Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What the hell is a "world view" anyway?
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 3:35AM #1
steven_guy
Can someone explain this to me?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 7:34AM #2
Sparky_Spotty

Apparently its an interpretation of everything around us that is filtered through some sort of pre-supposition glasses.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 9:15AM #3
Ken

"World view" is a literal translation of the German Weltanschauung. It expresses a German concept that would never occur to a normal person, and English speakers shouldn't use it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 9:24AM #4
farragut

Though I have emperical evidence of its rather spheroid nature, my view of the world is largely flat and tree-lined. I'm generally comfortable with that worldview.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 10:10AM #5
Blü

If we paraphrase 'worldview' as something like 'usual values and style for interpreting one's environment', the idea might not be altogether useless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 10:28AM #6
redshifted

I always likened it to some sort of overarching ideology...or something.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 10:29AM #7
Ken

William James didn't see any pressing need to use Weltanschauung. He just said "philosophy."

I know that you, ladies and gentlemen, have a philosophy, each and all of you, 
and that the most interesting and important thing about you is the way in which
it determines the perspective in your several worlds. You know the same of me.
And yet I confess to a certain tremor at the audacity of the enterprise which I am
about to begin. For the philosophy which is so important in each of us is not a
technical matter; it is our more or less dumb sense of what life honestly and deeply
means. It is only partly got from books; it is our individual way of just seeing and
feeling the total push and pressure of the cosmos.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 11:54AM #8
JCarlin

World(based)veiw of human existence is a theist perjorative of the opposite to the God view of human existence.  Very roughly overgeneralizing, a worldview is a philosophy based on the values of humanity and the natural world that supports them.  In general it does not involve kissing Hank's or any God's ass. This of course is heresy for all who kiss God's ass. (Or Balaam's ass, Jesus' ass or any other ass.) Now as for me I have never found an ass worth kissing. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 12:40PM #9
Ken

Jul 18, 2012 -- 11:54AM, JCarlin wrote:

World(based)veiw of human existence is a theist perjorative of the opposite to the God view of human existence.  Very roughly overgeneralizing, a worldview is a philosophy based on the values of humanity and the natural world that supports them. 

That might be a nice definition of "worldview" but it's not one that's actually used. I've frequently come upon references to "a Christian worldview," "a Muslim worldview," and so on. It seems to be a very trendy term nowadays, rather like "paradigm." There's often a strong implication that if something is part of your worldview (or paradigm) you don't have to rationally justify it and everyone must automatically respect it no matter how harebrained it might be. No doubt that explains why it's so popular on Beliefnet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2012 - 2:23PM #10
shirleyj227

It is a biblical term for most Germans.

Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement