Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Messianic group returning to Christianity in Toledo
5 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2012 - 4:58AM #1
Bunsinspace

BS"D

There was, for a few years, a Messianic group in Toledo named Adat Adonai.  It gradually disintegrated.  Then a Messianic group from another city moved in bearing the same name.  Then they changed it to Adat Adonai World Outreach Center.   This group has chosen to jettison its Jewish content and quasi-Hebrew jargon in favor of returning back to Jesus-centered theology and worship.  So much so that they have expressed accord with Jews for Jesus which the old Adat Adonai had distanced itself from due to J4J's inherent antisemitism.  (J4J not only jettisons all things religiously Jewish but they actively reject Judaism as superseded completely by Christianity which is their unambiguous faith.)

So far AAWOC does not appear to be radically anti-Jewish as is J4J, but the admission that Messianic Judaism is really another sect of Evangelical Christianity by virtue of these actions is refreshing to me compared with the charges of deception that inevitably trail MJ groups, not to mention J4J.

There are still a few die-hard followers in AAWOC that still assert the Jewish trappings of the previous AA, but the AAWOC leadership is very clear about its position on this.   Are we about to see an end to deceptive Evangelizing?  J4J OTOH is still espousing their "by any means necessary" form of proselytizing so it is unlikely IMHO.

Although this is the only MJ group I have interacted with being open and honest about their Christianity (excluding the J4J radicals), it does suggest hope for the future of the movement that it will be completely reconciled with its Christian parent faith and no longer an existential threat to the Jewish people.

Comments? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2013 - 9:22AM #2
river8101

I always liked and respected Ufretr (Ufie) who moderated this forum for years.  He converted to MJ, from Christianity, but he left the MJ  forum because of all the anti-Semitism that came over here.  He told me privately that the moderators wouldn't listen to his pleading about such a character as Avie, Malka, Kingdom, Aklamwoods.  Of course they were all the same person.  As soon as she got deleted, she'd just come back with a different name and the same crazy stories.  I think everyone knew all four names were the same person.

Ufie was a religious Jew.  He always kept all the holidays, and kept kosher.  He's on Facebook now.  We are still friends.  We write each other.   I always have trouble keeping the right date for kadish, so I ask him, and he gives it to me.  After 20 years, they don't send you the date anymore from the synagogue.  I know it's on the internet, but I don't quite know how to read it there.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2014 - 6:59AM #3
river8101

I'm afraid my above post had little if anything to do with Bunsinspace's post above it. Computer has been misbehaving ever since it was upgraded.  Probably meant for another post and it landed here.  Very sorry about that.

I'm glad that those MJ are leaving Judaism and returning to their own faith.  Obviously they never cared much about Judaism anyway, and some joined to learn more about the Jewish faith so they could use their knowledge for conversion purposes.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2014 - 4:57AM #4
river8101

It is doubtful that Messianics ever supported many Jewish beliefs.  They've always believed in Christianity, (Jesus) and just added a few Jewish holidays and ideas to their Christian beliefs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2015 - 2:43PM #5
river8101

I'm glad you're returning to your own faith.  We of the Jewish people are not interested in belonging to the Christian faith and the horrors you took part in, in so many past years.

www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook