Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 28  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Next
Switch to Forum Live View why can't women receive priestess-hood?
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 1:56AM #1
Aka_me

news.msn.com/us/group-seeks-mormon-pries...

these women are VERY misguided, approaching church leaders won't accomplish anything. the women need to question God... for designing the church this way in the first place.

why God can't bother leading the effort to heal society's racial and gender problems?

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 2:56PM #2
mecdukebec

100 years hence, women will be able to hold the "priesthood."

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 6:20PM #3
Ironhold

Like so many others in the media, you seem to forget that the women of the church not only have their own specific responsibilities, but were also making history long before most of today's "feminists" even existed.

Among other things, the Relief Society is the oldest continuous womens' auxiliary in the US and the "Mormon Women Bloc" was so feared that Congress once passed a law preventing women in Utah from voting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 6:35PM #4
mecdukebec

Oct 9, 2013 -- 6:20PM, Ironhold wrote:

Like so many others in the media, you seem to forget that the women of the church not only have their own specific responsibilities, but were also making history long before most of today's "feminists" even existed.

Among other things, the Relief Society is the oldest continuous womens' auxiliary in the US and the "Mormon Women Bloc" was so feared that Congress once passed a law preventing women in Utah from voting.

So, women's halcyon days in LDS history are past.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 6:45PM #5
Ironhold

Oct 9, 2013 -- 6:35PM, mecdukebec wrote:

No; the legacy is still on-going with every single new LDS woman on the planet.

Thing is, the mainstream media and most critics of the church refuse to admit this, if they even know about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 7:11PM #6
mecdukebec

Oct 9, 2013 -- 6:45PM, Ironhold wrote:

Oct 9, 2013 -- 6:35PM, mecdukebec wrote:

No; the legacy is still on-going with every single new LDS woman on the planet.

Thing is, the mainstream media and most critics of the church refuse to admit this, if they even know about it.

In brief, women are women so long as they obey the men.  Packaged antiques are still that. 

A scene:

Then, blocked with a garbage truck:

"A picture worth a thousand words."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 10:01PM #7
Aka_me

for a single mother to not be capable of baptising or blessing her own children...

is a separate issue from all the good things the Relief Society has done.

yes, the RS does many great things, having nothing what-so-ever to do with answering the question why a mother can't bless or baptise?

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 10:39PM #8
Ironhold

Oct 9, 2013 -- 10:01PM, Aka_me wrote:

for a single mother to not be capable of baptising or blessing her own children...

is a separate issue from all the good things the Relief Society has done.

yes, the RS does many great things, having nothing what-so-ever to do with answering the question why a mother can't bless or baptise?

Different organizations, different purposes.

If you'd studied the church even half as much as you claimed to have, you'd know this.

Furthermore, one of the early articles on the matter quite literally had the woman leading the charge saying that the entire reason why she wanted inside was because she wanted people to look at her. An ego of such magnitude is, generally speaking, not conducive to a successful religious event.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 11:26PM #9
Svetlana

Iron, don't even bother.  Your church is one of the most misogynistic on the planet, and even your leaders don't bother denying it.  (They don't admit it, they just change the subject.)  Relief Soiety?  Oh, you mean that group of women who may, if they ask nicely, get permission from some man for anything they wish to do?  Who MUST have everything approved by some man?  THAT organization? 

Women voting?  Under Brigham Young, even men couldn't vote as they thought right, ALL had to vote as BY told them to.  This "right" to vote had nothing whatsoever to do with equality of women, it had everything, and only, to do with giving BY more votes.

Your church teaches that the principles of polyandry were based on the time and law of Abraham.  At that time, women were considered literally mere livestock, so very sub-human, they were not even thought to have souls.  Oh, yes, your church's teachings on the role of women were certainly established by Abraham's precedent, even if women were granted souls.  They remained livestock, and have barely been accounted as fully human since.  THAT is why they can't hold the priesthood, of course, because the church officially doesn't consider them competent.  You cannot deny this.  The documented history of your church confirms this over and over and over again.  The foundations of your church's treatment of women is based on the cultural habits of Abraham's time, when women were not considered fully human.  And it shows!

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2013 - 11:37PM #10
li47

Furthermore, one of the early articles on the matter quite literally had the woman leading the charge saying that the entire reason why she wanted inside was because she wanted people to look at her. An ego of such magnitude is, generally speaking, not conducive to a successful religious event.

Ironhold, I read the article you're referencing, and my reading of what she said is very different from your interpretation of her words. I don't think she was statingthat as her motive at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 28  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook