.

”What do you like about being Asatru/Irminist/ASH/etc., what are your favorite aspects of your religion?”

I suppose it’s the comfort factor. Asatru fits like a comfortable pair of jeans. it’s intrinsic and natural.  the honor code appeals to me as well; chief among these the concept of personal responsibility.  I also like the rootedness of it. that being how it connects me to my ancestors, at least the European and Northern Isles ancestors.

”What are the particulars of your religious practice? Do you hold regular blot and sumbal, daily prayers, walks in the woods, or any other activity you consider religious/spiritual?”

I often sing Sigdrifa’s prayer in the morning. I also light a candle and speak my prayers of thanks and blessings to the Holy Regin in the first hours of the day. I blot, but it’s irregular. though I do blot and often hold feast on the holy tides and sumbel on 12th night. when I feel myself connected deeply to Jordh as I walk upon her, or Allfather in his wind, or Thor in the storm, these things do all carry to me something of religious/spiritual ecstasy.

”Are you solitary? Practice with a group? Practice just with family? Part of any national or regional organization?”

I am a member of the Troth. I have in the past been a member of the AFA as well. when my son visits we blot together and speak of our faith. there are a few other Heathens/Truar here in Idaho Falls, I’ve met 5 so far. currently 3 of us are attending monthly rune group meetings that I, along with another Heathen here, are leading. the body of that group membership does hold some neos and new agers, but they are all goodly folk and it is enriching to speak and share of the runes in such a way. for the most part my time as an Asatruar has been solitary other than net contact. I have, however, been greatly blessed in who I know long distance. I’ve been lucky in those I speak to often. though space may fall between us that space is bridged by chat, e-mail, groups, and sometimes the phone.

”Is there any particularly Deity (or more than one, if you please) that you feel particularly close to? What do you do regularly to worship/honor/otherwise interact with this/these Deity(ies)?”

Allfather, Frigga, and Var; these are who I hold the closest troth to. I interact in prayer, in blot, and in journey. I seek to honor these as I honor myself by living in a right relationship with the Web of Wyrd. I also hold close to my kin fetch, my personal fetch, and my disr.

like many Truar I write poetry. I also do computer illustrations that generally honor the godhs. and for Frigga, I like to keep a clean house.

”Is there anything unique about your own personal spirituality or practices that you'd like to share?”

lol! weeeeeell, if you all will promise to keep the over-ripe tomatoes to yourselves . . .
,]
I feel that my maternal grandfather guides me. he died when I was a babe in arms. but I feel that he passed my kin fetch on to me. I feel that he was a spae-madhr. he’s abilities of prescience were well known amongst my kin despite his having tried to keep them secret. I believe, though I have no proof of it other than my own spiritual work, ie:UPG, that his line of Nordic Scots kept to the Old Believes. and that if he had lived to see me old enough to physically pass those things on that he would have. I believe that he is hauberti to me, a guardian along the line of the disr, but male.

I think that all Truar are unique in some way, or ways. it takes a special fortitude, insight, and courage to embrace and live as Heathen.

frith and bliss,
Rime’s Glimmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 4:56PM #19
Walsung1of9
Hail Friends!

Just me.  Good to see so many made it over here.  Have been following Odin since I don't know how long.  *forgot the rest of the questions*.

Jeri
<>
Futur Frau Doktor Jeri
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 7:39PM #20
Chicagoheathen
What branch of modern Germanic religion do you consider yourself (Asatru, Irminism, Theodism, Forn Sed, ASH, just "regular ol' Heathen")?

I consider myself Asatru, more because that is the group I am most affiliated with, though of the Germanic people, I feel the most kinship with the Anglo-Saxons, so I look to them for some of my values. So, Asatru/Heathen, I guess.

What do you like about being Asatru/Irminist/ASH/etc., what are your favorite aspects of your religion?

What I like best is that my life has meaning, the sum total of it isn't negated. I love that I myself must guide my own conduct and honor, and that my gods are strong, and expect me to try my best, but also expect me to be human. I love having the faith of a proud and free people.

What are the particulars of your religious practice? Do you hold regular blot and sumbal, daily prayers, walks in the woods, or any other activity you consider religious/spiritual?

I hold blot and sumbel at the holy tides, and for other special occasions. I will pour out an offering after strong storms (sometimes before), and also before performing my songs. I sing to the gods, I try to accept what is holy in even the most mundane things. Walks on the beach can be very sacred, or walks at sunrise/sunset. And often, writing my songs or singing them is holy and sacred.

Are you solitary? Practice with a group? Practice just with family? Part of any national or regional organization?

I am a member of the Oak Shadow Kindred in Illinois. I am not currently a member of any national group, though intend to be once I have a job again.

Is there any particularly Deity (or more than one, if you please) that you feel particularly close to? What do you do regularly to worship/honor/otherwise interact with this/these Deity(ies)?

There are some gods, yes, with whom I feel closer than others, though I am not always sure why. Tyr, and Thor, storm-bringer, because I love storms. Njord and Ran, because I have lived less than a half-mile from the shores of Lake Michigan for all of my life, save for two horrid years where I lived in Colorado after college. So I love the lake, even in her wild moods, even when the waves are the ship-sinking ones of winter, when she lashes at the shore like a wild thing. And, being a scop, I feel close to Odin, my inspiration and insight and goad.

Is there anything unique about your own personal spirituality or practices that you'd like to share?

I am not sure how unique it is, but I will share nonetheless. Being a poet, a scop or skald, if you will, I am quite aware of the long line of them who have gone before me, the breath and song of the past, as it were. So for me, to honor my ancestors, to honor the gods, is through song. To see beyond what seems real in seeming, I sing, or play. To me, sight comes with song, wisdom comes on the wind's whispering. And I hope that makes some vague sort of sense, because I'm not sure if it does.

In frith,
CH
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook