Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 10:31PM #1
Theo

Lots of Churches believe in tithing... what do JWs believe and what is their practice?

Wik:

A tithe, a "tenth" is a one-tenth part of something, a paid contribution to a religious organization or compulsory tax to government. Today, tithes are normally voluntary and paid in cash, cheques, or stocks, whereas historically tithes were required and paid in kind, such as agricultural products. Several European countries operate a formal process linked to the tax system allowing some churches to assess tithes.

Traditional Jewish law and practice has included various forms of tithing since ancient times. Traditional Jews commonly practice tithing 10% of their income to charity. In modern Israel, Jews continue to follow the laws of agricultural tithing. In Christianity, some interpretations of Biblical teachings conclude that although tithing was practiced extensively in the Old Testament, it was never practiced or taught within the first-century Church. Instead the New Testament scriptures are seen as teaching the concept of "freewill offerings" as a means of supporting the church: 1 Corinthians 16:2, 2 Corinthians 9:7

I agree with the above quote taken from Wikipedia... How about JWs? Do you tithe... i.e. pay 10% of your gross income to the WatchTower?

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2012 - 1:52AM #2
Newtonian

Hi Theo! - We agree!

Here is a detailed discussion:

wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002881?q=Ti...

A shorter and more recent article:

wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2009571?q=Ti...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2012 - 11:15AM #3
ATALAYA

Why is tithing not required of Christians?

Under the Law given to ancient Israel, tithing was a means of supporting the tribe of Levi and caring for needy ones. (Leviticus 27:30; Deuteronomy 14:28, 29) The sacrificial death of Jesus abolished the Law and its tithing requirement. (Ephesians 2:13-15) In the early congregation, the pattern was for each Christian to give according to his means and as he resolved in his heart. (2 Corinthians 9:5, 7)—12/1, pages 4-6.

• w02 12/15 p. 30

(Isaiah 21:8) . . .Upon the watchtower, O Jehovah, I am standing constantly by day, and at my guardpost I am stationed all the nights.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2012 - 9:38PM #4
Theo

Wow, how about that!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2012 - 9:58PM #5
matica

Mark it on your calender, I kudo jw's on this topic. I've vistited dozens of demoninations, been to hundreds of different churches, and the jw's do less than all other's to pressure believers into tithing.  They have arranged for tithing just like all other churches have, but they don't make it a bi weekly message to give more to the church like most other churches I've attended.

Now granted most other churches offer more services than the jw's do, most other churches seek funds for community projects and world wide projects and most churches set themselves up as charity services for those who need food, clothing, protection from physical abuse. It's just unfortunate these other churches are also gathering tithes to pay for pastors livleyhoods, often with in the range of $88K per year, on top of recieving multiple tax exempt royalties.

I have respect for the appointed Elders of congregations for they do not recieve monetary compesation for their spiritual guidance. They have recieved freely, they give freely. You cannot say that about any other religion.

But is the same standard applied to the governing body?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2012 - 11:18PM #6
Svetlana

Aug 3, 2012 -- 9:58PM, matica wrote:

Mark it on your calender, I kudo jw's on this topic. I've vistited dozens of demoninations, been to hundreds of different churches, and the jw's do less than all other's to pressure believers into tithing.  They have arranged for tithing just like all other churches have, but they don't make it a bi weekly message to give more to the church like most other churches I've attended.

Now granted most other churches offer more services than the jw's do, most other churches seek funds for community projects and world wide projects and most churches set themselves up as charity services for those who need food, clothing, protection from physical abuse. It's just unfortunate these other churches are also gathering tithes to pay for pastors livleyhoods, often with in the range of $88K per year, on top of recieving multiple tax exempt royalties.

I have respect for the appointed Elders of congregations for they do not recieve monetary compesation for their spiritual guidance. They have recieved freely, they give freely. You cannot say that about any other religion.

But is the same standard applied to the governing body?

Matica, just a brief note to say that what you've posted about some other churches (maybe) is totally false when applied to all non-JW churches.  My pastor gets less than half the amount you name for most, and the pastors I'm acquainted with don't get nearly that amount either.  As to royalties, I don't know what you mean?  If a pastor writes a book, he is doing so as a private individual and must pay income tax on any money he earns from that book, even if it's a religious one.

We are not asked to tithe in my church.  That is, we are not asked to give 10% of our gross income to the church.  We are asked, once a year, to pledge what we think we can afford for the following year, to enable our board of trustees to create a budget, but it is fully understood that we all give a great deal to organizations outside the church, as well as money through the church, which contributes to other causes in our name.

In all the churches I have ever attended, not once has there been a comment made about giving more.  There may be an announcement that a special collection is being taken up for a specific cause, in addition to the regular collection, but there has never once been a comment made about increasing any giving.  The offertory is merely announced so that the ushers know to pass the plate, that's all.  Since so many members of most churches send a weekly or monthly check, there isn't ever even any judgement made about anyone not being seen giving anything.  All "observers" assume the ones just passing the plate have sent in a check.  Heck, the plate isn't even passed in my church's choir loft, and the treasurer is in the choir, because we all do send checks.  No judgements, no asking, just an opportunity to do what each individual feels moved to do.

Some churches are different.  I don't doubt your experience, it simply doesn't necessarilyu apply to more than a few churches.  

Let's go back to the thread theme, I just wanted to set the record straight.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2012 - 11:53PM #7
Oeste

I hope Atalaya and the other Witnesses are sitting down, because I agree with them. I don't believe Christians are required to tithe.

There is this church I love to go to, very active in the community. It's a large church and recently the site for Pastor Louis' homecoming after he was abducted by an Egyptian trying to free his uncle.

I love the sermons there...very solid and scripturally based. It's refreshing to see the young urban crowd, and I confess I never did like gospel music much but the singing and choir is first rate. Absolutely no one falls asleep during the sermon and except for its large size would be great for me... except for this one little hangup: tithing.

I almost stopped going there because of it. During one sermon, the pastor asked those who tithed to stand, which just seemed a method to help separate the church...sort of along the same lines JW's do when they have their two separate "classes". On another occasion, the reverend stated the church would help pay some of the bills of indebted members...bring in your credit card, mortgage payment or such...provided you completed a debt counseling session and were a tithing member.

I wanted to get up and scream when he told us that those who did not tithe were stealing from God, and a "No, no, NO!" when he claimed Christian should be giving 10%...not of the increase in crops we might be growing in our small back yard plots, but of our weekly take  home pay.

As far as the reverend himself...he takes no salary from the church and nothing from the tithe. His income comes purely from direct donations the church makes for him to continue the ministry. Tithes are used to pay the church bills, such as for heating, cooling, equipment and lighting.

When I grew up we read about tithes in church, but the churches I went to never required it. It was always giving from the heart or giving freely, not "under a compulsion." However, now that I am older and religion is not the "taboo" topic it once was, I find that a lot of my friends grew up in churches where tithing was expected.

To me, tithing simply divides the church, much like circumcision did the early church and WT theology does Jehovah Witnesses. I just don't see the need for it.

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag
you down to their level and then beat you with
experience ~ Mark Twain

If you are neutral on situations of injustice
you have chosen the side of the oppressor ~
Desmond Tutu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2012 - 3:49PM #8
Kemmer

To me, tithing simply divides the church, much like circumcision did the early church and WT theology does Jehovah Witnesses. I just don't see the need for it.

Just try to run hospitals, schools, foreign aid medical and education missions, soup kitchens on a daily basis, and support for highly educated clergy active in social and civic affairs, on congregations sitting for an hour or so and going home.

Tithing has its good and dubious points, for example if Mormons don't pony up with 10% of gross, they're liable to miss out on a frolicksome afterlife as deadbeats. 

People who want to listen to a shoe salesman read from the bible and pamphlets, and offer his opinions with no strings (sacrifices) attached, fine.  Most people like to think they are materially assisting in the Lord's work besides handing out magazines.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2012 - 6:03PM #9
Theo

Long time ago I heard a so-called "apostle" say, "You can fleece a sheep once a year, but can only skin'em once."  

Look, the very idea that some preachers demand that their congregates pay tithes on their gross income, I find staggering in the extreme. I understand that preachers have to secure the monies necessary to pay for the bills incurred by their various Churches... but my goodness; the New Testament is full of passages that provide the means for doing that... it encourages giving.

I have found over the years that Churches that provide the things their people need, do not worry that much about their support. Good worship, times of public prayer and fellowship, ministry opportunities and solid Bible teaching, and the money kind of takes care of itself... just like Jesus said it would when He said, "but you seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you, for your heavenly Father knows you have needs."

Sadly, in many Churches, tithing is the price for membership, and if you want to serve God, it's definitely the first qualifier. Perhaps tithing is the reason I have never done much within most of the Churches I've been part of over the years. I do not believe in tithing, not the way it's practices in most Churches. I believe that tithing one's income should be totally optional and completely based upon the individual or couple and their commitment to Christ. In other words, no one should feel compelled to tithe, in order to be pleasing to God, He is please with you if you believe in Him already. And honestly, God will not be more pleased with you if you tithe - He does not need your money, He wants your heart.

Tithing is not a sign you are a sincere committed Christian... it is a sign that you've been miss-taught and deceived by preachers more interested in your money than your soul. Of course, I understand that there are lots of good Christian ministers out there who believe in tithing... they are good because they love the Lord and are sincere men of God. But like many Christians, they are caught up in a false teaching that has been with the Church since the second century... and when you're entirely saturated with a traditional concept, its hard to see your way clear of it.

Moreover, when you've given 10% of your income for most of your life, it can be hard to admit that you were wrong, God does not require you to tithe in order to be pleased with you. I know Christians who are fearful that God will curse them... because that is what the prophet Malachi accused the Jews of. But the Jews where under the Law of Moses, and the curse of the Law was upon those who disobeyed any of the commandments. Christians are not under the Law, and so even if they tithe or do not tithe, God is not going to curse you - God loves you and does not require anything of you but your faith, and to do justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

So, having been freed from this yoke, do not use your freedom for an occasion to the flesh, but in love, serve one another... your Church still needs your support if they are worthy of it.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2012 - 7:53PM #10
mrjordan

Aug 3, 2012 -- 11:15AM, ATALAYA wrote:

Why is tithing not required of Christians?

Under the Law given to ancient Israel, tithing was a means of supporting the tribe of Levi and caring for needy ones. (Leviticus 27:30; Deuteronomy 14:28, 29) The sacrificial death of Jesus abolished the Law and its tithing requirement. (Ephesians 2:13-15) In the early congregation, the pattern was for each Christian to give according to his means and as he resolved in his heart. (2 Corinthians 9:5, 7)—12/1, pages 4-6.

• w02 12/15 p. 30

I'd like to add a note here: The new online library, online magazine and all paper publications are all provided free of charge. Home bible studies are free. I know that just about every person that is a Witness gets a Watchtower and Awake. At 7.5 million Witnesses that's at least 15 million magazines. If there is a new book, that's at least 7.5 million books needed. That barely scratches the surface. In 2010 1.6 billion hours were spent in field preaching. There is no known number of how many bibles, magazines, pamphlets etc were given out. All of these publications and online information depends solely on volunteer work and freely given donations from Jehovah's Witnesses and those interested ones who have decided that they would like to see the preaching work continue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook