Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View Get Back in the Kitchen, Sayeth the Lord
Show More
Flag Kwinters February 11, 2015 12:26 PM EST
A few thoughts on how religion influences our perceptions and expectations related to gender.

Flag christine3 February 11, 2015 1:57 PM EST

Equal or nothing!

Flag christine3 February 11, 2015 1:58 PM EST

Feb 11, 2015 -- 1:57PM, christine3 wrote:

Equal or nothing!

Give me equality or give me death!

Flag Kwinters February 12, 2015 2:53 AM EST

Feb 11, 2015 -- 1:57PM, christine3 wrote:

Equal or nothing!

It is pretty suprising to me how much society tolerates blatant sexism.  

Here is a question, what would a gender equal society look like?

Flag JCarlin February 12, 2015 11:26 AM EST

Feb 12, 2015 -- 2:53AM, Kwinters wrote:

Here is a question, what would a gender equal society look like?

Almost any Heinlien novel including the Juveniles.  The women characters are almost always more equal in brains and competence than the men.  The only problem feminists have with Heinlein is that the women generally are interested in contributing their more than equal genes to the gene pool.  Nothing unusual, most of the women I know about who are in the feminist trenches being more competent than the average man in their chosen work are interested in contributing their more than equal genes to the gene pool as well.  They generally choose men who have been brought up to be partners rather than "husbands" and who use their male privilege to support their partner. 

Case in point: A well educated, extremely intelligent and broadly competent man (brought up by a dual career couple) did odd jobs throughout his partner's US military supported medical training, required service in a base ER, and residency; fathering and parenting 2 children in the process.  The doctor took over a small metropolitan area family practice, which needed a practice manager as well so that odd job fell to the partner.  Those of you from the yellow boards on this forum will appreciate knowing what gooddogma-sit and Tarakyan have been doing since they got too busy to post here.  Yep.  True story.

Flag christine3 February 12, 2015 12:37 PM EST

True story. I knew a man who majored in chemistry, loved beer and got some training in a special class at the university in the beer lab. Graduated and was hired to work at a Anhauser Busch. Met a woman who owned her own financial consulting firm. He was the one who wanted children, so she did that for him. Her company has always done well and he didn't have to work anymore.

Running the house plus raising a child is more work than an 8-hour job. He does housework, shopping, cooking, changed diapers, took son for walks in the stroller, read stories at bedtime, fed and dressed, bandaged owwies. He drives to activities and is the main emotional provider for his son. His and wife's [societally-prescribed] roles are completely reversed. Their child just turned 13 and is immensely secure and well adjusted. 

Flag JCarlin February 12, 2015 2:25 PM EST

Feb 12, 2015 -- 12:37PM, christine3 wrote:

He was the one who wanted children, so she did that for him. Her company has always done well and he didn't have to work anymore.

Running the house plus raising a child is more work than an 8-hour job. He does housework, shopping, cooking, changed diapers, took son for walks in the stroller, read stories at bedtime, fed and dressed, bandaged owwies. He drives to activities and is the main emotional provider for his son. His and wife's [societally-prescribed] roles are completely reversed. Their child just turned 13 and is immensely secure and well adjusted.

I know a few role reversal families.  Similar story man wants the kids successful woman says OK I'll make them you take care of them. 

I know many more dual career shared parenting households.  One of the incomes pays for the nanny and house maintenance services, always an amusing argument about whose income that is, but both share the real parenting chores. 

Flag MMarcoe February 13, 2015 1:26 PM EST

Feb 12, 2015 -- 2:25PM, JCarlin wrote:

Feb 12, 2015 -- 12:37PM, christine3 wrote:

He was the one who wanted children, so she did that for him. Her company has always done well and he didn't have to work anymore.

I know a few role reversal families.  Similar story man wants the kids successful woman says OK I'll make them you take care of them. 

I know many more dual career shared parenting households.  One of the incomes pays for the nanny and house maintenance services, always an amusing argument about whose income that is, but both share the real parenting chores. 

Well, I like to cook while my girlfriend watches football.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook