Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What have you learned?
2 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2015 - 9:13PM #1
Upperlimits
Just curious....

What have you learned during your time at BNET?

Have you ever been moved, or persuaded by anything, or anybody?

Has your time at BNET made an impact in your life, or your way of looking at the world?

Feel free to answer any, or all...    

~UL

(No debates, please. This is just the way YOU see it.)
According to 2nd Corinthians 3:2, there are five gospels in the world. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and the Epistle of ones own life.  Most people will probably never read the first four.

God desires that our lives would bear spiritual fruit - not religious nuts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2015 - 6:18AM #2
five_point_dad

I've been a life-long observer of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.  There is something about this organization that has fascinated me for most of my life.  There is a biblical doctrine commonly called "Total Inability" or sometimes referred to as "Total Depravity."  It says that unsaved people hear God's Word and all they hear is the babbling of a moron, which is the wording of I Cor. 1:18.  Man is spiritually blinded by Satan (2 Cor. 4:3-4) and rendered deaf to the gospel (John 8:43).  He is spiritually dead (Eph. 2:1), not injured, or wounded; but dead.  If nothing else, I think through my experience in reading Jehovah's Witnesses' comments on this site I've come to realize how correct that is.  I don't understand how anyone can embrace the teachings of this organization that is quite clearly so far removed from anything Christian. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2015 - 8:02AM #3
Goodtobehomestill

I learned I would rather love you all 'from afar' rather than 'wrangle' (Matthew 12:19) with any one of you. Smile

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.”
― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2015 - 10:11AM #4
Kemmer

After reading the WT and AWAKE since the late 50s, puchased from door-knockers, I was surprised there are JWs who are even more off the wall than the magazines would indicate.

The magazines aren't quite as goofy and condemnatory as they once were, way back when.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2015 - 4:41AM #5
Hmmm

Oct 8, 2015 -- 8:02AM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

I learned I would rather love you all 'from afar' rather than debate with any one of you. :)'

Yes, that makes sense. Why debate with anyone when there's a chance that you'll lose. Wink

The truth, the whole truth...and nothing but the truth?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2015 - 4:46AM #6
Hmmm

Oct 7, 2015 -- 9:13PM, Upperlimits wrote:

Just curious....

What have you learned during your time at BNET?

Have you ever been moved, or persuaded by anything, or anybody?

Has your time at BNET made an impact in your life, or your way of looking at the world?

Feel free to answer any, or all...    

~UL

(No debates, please. This is just the way YOU see it.)

Since I'm assuming that your question is DJW related, I have learned how dishonest and evasive and delusional and in denial that JWs are(because they are so full of themselves and so convinced that they have the 'Truth') when they are pressed, and when they are presented with evidence that something is wrong with their doctrines.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 11:05AM #7
Goodtobehomestill

Oct 9, 2015 -- 4:41AM, Hmmm wrote:

I learned I would rather love you all 'from afar' rather than debate with any one of you. :)'

Yes, that makes sense. Why debate with anyone when there's a chance that you'll lose.

I think the only thing I can lose is peace, if and when I allow myself to be drawn into an argument.  (And it is an argument, if it can be described in terms of 'win' or 'lose.)    I learned I love expressing what I believe, but that when it devolves into disputing, I lost a lot.  So I learned that imitating Christ by not 'wrangling' is truly wise.  So that was truly a gain.  

― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 12:39PM #8
eloquens

Oct 10, 2015 -- 11:05AM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

Yes, that makes sense. Why debate with anyone when there's a chance that you'll lose.

I think the only thing I can lose is peace, if and when I allow myself to be drawn into an argument.  (And it is an argument, if it can be described in terms of 'win' or 'lose.)    I learned I love expressing what I believe, but that when it devolves into disputing, I lost a lot.  So I learned that imitating Christ by not 'wrangling' is truly wise.  So that was truly a gain.  

Well, you can't argue with that.  Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 9:12PM #9
Hmmm

Oct 10, 2015 -- 12:39PM, eloquens wrote:

Oct 10, 2015 -- 11:05AM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

Well, you can't argue with that.  

Jehovah's Witnesses can't...but scripture can:

1 Peter 3:15 ESV

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

2 Corinthians 10:5 ESV

We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

Titus 1:9 ESV

He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

However, in threads such as Will Jehovah's Witnesses Eat Meat In The New System?, your main doctrine of a paradise earth with no predation is being shredded. And only with honest reasoning and honest arguments. Therefore, why hasn't Goodtobehome stepped foot in that thread?

Also, what if potential Bible studies have read this forum and have read the above mentioned thread? How will Jehovah's Witnesses give honest answers to valid questions related to the above topic?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2015 - 10:15AM #10
Goodtobehomestill

You believe what we believe is being 'shredded.'  Laughing

But a big thing about what we believe we know is that there is a lot we do not know.

We know the Bible says the 'lion will lay down with the lamb' etc.  How this will come about the Bible doesn't detail.  You can rail on all you like that it's wrong, not possible, etc. but anything is possible.

I mean seriously.  Here you and I from possibly thousands of miles apart are talking about the Bible over little wires and plastic keyboards.  One hundred years ago you could have quite correctly argued that such a thing could not occur.  With things as they existed then, of course they could not.

God's kingdom is going to be different, that's all.  It's not called a 're-creation' for nothing.  What is not possible with God?  If man can create this amazing internet, I think the Source of all creation can create peace among animals with all of their dietary needs provided for in some fashion.  

Life is so amazing, and only about to get more amazing.  

― Epictetus

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook