Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View OT: Scary movies, are you watching any for Halloween?
2 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2015 - 10:28PM #1
rideronthastorm

ALso you can list you favorite scary movies here.Im now watching The Shining with Jack Nicolson. Yea I know scary movies are metaphors for serial killers but I also believe they are metaphors for wife beaters,abusive men. Watching Jack Nicolson walk around freaked out angry knocking things over creeps me out! Hes so freaky.

Among my favorites, Halloween, Halloween 2 ,Halloween H20, The Shining, Carrie, The Initiation Of Sara,Whatever Happened To Baby Jane,Children Of The Corn,The Lost Boys,Interview With A Vampire,Nightmare On Elm Street,When A Stranger Calls Again,Psycho, The Birds,House On Haunted Hill,House Of Usher many more Ill remember more later.

What do you think about the wife beater metaphor?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2015 - 9:13AM #2
Utilyan

I'm going to be bummed out with no beliefnet :C

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2015 - 11:01AM #3
Jenandew7

I love horror movies.  The Shining is great.  But I have no plans for any.  I haven't got a TV.  :(

Like Utilyan, I'll miss BNET.  I guess it is my main entertainment since I am trying to avoid FB.

Maybe I will do something brilliant like create a cat comic strip . . . er something. 

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2015 - 10:15PM #4
rideronthastorm

I just watched Room 237, a movie made about how The Shinning was made and what it was about.

Its a movie that has so many many hiden meanings and messages hidden in it that its got a ton of symbolic metaphors that you cant even count them.

It means alot of things. Snaps, give me snaps for recognizing a movie thats got meanings and metaphors whoopi!

It doesnt specifically say wife beaters , Jack Nicolson representing the wife beater. It is representative of the Indian American war and our denial of what happened and the Jewish Holocoast and our denial of it.

It is also about sex abuse, theres a hidden message about sex abuse that puts the message in your head that Jack was sexually abused:

it also says the falling apart of AMerican family and the war the family is at and sexually speaking the twisted perversion jack had gone to.

So it insinuates it could be a symbol of the abusive husband. It also says it says that Jack had a past in his family and the designs represent his ancester past and it says hes avoiding it, instead of dealing with the past like he should.

Theres a whole bunch of subliminal messages in this movie with the designs and shapes and patterns, the way they walk backwards the patterns they make. The typewriter was a German brand.It also says its symbolic for us being in denial about our Nazi past.

Theres a bunch of stuff I cant write down. But in the end it says we should all put ourselves in this film and realize what metaphors for our lives it represents to us.

Thats what i did YA FOR ME! Jack Nicolson represents one of the psycho abusive guys I ran into being sexual with different guys......................................................an  abusive stalker.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2015 - 8:58PM #5
Brainscramble

No ma'am.  They are interesting, but involve so much demonic stuff that I just won't do it.

To our almighty God and Father (of Christ and ourselves):  "Show them you alone are JEHOVAH, the Most High over all the earth."  (Psalm 83:18)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2015 - 1:32PM #6
Iwantamotto

Horror movies are hilarious.  Why condemn them to just Halloween?  :D

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2015 - 5:59PM #7
Brainscramble

I guess they do have them all year.  I get sick when I see the previews on T.V. because I know that demons are real, and they influence people in many terrible ways.

To our almighty God and Father (of Christ and ourselves):  "Show them you alone are JEHOVAH, the Most High over all the earth."  (Psalm 83:18)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2015 - 12:38PM #8
Jenandew7

Oct 9, 2015 -- 5:59PM, Brainscramble wrote:

I guess they do have them all year.  I get sick when I see the previews on T.V. because I know that demons are real, and they influence people in many terrible ways.

The problem here, it seems, is a confusion between fiction and reality.  Screenwriters are merely writers who try to write spectacular stuff that sells.  Reality has nothing to do with it other than attempting to making it believable and exciting enough at the same time that the producers can make a money making film.  And some of that gets really far fetched. 

Even the ones based on fact are exagerated for effect.  It simply is not real.

People, especially the young, like horror.  That fact is more interesting to me from a religious perspective than the content of the films.  What draws us to be fascinated by something that would be so horrible to experience in reality.

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2015 - 8:34AM #9
Dostojevsky

Oct 9, 2015 -- 5:59PM, Brainscramble wrote:

Exactly. Why bring the garbage into your house (mind).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2015 - 10:05AM #10
Iwantamotto

Jenandew7: People, especially the young, like horror. That fact is more interesting to me from a religious perspective than the content of the films. What draws us to be fascinated by something that would be so horrible to experience in reality.

Personally, I feel it has to do with "life is way boring" and horror, action, etc ... they all spice things up. However, even if your life sucks so bad that it would make a good horror movie, exploring such fears in fiction allow us to explore our feelings and become victors over our fear.

I mean this completely honestly and without snark, but re-enacting the passion and such is probably a similar thing: replaying horrific scenes so you can get to the happy ending and declare victory over the horror.

Dostojevsky: Exactly. Why bring the garbage into your house (mind).

For the same reason people read books to their children about a flooded planet, bears eating children, nations being founded by tricksters and murderers and rapists, etc.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook