Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Paul preaching that celibacy trumps marriage proves he was an apocalypticist.
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 8:07AM #1
Daldianus

Because why would you preach something like that if not because you expect the imminent end of the world?

1 Cor 7: I wish that everyone was as I am. But each has his own gift from God, one this way, another that. 8 To the unmarried and widows I say that it is best for them to remain as I am.

If everyone would actually follow that advice then humanity would die out within a hundred years!

So why would a non-apocalypticist, if you view Paul like this, preach something like that? Especially since also Paul clearly refers to the end of this world that he's expecting (the 'impending crisis'):

1 Cor 7:25 With regard to the question about people who have never married, I have no command from the Lord, but I give my opinion as one shown mercy by the Lord to be trustworthy. 26 Because of the impending crisis I think it best for you to remain as you are. 29 And I say this, brothers and sisters: The time is short. So then those who have wives should be as those who have none. 31 For is passing away

Again: why tell people who are already married not to have sex either if not because you think that it makes no sense anymore to create new children when the end is so clearly at hand?

1 Cor 7:32 I want you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the things of the world, how to please his wife, and he is divided.

So the married man is a lesser man because he isn't just concerned about the things of the Lord and how to please him!

>> Feed your brain with awesome!
“After your death you will be what you were before your birth.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
"Eternity is very long, especially towards the end." - Woody Allen
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 8:39AM #2
matica

There could be a belief that the reason why paul said this was because he was gay, that was his affliction.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 8:47AM #3
Daldianus

Jul 12, 2013 -- 8:39AM, matica wrote:

There could be a belief that the reason why paul said this was because he was gay, that was his affliction.

That doesn't make much sense though, given what he says there.

Also, it doesn't address the point about apocalypticism I was making.

“After your death you will be what you were before your birth.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 9:01AM #4
Thomas A Quinas

Jul 12, 2013 -- 8:07AM, Daldianus wrote:

Again: why tell people who are already married not to have sex either if not because you think that it makes no sense anymore to create new children when the end is so clearly at hand?

What in heavens are you talking about?  Where exactly does Paul advise those already married not to have sex?

"Our Lord needs from us neither great deeds nor profound thoughts, neither intelligencenor talents. He cherishes simplicity."-- St. Theresa of Lisieux
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 9:03AM #5
Iwantamotto

Daldianus:  1 Cor 7: I wish that everyone was as I am. But each has his own gift from God, one this way, another that. 8 To the unmarried and widows I say that it is best for them to remain as I am.

Amusingly enough, it's the one time me an' Paul agree on something, but for different reasons.

So the married man is a lesser man because he isn't just concerned about the things of the Lord and how to please him!

But Daldi ... marriage is just so sacred and wonderful and ... oh, wait ....

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 9:12AM #6
miknik5

Oy vey!

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 9:14AM #7
Daldianus

Jul 12, 2013 -- 9:01AM, Thomas A Quinas wrote:

Jul 12, 2013 -- 8:07AM, Daldianus wrote:

What in heavens are you talking about?  Where exactly does Paul advise those already married not to have sex?

What I meant was that Paul WISHED that everyone was able NOT to have sex (and thus not to create children anymore), just like himself. And why would he wish this if not because he thought the End was very near?

1 Cor 7:5 Do not deprive each other, except by mutual agreement for a specified time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then resume your relationship, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that everyone was as I am.

So it is clear that, for Paul, celibacy trumps marriage (and thus sex) big time. Marriage is for the weak who still want to have sex (which tends results in babies, if unprotected).

If everyone was like him Humanity wouldn't exist another 100 years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 9:15AM #8
Daldianus

Jul 12, 2013 -- 9:12AM, miknik5 wrote:

Oy vey!

?

Can you prove my arguments from the OP wrong?

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 9:16AM #9
miknik5

Jul 12, 2013 -- 9:15AM, Daldianus wrote:

Oy vey!

?

I don't want to. I'm really not very interested in the nonsense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 12, 2013 - 9:22AM #10
Daldianus

Jul 12, 2013 -- 9:16AM, miknik5 wrote:

Jul 12, 2013 -- 9:15AM, Daldianus wrote:

Oy vey!

?

I don't want to. I'm really not very interested in the nonsense.

lol

You call it nonsense because you can't prove it wrong. And because Paul's text is very clear on these matters :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook