Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 27  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hi, I was born and raised Jewish-let me explain why I'm here.
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2013 - 3:55PM #1
Theisticevolutionevangelical1
Hello, I was born and raised Jewish and now I go to a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) church. That is beside the point of this post, my comment is that I love Jewish family and friends and Judaism still and as long as we Christians and Jews reconcile Science and faith we will be relevant in the 21st century. My question is I'm assuming most people in here who are Jewish believe that the Earth is 4.6 Billion Years old give or take and if not how has the literal interpretation of the Tanakh taken your focus a way from science or are some of you in here into the intelligent design Judaism movement.?? Baruch Hashem and L'chaim.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2013 - 7:06PM #2
rocketjsquirell

As a rule, Jews are not Bible "literalists" in the manner of some Christians.

Your question is not particularly applicable to the Jewish world view, as there is no real  conflict between science and Judaism. You might find this short presentation by Rabbi Sachs informative on this issue.

Science versus Religion - Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks BBC

"Religion and science are frequently set up as polar opposites; incompatible ways of thinking. The Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks begs to differ. For him, science and religion can, and should, work together"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipDdd1SISoM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2013 - 8:34PM #3
LeahOne

I suppose this means the ID folks have been claiming that 'some of us (ID 'ministry') are Jewish'? 

I tend to doubt anyone who accepts 'Answers in Genesis' or such as a reliable source of information, is a person who has anything but a very literal understanding of the Tanakh - which has never been part of the Jewish tradition in any stream nor at any time.

You can read more about the Jewish discussion on ID - which is a very broad category! - at this link.

www.myjewishlearning.com/beliefs/Issues/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2013 - 8:37PM #4
LeahOne

Personally, I view Dembski and his pals at the 'Creation Institute' as simply more filthy proselytizers who try to present 'Creationism in a lab coat'.  Scientists do not have 'missions'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2013 - 9:54PM #5
Pam34

That's so ridiculous it is hardly worth commenting on. And anybody 'born and raised' Jewish should know better from day one.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2013 - 9:24AM #6
LeahOne

Pam, the posting style and length of ID seems very familiar......this is a 'game' that's been going on here for about 4-5 years now.  Just another clueless attempt to 'subtly' proselytize us, as far as I'm concerned.

Does any proselyte here want to go over to their former Christian sect's 'Discussion' board just to give them the news that you're an apostate who 'still loves' the body of Christ they've renounced?

I've never seen anyone here behave in such a rude and heartless fashion......  and I hope I never do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2013 - 12:42PM #7
mainecaptain

I grow so weary of people claiming to have been Jewish and now belong to some Christian church or another, I can only imagine how unpleasant it must be for all of you.  Sad this happens

Nothing can be more rude or incosiderate then to come and preach in this way, nasty thing to do.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2013 - 1:52PM #8
miknik5

May 1, 2013 -- 9:24AM, LeahOne wrote:

Pam, the posting style and length of ID seems very familiar......this is a 'game' that's been going on here for about 4-5 years now.  Just another clueless attempt to 'subtly' proselytize us, as far as I'm concerned.

Does any proselyte here want to go over to their former Christian sect's 'Discussion' board just to give them the news that you're an apostate who 'still loves' the body of Christ they've renounced?

I've never seen anyone here behave in such a rude and heartless fashion......  and I hope I never do.

What do you mean by your second paragraph? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2013 - 1:53PM #9
miknik5

Apr 30, 2013 -- 7:06PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

As a rule, Jews are not Bible "literalists" in the manner of some Christians.

Your question is not particularly applicable to the Jewish world view, as there is no real  conflict between science and Judaism. You might find this short presentation by Rabbi Sachs informative on this issue.

Science versus Religion - Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks BBC

"Religion and science are frequently set up as polar opposites; incompatible ways of thinking. The Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks begs to differ. For him, science and religion can, and should, work together"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipDdd1SISoM

In the end, who is sovereign?  GOD...or science?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2013 - 2:36PM #10
Shusha

May 1, 2013 -- 1:52PM, miknik5 wrote:

May 1, 2013 -- 9:24AM, LeahOne wrote:

What do you mean by your second paragraph? 

She means it would be rude of me to go over to the Discuss Christianity board, and claim that I still love all the Christians there, even though I believe in Judaism now and the Christians are wrong. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 27  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook