Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 73 of 73  •  Prev 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73
Switch to Forum Live View The Jewish Messiah: Is He a Man or a Supernatural Being?
4 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2013 - 10:20AM #721
Dostojevsky

Jul 20, 2013 -- 9:39AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Jul 19, 2013 -- 3:36PM, Bunsinspace wrote:

Jul 18, 2013 -- 10:37AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

The term is in Jewish encyclopedia.

BS"D

It is also in just about every English dictionary on the internet - almost every one of which identifies it as "offensive."   One would have to be very blind indeed not to know that.

Well... BSD, as Leah said, woop-tee-dooo*

No, I did not know. I never heard the expression before I heard it here.

As I was intrigued as why it would be offensive I thought the best place to find out is Jewish Encyclopedia and never thought you'd give more credability to an ordinary dictionary.

post 599:

Jul 18, 2013 -- 10:37AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Jul 15, 2013 -- 4:51PM, Bunsinspace wrote:

BS"D

I agree.  It would be like Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. using the term Negress.  In this era it is purely racist terminology.

Sine I have been so rudely corrected, I have seen the term 'Jewess' few times and did not bother further, but now seeing it in Israeli newspapers, perhaps you guys need to learn a thing or two. If some Jews decide to re-write English dictionary, it DOES NOT mean the world has to jump in and go along with it. Teach your people we are doing just fine:)

Enjoy the article*

blogs.timesofisrael.com/parano-semitism-...

Dov Frishberg

Parano-Semitism occurs when a Jew or Jewess exhibits persistent anxiety, obsessive thoughts, compulsive behavior or irritability typically leading to sadness and even depression in response to perceived but non-existent manifestations of anti-Semitism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2013 - 5:29PM #722
Bunsinspace

Oct 3, 2013 -- 10:20AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Well... BSD, as Leah said, woop-tee-dooo*

BS"D

LOL!!!   You really MUST stop using terms you do not understand in a sentence unless you really want everyone who reads it to die from laughing so hard.

As I was intrigued as why it would be offensive I thought the best place to find out is Jewish Encyclopedia and never thought you'd give more credability to an ordinary dictionary.

If human language were unchanging and static your reasoning would be correct.  But since language is always evolving your comparison of authorities makes absolutely no logical sense.  Contemporary dictionaries will ALWAYS be a more accurate rendering of the contemporary use of language than older definitions.   Almost ALL obscene words were not obscenities as they were first used by their respective speakers.  They BECAME obscenities by the rampant use of them later as pejorative epithets by small-minded and heartless peoples.  If you wish to be one of them you are welcome to be known as such.  I would hope you would not choose to do so.

I see you still fail to understand.   It is like the Australian word "Abo."   Originally it was not an offensive term and would be acceptable in any official historical correspondence you could quote.  But as language evolved in the 1950's it became an offensive term.  If you are ignorant and want to advertise that fact please continue to use words such as "Jewess" and  "Abo" and everyone will associate your posts with either racism or ignorance.

Sine I have been so rudely corrected, I have seen the term 'Jewess' few times and did not bother further, but now seeing it in Israeli newspapers, perhaps you guys need to learn a thing or two.

This is REALLY amazing!   What is the national language of Israel?   If I want the current meaning of an English word do I ask a native of Russia?   Your observation in this regard is too stupid to even discuss.

Teach your people we are doing just fine:)

Maybe you need to study languages instead of believing you understand them all?  Who is "we?"  Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Here is a current example - see if you can understand:

tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_docume...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2013 - 6:01AM #723
Dostojevsky

"

BS"D

LOL!!!   You really MUST stop using terms you do not understand in a sentence unless you really want everyone who reads it to die from laughing so hard."

ha ha ha

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2013 - 11:02AM #724
LeahOne

Sep 8, 2013 -- 11:17AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Rocket, bud-out;)

NO.  You meant 'butt' out.    www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/butt%... 

BSD and I are having converstion.

Buns and you are having a conversation:  he's being nice even though you refuse to get his ID correct. 

It is Judaism because BSD wrote it. Whether it's different from your version that's another thing.

I am asking questions because I do not want to have erronious ideas about Judaism.

REALLY?  How about your erroneous idea that 'Jews themselves will tell you tehy do not obey the law of the land, and work to have Talmud adopted as the law of the land instead?"

Jews themselves have been telling you the complete OPPOSITE of the above - and you still have insisted that what you 'know' is right.

What I was asking has not been answered.

Then maybe you asked in a way nobody was able to understand:  that happens..... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2013 - 3:22PM #725
river8101

"It Ain't Necessarily So"   FROM THE OPERA PORGY & BESS - MUSIC AND LYRICS BY GEORGE & IRA GERSHWIN.                DEDICATED TO DOSTOJEVSKY WHO BELIEVES THE SILLIEST THINGS.

It ain't necessarily so
It ain't necessarily so
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible,
It ain't necessarily so.

Now David was small but oh my
Little David was small but oh my
He fought big Goliath
Who lay down and dieth
David was small but oh my.

To get into heaven, don't snap for a seven
Live clean don't have no faults
Well, I take the gospel whenever it's possible
But with a grain of salt

Oh Jonah he lived in a whale
He made his home in
That fishes abdomen

Li'l Moses was found in a stream.
Li'l Moses was found in a stream.
He floated on water
Till Ol' Pharaoh's daughter,
She fished him, she said, from dat stream.

To get into heaven, don't snap for a seven
Live clean, don't have no faults
Well I take dat gospel whenever it's possble....
But with a grain of salt ....!

Methuselah lived 900 years
Methuselah lived 900 years
But who calls zat livin'
When no gal will give in
To no man what's 900 years

It ain't necessarily so
It ain't necessarily so
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible,

It ain't necessa

Ain't necessa

Ain't necessa

Ain't neccesa
Ain't necessarily so!

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2013 - 5:57PM #726
rocketjsquirell

River, gotta love it :-)

It Ain't Necessarily So

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQk8h46Gkk

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2013 - 7:10AM #727
river8101

Rocket,

I'm preachin' dis sermon to show,
It ain't nece-ain't nece
Ain't nece-ain't nece
Ain't necessarily ... so ! 

luv, riv

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2013 - 2:40PM #728
Bunsinspace

BS"D

One need not go as far back as the Jewish holy texts to find a demonstration of "it ain't necessarily so."   One can go back only as far as Napolean for example.   He is popularly remembered as being of short stature.   But he was nothing of the sort.

I believe I understand this phenomenon.   I always think of GW Bush as being short.   But he is also nothing of the sort.   My own mind plays the same tricks on me as it does on others.  It would be wise to keep one's physical perspective on rationality with hard evidence IMHO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 73 of 73  •  Prev 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook